OtakuBoards

Just an odd suggestion.

Phantom

Rules?

Are they important?

If so, why neglect them? No I am not talking about general users, but the staff.

How often are members told (often by plain old members as well, not just staff) "You should read the rules" because they obviously are acting without reading them.

But, if the rules havent been properly updated in several months than what compells people to take them seriously?

The last time I read the rules, (some time nearly a year ago) [email][email protected][/email] was still a forum on the boards. Obviously they arent and havent been for a while, so why havent they been updated?

I only noticed because I seem to notice how often members are told to refer to the rules, and I just did to find out somthing misc. Anyway, I read the entire thing again and noticed how neglected they have become by the staff.

My suggestion.. Sit down and update the rules?

If you want, give me a list of reasons not to but, I am not asking for answers but merely offering a suggestion.

-MK

[color=red] I do believe the rules do need some updating, but not very much. Just because they have been neglected doesn't mean they still aren't valid. Validity of rules just doesn't disappear, or anything. I don't really know if that's what your mentality is for making this thread or not, but that is partially what I got from it.

But yes, they certainly could be updated. But I believe once James completes [i]My Otaku[/i], then the rules will be very extensively updated.

And the reason I tell newer members ect. to read the rules is because I can't really change the way someone acts--they have to take the initiative themselves. And showing them the way to the rules gives them a better route to follow in staying here instead of being banned.

I hope that helps ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE]I do believe the rules do need some updating[/quote]Same here, not very much but still this place is VERY high spoken for but with rules that make reference (probably valid) about forums that are non-existent really doesnt strike me as very professional. It takes five minutes to read them, and probably not much more to update them.
[quote]Just because they have been neglected doesn't mean they still aren't valid.[/quote]Mitch, I never said anything of the sort, all I was getting at is that if your going to ask people to become familiar with the rules, at least try to make them more accomodating and....accurate.
[quote]I don't really know if that's what your mentality is for making this thread or not, but that is partially what I got from it.[/quote]Im sorry Mitch, I really should just try to word what I am saying more clearly in the future. The mentality on which I based this thread on was that the rules seems to be in need of some REALLY minor touch-ups. Adding the little story about how I came across the need for updates (minor of course) was that I was frequently seeing people being directed to them. And once looked over, I think that given the amount of people being told to read the rules, at least they should be up to date. (I was never questioning their validity.
[quote]But yes, they certainly could be updated. But I believe once James completes [i]My Otaku[/i], then the rules will be very extensively updated.[/quote]Yeah, that would own!
[quote]I hope that helps ^_^[/QUOTE]Yes, lots. Thanky Mitch.

People probably take the rules seriously because most of them still apply fairly accurately. It's easy to refer a member violating the site's policies to the current rules for the most part. The common offenses, such as flaming, spamming, advertising and double posting are all explained pretty well. As long as someone doesn't refer a member to the rules' jobs section if they post a topic asking to be a moderator, things should hold up until an update is available.

For the most part, moderators explain the violations anyway and don't simply say "Go to the rules."

I'm not saying that you're wrong though. Some updating is in order. I'd like to see an explanation on "Favorites" threads, personally. But, I don't think that the rules we have aren't worth taking seriously because of a couple issues.

[quote]As long as someone doesn't refer a member to the rules who posts a topic asking to be a moderator, things should hold up until an update is available.[/quote]LOL! Thats the funniest thing..that is the reason I checked out the rules. Some guy made a thread in this forum asking to be a mod.. *laughs* Anyway, that was the first time that happened in a while though.