OtakuBoards

-Escape from Chateau Morte-

Dragon Warrior

This would be my newest chapter book. There are only two people in this story based on REAL people. Gavin Daskar would be based on me, Gavin Brown. Amber Cotter would be based on Amber (last name not shown) which was once known as SSJ Chic here on Otakuboards. Now then, I'll post each chapter as I finish them. Your support is very important to me because it's inspiration and helps me finish this book. But sometimes I don't get any support. I don't finish many books that way. But that's okay. I just want you to enjoy.

First, the plot: It's about this crew of pirates coming from Isle Elegante to deliver an important letter to Risha Rocks of Isle Loch. But they get lured into the shores of a mysterious island with only 2 days left to get to Risha Rocks before it's too late. They need a ship and thy don't have time to wait for a ship to be built or thirs to be repaired. They have only one choice. To get a ship from the master of the dark castle of Chateau Morte. It may be fatal, but it's the only chance they've got.

Here's Chapter 1!

It was a normal day on Isle Elegante. The crowds were rushing like a quick river, all having their own important events to attend to. And what a day to do such errands. It was beautiful out and the sun shined through the broken clouds in the afternoon skies. What a grand day, indeed.

On Isle Elegante is the town of Tresor, a city known to have many wealthy business men and women. The name suits it well, Tresor being French for ?treasure?. As well as business men and women, there are many shipbuilders and captains found there. It?s usually an elegant meeting place for them to find out what to do and to assign what voyages to who.

On this very day, in the very town of Tresor, there was a man on a mission. A stout man, quite the handsome fellow and medium size in height wise. He?d be around his 20?s by now and found himself in a new job. This new occupation takes it?s toll this day. He gets to finally go on a voyage. A voyage to deliver a special letter to someone across seas. He was forbidden to read the letter, but he could be trusted. He was an honest man, for sure.

His name is Gavin Daskar. Doesn?t sound too much like a pirate name, now does it? But you must remember, he?s no pirate really. AS such, he finds himself traveling to the wealthy shipmaster, Lumiere Montgomery, a man high in his class. He was the one who?s sending Gavin on such a mission. And Mr. Montgomery clearly stated in his letter ?This is a very important mission. Lots of lives count on it!? Gavin already knew what it was about. Many had. It was all about a war that may start against two nations. One was the good people of Isle Loch and the other were cut-throat pirates of the mangy waters. Nasty bunch, they are.

So, Gavin is following the directions of the letter to get to Mr. Montgomery?s residents. There, they will conduct business and find out who will be captain and what ship will be sailed. Gavin began skimming the letter to find where he left off. He didn?t even watch where he was going and bumped into a woman. She dropped many scrolls onto the ground. Gavin immediately picked them up and handed them to her with a look of despair, as if to say ?sorry?. He meant it, but it didn?t come out.

The woman pushed back some of her long, blonde hair and shook her head, angrily. ?Watch where you?re going next time.? She stormed off leaving Gavin in awe. What a rude person. Of course, he never did say sorry.

But events like that couldn?t delay Gavin any longer. He rushed even quicker now because the meeting was at one o?clock and the town clock had already struck 12:30. He found himself lost for a minute and then at the street that Montgomery?s house was located on. He followed the directions carefully and walked through a gate of a nicely-painted picket fence. He admired the fabulous lawn decorations. Many of the bushes were chopped into shapes resembling animals. Even one was Montgomery himself.

After admiring the gardens, Gavin proceeded up the steps and to the door. He took hold of a ring hanging from a silver lion?s mouth on the door and banged it three times against the wood. He heard footsteps come closer to the door, telling him someone was approaching. Then, the door swung open revealing a butler. A man of Gavin?s size, but a bit chubbier. He had a large grin on his face and looked proud to be serving such a man like Lumiere Montgomery.

?And you are??? the butler asked after looking Gavin over.

?Gavin Daskar,? Gavin replied. After some silence, he detailed his answer, ?The one who has come for the letter to be taken over the seas. Ya know??

?Oh! Yes!? the butler cheered as if to just win a fabulous prize. ?How silly of me. At my age, I can?t remember too much. I guess I?m getting too old.?

?Nonsense. You don?t look a day over twenty.? Gavin charmed as the butler let him enter. The butler chuckled and closed the door behind. The inside was even larger looking than the outside. The ceiling was so far up, you?d have to use ten ladders to at least get close to touching it. Then all the walls were covered with bookcases occupied by hundreds of books. Wherever there wasn?t a bookshelf, there was a portrait of some kind. Some were priceless and famous antiques, Gavin recognized.

