OtakuBoards

Suggestion on Moved threads

TheShinje

[size=1] [FONT=century gothic] [color=crimson] Recently, I have been thinking about threads that have been moved to another thread in which the post was more relevant, but my question is, what is the purpose of moving a thread when it kind of stays where it is?

For example, let's say that the Blah Blah thread was in otaku gamer, but it really should have been in lounge. A moderator moves the Blah Blah thread over to it's respective spot, however, while the Blah Blah thread is now in Lounge, there is still a marker in Gamer which says [u] Moved:Blah Blah [/u] so, in theory it is now in 2 forums!

I have moderated on Vbulletin boards before, and I know that there is an option to move the thread without leaving the pointer there, so I think it is a good idea to put that plan into motion, after all, It is better than having the same thread in 2 forums, even though the marker will eventually dissapear. [/size] [/FONT] [/color]

[b][color=003399]The reason it normally has the redirect in the previous forum is so the maker (and any other participants in the thread prior to it being moved) can easily find it, and aren't confused by the fact that they cannot find the thread in the forum they posted it in.

Also, people who saw/read the thread previously and decided to post later on might not know where it went without the redirect.[/b][/color]

[color=#507AAC]What you're bringing up is a moot point. The thread is not essentially in two forums. It is in [i]one[/i] forum, but redirected from another.

If we move threads without leaving a redirection, people who were having a discussion within the thread may not know where to locate it. Redirections are also somewhat like closed threads -- people can see what has been redirected and why. These continual reminders are really important; they help to keep the rules and site policies fresh in members' minds.[/color]