OtakuBoards

It's here... it's finally here... and I cracked it... I finally cracked it...

Dan L

Yep. Just weeks ago Deus Ex came out on the PS2. I'm not one to play my games for hours through the night, so I finished it a few days ago, but I am amazed... I never did finish the PC version, I got the dragon's tooth sword and then didn't get to finish.

A few things struck me:

1- Difficulty.

The game is mad a hell of a lot easier due to the fact that all of the seperate body parts, which used to have their own health meters, ar brought into one. A single head shot can no longer bring you so near to death, because the head shares it's meter with the rest of the body. And if you fall from a height, you no longer have to crawl around because your legs are hurt, until you heal them - for the same reason i also think medkits heal too much. On the easy mode, anyway. At first they heal 40, then 80, 160, and 320 out of 400 respectively, for each skill level. I don't know about the other skill levels, I'm starting on them now.

2- Maps

The maps haven't been cut too much- I thought they did a great job of that, but instead they were divided far more than the original. Liberty Island, which used to be one big map, with the exception of UNATCO HQ, is now 4 maps. First is the area around UNATCO HQ (The Dock where you start is now connected to the HQ). Second is the side of the island where you start on the PC game. Third is the side of the island where you meet Filben, and finally, he inside of the statue.

Hell's kitchen is now 3 seperate maps, excluding the areas which were on different maps before, lke the Ton hotel and the bar, and Smuggler's Lair.

Overall, the size of the game is the same, but the maps have had to be cut into smaller peices, meaning that their layout had to be changed slightly, also.

3- Items

All the original items remain, except for the laser sight mod, which ion storm left out because it never worked the way they wanted it to. I'm not sure if there was a reload mod (reduces reload time) before, but I don't remember it from the PC version.

The HUGE difference in items is that there is no limited space as such- you can carry any amount of things. On my file, I had 5 Tech Goggles, Rebreathers, Thermoptic Camos, Ballistic Armors, and Fire Extinguishers, as well as several augmentation and upgrade canisters, and several weapon mods, and [i]all[/i] the melee weapons. This is because the interface has been changed a lot, to the same stle as standar FPS shooters. The only problem is, you can only carry 4 gun-type weapons. before, you could have the pistol and stealth pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun, assault rifle, and maybe a GEP (though it takes up a lot of space) now you can just carry 4 weapons. Shame.

Overall, the game is great. Just as good to play. I'm not sure if the endings have been re-made for the PS2 version, but they are great.

I have to say, my favourite ending is the Helios ending (this is not a spoiler, as I never said what happens).

I rented it and loved it. But the thing you mentioned about the health bars is interesting. I may have to play the computer version.

Im glad to see you finally got Deus Ex though. You where waiting for it for a long time.

Oh I think it was you I was talkign to a while back...have you done any more 3d? If this question makes no sense to you I have the wrong person so just ignore it.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Amphion [/i]
[B]I rented it and loved it. But the thing you mentioned about the health bars is interesting. I may have to play the computer version.

Im glad to see you finally got Deus Ex though. You where waiting for it for a long time.

Oh I think it was you I was talkign to a while back...have you done any more 3d? If this question makes no sense to you I have the wrong person so just ignore it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, that question does make sense, but no, I haven't done any more just yet. I've had a lot of other things on my mind recently. Which doesn't stop me going on the PS2, but anything creative kind of goes downhill, so i gave up for a while.

Anyway, yes, the computer version had 6 different health meters: 2 arms, 2 legs, head and torso. Each meter had 90 points. If all health to your legs is lost, you have to crawl (As health is lost to them, you slow down as well). As health is lost in your arms, the weapon becomes more inaccurate. If all health is lost to your Torso or head, you die, meaning that you can't survive a GEP rocket, as I have done in the PS2 version. On the PS2 version, I think they just put all the health meters into one, which isn't quite as good, though it is a lot easier. Also, in the PC version you have to be more aware of the space in your inventory, as you often have to get rid of unnecessary items to make room for more important ones.

Cool, I like the sound of the computer version better. It makesit a little more difficult but it is realistic. I like realistic games. Most games allow you to walk around carrying enough weapons to arm a small army. I always wondered how these guys toat all that stuff. But anyway, If you ever do anymore 3d let me know, I wold like to see it.

Guest Shift
[size=1]You lucy dog Deus! I only got the PS2 version! I have Deus Ex the original on my comp, man did my comp slow down after that..[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Herman [/i]
[B][size=1]You lucy dog Deus! I only got the PS2 version! I have Deus Ex the original on my comp, man did my comp slow down after that..[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

me too.. I've played the PC version, but I don't actually have it.. which is why I got the PS2 ersion.. actually, come to think of it, it's why I got a PS2 ... (Deus Ex was supposed to be out in Febrary)