?Please,? the butler broke the silence, ?Take a seat. Master Montgomery will be with you shortly.? He bowed and left the room through the right door. But Gavin didn?t have a seat. Instead, he skimmed through the bookshelf. He was fascinated by how many books there were. So many of all different genres. Some not even for young eyes. Gavin picked one off the shelf that was about history of Isle Elegante when the right door that the butler exited through swung open once more. Gavin nearly dropped the book in surprise.

He carefully put it back on the shelf of the tightly-packed books and grinned as a greeting to Lumiere who entered after the butler. ?Master Gavin, I?d like to introduce Master Lumiere Montgomery.? Lumiere approached Gavin and nodded. Gavin nodded back and shook an out-stretched hand from Montgomery.

?Nice to finally meet you, sir.? Gavin chirped.

?Quite. I hope you liked the company of Rogers. He?s a good butler and a life-long friend of mine. A good joke pops out of him now and then.? Lumiere turned to his butler, Rogers and nodded. ?Thank you, Rogers. Can we have two drinks, please?? Rogers bowed and left the room once more. Montgomery turned back to the amused Gavin.

?I hope you like fine wines.?

?Who doesn?t?? Gavin kidded.

?Quite true.? Montgomery walked over and took a seat on a silk-cushioned couch. He nodded to a silk chair and then at Gavin. ?Please, have a seat. We must discuss business.?

?Oh, of course.? Gavin said, quickly making his way to the chair. He seated himself comfortably, though, he didn?t feel comfortable, being with this rich and powerful man. Who knows if anything Gavin does will offend him. It was a long wait before Montgomery began to talk, but was quickly interrupted by Rogers reentering with the drinks. He handed both Gavin and Lumiere the glasses and bowed.

?Thank you, Rogers. That?ll be all.?

?Very good, sir.? Rogers replied, and he gave Gavin a quick smile before leaving. Now Gavin realized it wasn?t so bad here after all. He could be in much worse.

?Now then,? Mr. Montgomery began, ?As I said in my note to you, I need you to take a certain letter to a certain destination. And you are not to read it!?

?I know.? Gavin responded, but it was more of a choke.

?Good. Now then, I need you to take the letter to Risha Rocks. I assume you know where that is.?

?But of course, sir.?

?Please, call me Montgomery. All my friends do.?

?Alright, Montgomery.?

?So, now that we have that part figured out, we must get a ship and a captain. And of course a crew. But I have gathered some of the finest sailors for this trip so that part is covered. I have taken the liberty to already assign a captain and ship.?

?Oh. Working ahead of time, eh??

?Yes. It?s the best way. That way, you don?t have to wait any longer and the job can be done quickly.?

?Okay. Sounds good. What ship??

?The Deesse!?

?Oh wow! That is one of best!?

?Built by my own hands and I named it too. Deesse means Goddess my language, French.?

?Oh, you?re French??

?Yes, can?t you tell??

?Well, the name fits.?

?Yes. But anyways, we can?t get side-tracked. Back to business. You shall take Deesse. She is one of the fastest and strongest ships in this very harbor. You must take it. It?ll get the job done so quickly. And speaking of time, you have a time limit for this mission.?

?I do??

?Yes. Let?s just say, something?s gonna happen that this letter talks about and if this letter isn?t sent to Risha Rocks in the next four days? well? something bad will happen. I can?t say too much.?

?You can count on me, Mr. Montgomery.?

?That?s what I like to hear. I?ll prepare the Deesse as soon as this meeting is through.?

?Oh yeah. That reminds me. So, who?s the captain??

?One of the best and it only matches if she has the Deesse.?

?She??

?Yes. Your captain will be Captain Amber Cotter. She?s very strong-willed and a good leader too. A perfect captain for the voyage.?

He then got up and walked to a door. His footsteps sounded loud as many thoughts rushed through Gavin?s head. Gavin?s gaze followed Montgomery to the door.

Montgomery opened it and revealed another room. He beckoned Gavin and he got up from his chair. Montgomery gestured again and Gavin entered the open room. It was bare from what you see when you first enter.
?Gavin Daskar, meet your captain.? Gavin turned to see the blonde-haired girl he bumped into on the streets.

