spike speigel Posted November 29, 2002 Posted November 29, 2002 Does any one here listen to any ska bands? If so, who do you listen to? What do you think of ska? I listen to a lot of ska bands, like Reel Big fish, Catch22, Face First, the Dissenters, and tons more. I really like ska music. The fast beat really rubs off on me. I would appreciate your questions, comments, or concerns.
Turkey Posted November 29, 2002 Posted November 29, 2002 I myself am okay with ska (plenty of songs I like), but I've got 2 friends that are pretty hardcore ska fans...
Schrat Posted November 29, 2002 Posted November 29, 2002 i dont really listen to ska, but a few kids in my school wear like bands shirts and always talk about ska stuf...
PiroMunkie Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 [color=indigo]Mighty Mighty Bosstones rule over them all. That is all you really need to know about ska. :whoops: I do listen to ska. One band you did not mention also is Mustard Plug. They are pretty good, as well.[/color]
spike speigel Posted November 30, 2002 Author Posted November 30, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i] [B][color=indigo]Mighty Mighty Bosstones rule over them all. That is all you really need to know about ska. :whoops: I do listen to ska. One band you did not mention also is Mustard Plug. They are pretty good, as well.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE] mustard plug is pretty good, and so are the mighty mighty bosstones, but i don't think they rule. I think the best ska band is The impossibles, or slapstick. they're both great.
Semjaza Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 My favorite ska band is still the Voodoo Glow Skulls. I've not met anyone else who knows who they are, but they have been on quite a few of the bigger punk comps already. They played in some town north of Chicago here... I forget who was that main act they were with, but it was kind of in the middle of nowhere and the crowd was too small to be any fun. Voodoo Glow Skulls were great though, and they had this guy dressed as some voodoo guy dancing around. Fun times. Delinquent Song comes to mind as worth downloading :).
Transtic Nerve Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 Me likey ska... Me likey Japanese ska too... KESERI IS SUUPA!
PiroMunkie Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel[/i] [B]My favorite ska band is still the Voodoo Glow Skulls. I've not met anyone else who knows who they are...[/B][/QUOTE][color=indigo]Yes you have. You just did not [i]know[/i] that I knew who they were. :p Voodoo Glow Skulls are quite interesting. They are worth the listen.[/color]
spike speigel Posted November 30, 2002 Author Posted November 30, 2002 Voodoo glow skulls? Never heard of them. How are they?
Guest Morph Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 I really don't listen to SKA much but isn't punk and SKA basically the same thing? Well I like Operation Ivy and Suicide Machines.
TheShinje Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i] [B]Me likey ska... Me likey Japanese ska too... KESERI IS SUUPA! [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial][color=red] Japanese ska? cool! must go anf ind some now, *walks off and goes on wild search for some J-Ska :D [/color] [/FONT]
spike speigel Posted November 30, 2002 Author Posted November 30, 2002 I have a cd of a bunch of different j-ska bands. It is really good. So is j-punk, but now back to topic. To answer your question morph, ska and punk are basically the same thing except ska is more up beat and has trumpets, trombones, saxaphones, and other brass instruments in it.
Mist Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 [color=crimson][size=1] Ska is pretty cool. It's better than pop, that's for sure.[/color][/size]
Guest Musahi Posted November 30, 2002 Posted November 30, 2002 [size=1]Well, if my memory serves me well than Sublime is ska. If so, than yes, I am listening to ska right now. :) The MIghty Mighty Bostones are alright, from what I have heard anyway. The only song I can recall is, "Ever had to Knock on Wood?" I guess, I'll need to look into Mustard PLug though, they sound alright.[/size]
spike speigel Posted November 30, 2002 Author Posted November 30, 2002 Yeah, sublime is ska. I think they're great. Has anyone here heard of slapstick? They're really good bad, but they broke up.
Cora Jane 2 Posted December 13, 2002 Posted December 13, 2002 Well, two things. One Ska and Punk are similar, but as stated before, Ska has more brass. Brass and horns are required for ska, and that is what makes it so great. Secondly, some good ska bands are 'The Insyderz', 'The O.C. Supertones', and 'Five Iron Frenzy' ('All The Hype That Your Money Can Buy' is an excellent CD). That's all that I can think of off hand. But I couldn't tell you a better ska CD to buy that Five Iron Frenzy. Enjoy and remember Ska Music Rules!!
spike speigel Posted December 14, 2002 Author Posted December 14, 2002 I just got the Slow Gherkin c.d. the other day. They're really good. I also got The Impossibles' new c.d., another great ska band.
Cora Jane 2 Posted December 14, 2002 Posted December 14, 2002 Really, I might have to check them out.
Bing Posted December 15, 2002 Posted December 15, 2002 hmm...this is a big hmm...do you mean modern ska, because the bands you are mentionaing are not original ska. I am a big fan of modern ska, but original ska is something completley different. Original ska, is something of a blend of reggae and alot of brass and steel drums. It is a traditional west indian music, and it is very similar to Reggae. Modern ska is a more updated breed of ska, introducing electric guitars etc. Both are very good, but I thought I would let you know the roots of the band in this topic. Oh yeah, and the kings of ska, are the amazing Engilsh band...[Spunge] :p
spike speigel Posted December 15, 2002 Author Posted December 15, 2002 These guys are modern ska, alright.
TheShinje Posted December 15, 2002 Posted December 15, 2002 [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cyko [/i] [B][size=1]Well, if my memory serves me well than Sublime is ska. If so, than yes, I am listening to ska right now. :) The MIghty Mighty Bostones are alright, from what I have heard anyway. The only song I can recall is, "Ever had to Knock on Wood?" I guess, I'll need to look into Mustard PLug though, they sound alright.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE] [size=1] [FONT=century gothic] [color=crimson] The Ever had to knock on wood song is called, from my recollection, The impression that i get. It's on the Digimon soundtrack :D that is pretty cool. Also, Sublime is ska, so I guess you are (or were) listening to some cool ska. My favorite ska bands are Sublime, Mustard Plug, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the guys who did the ska tetris theme which was really funny! [/size] [/FONT] [/color]
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now