?Nice to see you again,? Amber greeted Gavin, her grin showing that she?s enjoying this more than being happy to see him. ?How about you??

?Charmed.? Gavin said under his breath.

And now, here's Chapter 2 as well:

[B]CHAPTER 2[/B]

What a surprise this was. The girl that he was rude to on the streets is really the fine captain of Deesse. Gavin muttered to himself in the most annoyed way.

?Oh? You two already know one another?? Montgomery asked happily.

?You could say that.? Captain Cotter replied, half cheerful, half annoyed as Gavin was.

?Well, good then. That gets us off to a fine start.? Lumiere turned back to Gavin who was looking down at his leather shoes. ?Don?t worry about a thing, Gavin Daskar. I have given Captain Cotter here, all the information needed for the voyage. Including time scale, provisions, stops and all that. The voyage will take about three days so you have time to stop at a few places.? Gavin lifted his head up.

?That sounds good.?

?Ahem? Mr. Montgomery,? Amber Cotter said, approaching the two. ?I will take good care of the Deesse and her crew. You can count on me.?

Montgomery smiled. ?Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear. You?re a fine captain, Cotter, and I?ll make sure you get a big promotion when you return.? Montgomery then turned back to Gavin. ?And you as well, Mr. Daskar. You shall both get good promotions.? Captain Cotter glared at Gavin, but only Gavin noticed. Montgomery took another sip of his wine and headed for the door. ?Well then, it?s settled. We shall leave tomorrow. Is that okay, Captain??

?But of course, sir.? Amber replied professionally.

?Excellent to hear. Just excellent. Then I suggest you get prepared, Captain Cotter. We?ll need you in good health for tomorrow?s voyage.?

?Yes, sir.? Amber marched across the room to the door, but didn?t leave before giving Gavin one last glare. Once she was gone, Lumiere turned to Gavin and spun his wine glass around in his hand.

?You may stay the night here, Gavin. My treat.?

This amazed Gavin quite much. ?Th-thank you, sir! I?m honored!?

?It?s the most I can do.? He then lead Gavin back into the front lobby and to his room where he?d sleep for that night.

The next day was just as busy, but was even more exciting for Gavin. After a marvelous, gigantic breakfast with Montgomery himself, Gavin was sent straight to the docks. It?d be an hour-long walk since Tresor was so big and the crowds so packed, but it was pleasing to finally be off on an adventure. He was so cheerful, he greeted almost anyone he passed with a hand shake or a friendly ?Hello?.

He was so high-spirited that he didn?t even notice the time pass and before very long, he could see the tall masts of the immense ships at Tresor harbor. The sails so great, some set, some still up. Gavin walked over and past a few crowds here and there and met with some of the crew that were going to board the Deesse.

?So you?re Gavin Daskar, eh?? a chubby one said. ?Name?s Bog. This here is Rodan. And this other fellow is Yukon.?

?Nice to meet you all.? Gavin said politely.

Rodan, a skinny one, was the next to speak. ?So did you check out our captain? It?s Amber Cotter! She?s hot stuff!?

?Yeah. Real nice.? Yukon agreed.

?What do you think, Daskar?? Bog questioned Gavin.

?Me? Well? I?? He was saved by the bell. A ship bell. It was the sound to tell crews to board the ship immediately or get left behind. Gavin disappeared quickly and Bog and his friends couldn?t see where he went. Gavin managed to get to the Deesse with no problems whatsoever. Well, until he got to the boarding plank. There stood Captain Cotter herself.

?So, there you are, Daskar. Wonder when you?d show up.?

?Greetings, Captain.? Gavin said, annoyed.

She seemed to enjoy him call her Captain. ?You may board. If you are hungry, go down to the kitchen below.? Gavin was amazed. She seemed nice now. ?Get moving! We have other crew members waiting!? she shouted fiercely. Maybe she didn?t seem nice. Gavin followed orders and boarded.

The ship was extravagant. Fit for a king, it seemed. Gavin walked around in the same spots over and over again just admiring it, but he stopped when people began to stare. He didn?t want to look like a peasant. Not that he was one. He peered back at Amber. She seemed nice to the others, but cruel to him. He pondered the thought. Maybe it was just because he was him. Or maybe because he bumped into her and didn?t say he was sorry. But that?s a lame excuse for holding a grudge on someone. Gavin decided it was nothing and wandered off.

He was quickly stopped by a roar from his stomach. He was hungry. He popped down to the kitchen below. A big man was chopping chicken with a large knife. He looked up from his work and wiped some of the raw chicken from his chin. ?Hey there, lad. What can I do for ya??

?Just something light. To clear the journey jitters.?

?Something light it is.? The man quickly washed his hands in a nearby sink and fetched a loaf of bread. He handed it to Gavin and smiled. ?And there?s plenty more where that came from.? He then sent Gavin up on deck because he had chores to attend to. Gavin walked up the stairs, but bumped into Captain Cotter on the way.

?Already stuffing your face, I see.?

?You said go to the kitchen-?

?Don?t talk back!? Amber snapped. But she didn?t say more. She just walked on to check up on the rest of the ship.

?I really don?t like her.? Gavin said under his breath. He started on again, but bumped into someone else. This time, a big tummy. It was Bog and his buds.

?Hey there, Daskar. What?s shakin?? Can you share the wealth, there??

?Sure.? Gavin handed them all some of the loaf of bread. There was enough for everyone.

?Thanks.? Bog said happily as he munched his piece. ?So, Daskar. Are you gonna answer us? What do you think of Captain Cotter??

Gavin still didn?t say anything, partly because he didn?t want to, but also partly because he was swallowing some bread.

?Well?? urged Rodan.

?Yeah? Isn?t she hot?? Yukon chuckled.

Gavin looked up at them. His expression was no longer a smile. He had ate all his bread, but he wasn?t upset about that. He began to speak. ?You wanna know what I think of her??

?Yeah.? The three of them said together.

?Well?? Gavin began, ?I think she is obnoxious and cruel. She yells about anything I do. I do what she says, she hates it. She doesn?t seem very captain-like to me!? Bog and his friends were wide-eyed. But not because of what Gavin said. Gavin turned around to see why and it was because Captain Cotter was right there listening.

W00t! Chapter 3!

[B]Chapter 3[/B]

?Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot, Daskar.? Captain Cotter said, pacing back in forth in her Captain?s Cabin. Gavin sat in a chair and watched her pass back and forth, grim thoughts in his mind. But he quickly erased them, afraid she might be able to read minds. Amber stopped and looked at Gavin. ?What do you think, Daskar??

Gavin didn?t answer for a minute, but then replied, ?Yes?. It was more of a question than an answer.

?I see.? Amber nodded and started to pace again. Her constant pacing annoyed Gavin to the extreme. But he kept his cool. Besides, she was the captain, even if she was a jerk. ?Well, I can?t really say anymore since the ship is about to set sail.? Gavin sighed with relief. ?But?? Amber added. Gavin groaned. ?I want you to do a job for me.?

The job wasn?t as bad as it seemed. It turned out, Captain Amber just wanted him to do lookout up in the middle mast. From there, he could see everything. It was great! A bit strange Amber was being nice again. But Gavin didn?t trust it?d last for long.

As the last crew members boarded after saying goodbye to their families, the ship bells tolled one last time. The ship was now leaving. Many people gathered around the Tresor Harbor just to see this. They all cheered as the Deesse started out of it?s dock. Gavin had a great view of this. Not to mention he didn?t go deaf from all the people screaming down there. The only real problem was it was closing in on evening and he was a bit chilled up there. He shivered from time to time, but it was mostly because of his excitement that flooded through his veins. ?I?m finally on a voyage across the sea.? he said out loud to himself.

It started off a bit rocky once they were clear of the shores of Isle Elegante. The shallows tend to be like that. Even the shallows didn?t effect him much up there in the mast, though. It was so silent up there, he didn?t hear a thing from down below. Hardly even the sea itself. But that silence was broken by the voice of Bog. Gavin didn?t recognize it was Bog?s voice at first, but after a second call up to him, Gavin could tell. Gavin peered over the crow?s nest and saw Bog, Rodan, and Yukon.

?Yeah? What is it?? Gavin called back down.

?What happened to you, mate?? Rodan answered.

?Yeah. What did she do to you?? Yukon asked stiffly.

The two of them were elbowed in the gut by Bog. Bog stared back up at Gavin who was confused more than ever. ?Don?t mind these two goons. C?mon down, mate! We?re having a feast!?

It was true! A feast fit for a Goddess as the ship?s name interprets. Many, many dishes were served on long tables. Everyone on the ship was there. Bog and his boys entered followed by Gavin. The first person Gavin spotted was his captain, sitting in her chair at the middle table, all the way at the end. It gave her a fair lookout of the whole room. That made Gavin a bit uneasy.

Bog elbowed Gavin in the arm softly to get attention. ?Let?s dig in, eh?? Gavin woke up from his trance and looked back at Bog.

?What??

?I said, let?s dig in!?

?Oh.? Gavin said blankly, but recovered to a cheerful phase. ?Okay! Let?s go!?

?Dibs on those rolls!? Yukon squirmed past rows of people serving themselves. The Deesse was known for having big, fat feasts on her voyages. It was almost every other night, especially when it was a very important quest. The biggest was the one held for when they began their journey and when they?re on their way back. How could Gavin forget this? That?s why it was so quiet!

Gavin found himself taking almost everything in sight. He grew up a larger appetite in the past few hours than he had in his whole life. He then seated himself next to his new friends Bog, Rodan, and Yukon. Bog was already on his second serving by then and was eating a roll he stole from Yukon when he wasn?t looking when he said, ?I won?t tell Rodan and Yukon if you tell me what happened with you and Cap?n. Trust me. If you tell Rodan and Yukon, they?re blurt it out to the whole bleepin? ship. They don?t know how to keep their mouths shut. I do!?

Gavin sighed and put down some meat he was just about to devour. ?Okay. This is all that happened.? Gavin said, softly.

?Yes?? Bog egged on.

?She said we must?ve gotten off on the wrong foot then she assigned me to the crow?s nest as lookout duty.? Gavin turned back to his meal and found his roll missing and magically appearing in Yukon?s mouth. He sighed again and lifted his meat.

?That?s it? Man, you got off easy. She must like you or something?.?

?Ha!? Gavin burst out. ?Like me? That?s the last thing she thinks of me. She?s been treatin? me nasty ever since I met her.?

?Well, I?m not wrong often, my friend. I know these things.?

?Yeah, well, you?re wrong this time.? Gavin looked back down at his late and noticed his meat had a big bite mark in it. He hadn?t taken a bite yet. ?I?m gonna go get some more meat.? He got up from his spot at the table and walked back to the buffet area. He took some more meat and rolls. Actually, quite a few rolls since he?d know Yukon would be after them. He also got another glob of mashed potatoes because it was his favorite.

He turned back around and met eye to eye with Captain Amber. Why is she always there when I turn around?, Gavin thought to himself, but Amber probably could tell his thoughts by his face expression.

?Having a good time, Daskar?? Amber asked friendly. Gavin thought it was too suspicious.

?Yes, thank you, Captain.? he emphasized the word captain.

?Good.? She looked down at his plate with a look of disapproval. ?Have enough rolls??

?Oh. Umm? some are for Yukon.?

?But of course. Yukon does like his rolls. He pretty much likes any type of food, actually. Carry on then.? She passed him and took up a plate of her own. Gavin didn?t say for a second longer, though. He couldn?t stand her. Believe it or not, they were the same age, but she acted more mature beyond her years. Far more than Gavin. That was one of the strings she tended to pluck that annoyed Gavin.

Gavin took his over-loaded plate back to his seat only to find it taken by some tall fellow. Gavin just stood there, but no one seemed to notice. Gavin tapped on the man?s shoulder and he turned. ?Yes?? he asked rudely.

Gavin couldn?t believe the insolence. ?This is my seat.? he glared.

?Really?? The man looked over the chair he was in. ?Funny, I don?t see your name on it.? Everyone started to laugh. Well, except Gavin. The man wiped away a tear and stood up. ?But seriously, no hard feelings right? I just want to talk to some people around here. You can have my seat.?

?Where?s that?? Gavin questioned, still a bit angry.

?Take this slip of paper. The seat number is on it.? The man handed him a little piece of paper. Gavin was amazed. Only officials and important people had numbered seats. And only one table on the Deesse was numbered. The middle table. ?I?ll see you around then.? He patted Gavin on the shoulder again and seated himself to talk to Bog.

Gavin was still shocked, but slowly made his way to the middle table. He dropped off almost a dozen rolls to Yukon first, of course. It seemed forever before getting there because of his walking pace, but once there, he started to search for his number. He peered at the paper. ?3,? he said out loud, but mostly to himself. ?Wow. That?s right up at the top.? He walked his way past all the people that were sitting at the middle table. They all looked rich and very, very important. To see a man like Gavin Daskar make his way up the middle table was quite a shocker and they all couldn?t help up stare at him.

He didn?t care, though. He just kept on walking. When he finally found seat 3, he also found a atrocious surprise. His seat was right next to Captain Cotter?s. Her eyes gleamed and she motioned for him to sit. He did and place his plate and glass on the table. He couldn?t help, but to ask what he had thought the minute he saw her there. ?Did you set this up??

?Hm?? Amber said, acting like nothing happened.

?Did you make it so that man would take my seat and I?d have to sit here??

?Oh, you must mean Jesse. No. Not at all. He merely wanted to mingle with the lower classes, that?s all.? Gavin didn?t fully believe, but he didn?t say he did. There was a long silence between the two of them. The other conversations between other crew members carried on, but that was all. Amber was the one to break the silence. ?So, Daskar, do you know why Montgomery chose you to deliver the letter??

?Yeah? sure I do.? Gavin replied with a full mouth.

?Really? Then why??

?Why?? Gavin swallowed before going on. ?Because he?s heard about how good of a messenger I am. He?s heard that I can deliver letters quickly and on time. Sometimes earlier. That?s why.? Gavin took a bite of his mashed potatoes and waited for Amber?s reply.

?Ha! Really??

?Yes. Why do you laugh? Am I not right??

?No, no. You?re right. I just laugh because you aren?t getting a real big promotion. Neither am I. Montgomery is cheap. He doesn?t keep to his word.?

?Really??

?Yes. He?s cheated me out so many times before. I can?t believe I?m even doing this voyage for him. I don?t trust him. You do.? He ate some more pasta she had on her plate, but didn?t look back at Gavin.

?Is that why you?re holding a grudge against me? Because I trust Montgomery??

?What grudge??

?Never mind.? Gavin was saved by the return of Jesse who asked for his seat back. Gavin handed him the slip of paper and got up from the chair. ?good night, Captain.? He left the middle table and returned to his seat next to Bog.

He didn?t sleep in the crow?s nest very well. Partly because the wind was so cold. Also because it was quite cramped. Maybe this is why Captain Amber put him up there. She knew this would happen. Gavin grinded his teeth at the thought. Though, it was quite beautiful-looking. The sky, that is. The stars twinkling and the moon in it?s crescent shape. It made Gavin smile and remember the good ole days of being a kid. But those days were passed now and he was on a new voyage. A large one. And he saw then, that there?s no turning back now.

Welp, here's chapter 4. Had it done a few days ago (like sunday) but I didn't wanna post it just yet. here we go anyways.

[B]chapter 4[/B]

Day two. It wasn?t sunny out that day. Gavin woke up to a storm. Not the kind that would capsize a ship, but the kind you?d find sprinkling in a meadow or something. With light gray clouds and imperceptible rain. Gavin looked out of the nest he was in. Nothing was seen for miles. No land whatsoever. He looked down at the deck only to see crew members hard at work as usual. He even managed to spot Bog, Rodan, and Yukon carrying barrels down to the kitchen. They were most likely filled with rum or some kind of alcohol.

Gavin felt the need to fill his tummy with some food. To do so, he had to make it down to the kitchen again. He grabbed hold of a rope hanging from the mast and slid down to the deck floor. A perfect landing. But he tripped once he started walking. Everyone laughed at him. He grumbled and got back up. ?Simple accident.? he told them, but they kept on laughing.

He made his way into the kitchen where people like Bog were already seated with some hot-piping meals. Gavin licked his lips and approached the buffet. So many good things. Pancakes, toast, eggs, bacon, and so many other satisfying things to eat, it?ll kill you to hear them all. Gavin loaded his plate up to the rims like he did the night before and looked around the room. He was searching for his friends Bog, Rodan, and Yukon. He soon spotted them and made his way over, but was stopped by Amber.

?There you are, Daskar. Have a good rest??

?Yes, thank you very much.? She could tell he was fibbing. No one could enjoy that kind of rest up in that crow?s nest, but a penguin.

?Good. I wish for you to sit in seat 2 this morning. We must discuss about the letter. I?ll meet you there.? She turned around and returned to the middle table. Gavin shook his head and followed. He rather not discuss about the letter. He didn?t even know much about it?s contents. But he had to anyways and might as well get it over with.

He sat down in the 2nd chair and looked over at Amber dabbing her face with a napkin. She shot a glance at him. ?Now then, you ready?? She asked it like they were about to begin a duel.

?Yeah. I guess.?

?Good. First of all, where is the letter??

?I have it in safe keepings.?

?May I see it??

?Montgomery said to keep it hidden.?

?I told you he can?t be trusted. It?s okay to give it to me. I?m the captain.?

?I suggest you listen to her.? Jesse said from across the table. Gavin turned to him and back at the captain.

?I?m sorry.?

Amber grunted. ?Fine. But I bet it?s nothing. It?s probably a trap. I never did like Montgomery.? She took a sip of her cordial, then placed it back on the cloth-covered table. She scooted back her chair to allow her more room to lean a bit. A crack of thunder quickly followed. The people in the room hushed. But after a moment of silence, the talking continued.

?That sounded close,? said a rich-looking man in seat 4.

?Yes. It did.? Amber agreed. She picked up her glass again and twirled it in her hand skillfully.

?Aren?t you worried?? Jesse asked hastily. Amber was about to speak, but another crack of thunder was heard, this time followed by a scream from one of the crew members. Immediately, people were up and onto the main deck in seconds. There was lots of commotion going on. Gavin wasn?t on main deck yet, but he could hear people saying stuff like ?Someone was hit by lightning? and ?He?s dead!?.

Finally Gavin got on deck. It was not really dark out. The clouds had gone from gray to black and lightning flashed every so often. It was true. A man was struck and is now dead. The rain quickened and began to sting. People ran for where they could be safe as Amber shouted out orders.

It was wild pandemonium. Gavin couldn?t see where to get to, the crowd?s were so huge. He finally met up with Bog and Yukon. Yukon was crying. It was the first time Gavin saw a grown man cry. ?What?s wrong, Yukon?? Gavin asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Yukon couldn?t talk because of the sobs. Bog had to but in. ?It turns out the man that was struck was Rodan.?

Gavin?s face went pale. ?No.?

?Yes.? Bog sniffed. ?He went back up on deck just after eating. What a terrible thing to happen.?

?I?ll say. I?m sorry, Bog. Yukon.?

Yukon was still crying, but you couldn?t tell because everyone?s faces were wet from the downpour. Bog grabbed hold of Gavin?s arm. ?C?mon! We know a good place to hide!? Gavin followed his two remaining friends to where they said was safe. It was hard to track them with the crowds all over and the rain stinging your eyes. Gavin lost sight of them quickly. He looked around, but there was no sign of them.

?Bog?? He looked to his right. ?Yukon?? he looked to his left. Another flash of light gleamed in the sky and Gavin was forced to jump. He slipped and fell, sliding across the deck and tripping many men on top of him. They protected him from the rain, but he still couldn?t breath. He pushed their bodies off and some got up themselves and continued their run for a safe spot.

Gavin looked back at Amber who came into plain view at that moment. She didn?t run. She was still shouting out orders. Getting people to safe spots. Helping others before she got herself safe. That was bravery and good leadership right there.

But another flash of light and a crack of thunder broke him out of his trance and he was off again as quick as he had stopped. He finally spotted Bog and Yukon way across the deck, but they were too far to yell to. He just waved his arms in hope they?d see him. But they had their backs turned. Still, Gavin kept waving his arms and Yukon spotted him in a moment?s notice. He waved back and he and Bog stayed where they were.

Gavin started to make his way to them. He pushed through the crowds and past all the people who were running for their lives to get out of the storm. Lightning struck the 3rd mast and it caught fire. It fell onto the deck and crushed a few crewmates. The deck went up in a rush and stopped Gavin from getting to his friends. They still waved at him, but hope was lost. The fire spread around the ship and up the steps to the steering wheel. It too burst into flames.

Gavin looked around to spot a place to get to Bog and Yukon when his eyes came across Amber again. How she was helping others. He decided he?d not abandon his post. It was stupid of him to go to the large crow nest of the mast, but it was his post. He may not even survive anyways. He made his way to the 2nd mast, but was pulled aside by Captain Amber.

?Don?t go up there. It?s to dangerous. Look!? She pointed up and lightning shot the crow nest. It caught on fire and it fell onto the deck close to Amber and Gavin as well. They were both trapped. The ship was up in flames. The crew members were locked where they were by the flames. All hope was lost. And within a crack of thunder and a flash of light, the ship known as Deesse was no more.