OtakuBoards

Links Under Pictars!

Guest cloricus

Guest cloricus
Hey...
I've asked for this several times. I think it's really needed.

Underlying links in the pictures, mainly the main banner, I've been here so long I know all the others... o_0

They are not hard to do, an example is [url]www.whirlpool.net.au[/url] - View with pictures off.

Why I'm asking is that at the moment I've got about 300meg that has to last until the end of the month. (10meg a day :( ) Some days I can pull 35meg from otaku alone, mainly in pictures, smiles, banners, sig. (Because some one doesn't have chaceing enabled.)
Another example when I'm at my mothers she has a limit of 70meg (up and dl) a month. I know others who have very restricting limits who visit these boards too.

So would it be possible to implement some thing like that to make it easier for people who don?t have picts turned on.

?
Thanks
Cloricus.

[Added]
This is an example of what whirlpool is using, (Code stolen from)

-
Or maybe not, you've already got some thing close to that. So why can't I see it in text?

[color=#808080]Most people have pics turned on. And our site is picture-based in terms of navigation. So, at the moment at least, we don't plan to offer any alternatives (such as browsing additions for the blind and such). Right now we have more than enough on our collective plates and I feel that adding slightly less necessary features would not be feasable at this point.

Having said that, images should not be too much of an issue. If you have this site cookied and such, all the site's images (buttons/banner etc) should cache and be stored on your computer. Therefore, they won't load over and over again when you visit. Then, you can turn signatures off in your profile so that you don't have to see all of those other images.

If you turn the sig feature off, you should find that the boards load a lot more quickly and take up less memory.[/color]

Guest cloricus
Hmm...

Though adding underlying links in to the main banner would take about 5 to 10 mins.

As for the loading time angle I'll take note of that when I'm at my mothers. 33.6 is way to slow. :(

Guest cloricus
Yeah I'm not sure what?s wrong with the cache, all the settings are right?

No I don't mean text links. I am talking about underlying links. Basically if you can't see the pict you can see the link, if you can see the pict you wont see the link.

Any way...

Sounds to me that he's asking why you can't view the banner as text links... Basically meaning that if someone turned off the images, you'd see the text instead (which otherwise would be covered, in simple terms). It has nothing to do with adding seperate text links, so people with images on wouldn't even see them.

Anyway, that's the impression I'm getting. I'm personally finding all these posts somewhat confusing as I'm not feeling very well haha.

Guest cloricus
*Points to example provided.*

And I [i]am[/i] blind... _Wants support!_

Any way look at that example and it should be plain to see the way to do what I wanted. Adding it only needs one extra value added to the main links contained in the banner.

Not to hard, but oh well? *Points to close topic button?*

I'll look into it tomorrow and I'll talk to James about doing it when I get the chance to. It isn't a big deal, it will just take time (if I'm even allowed to heh).

Edit - If we're looking at the same thing... They aren't even using an image map. It's a bunch of images put together that each link somewhere, which would do that anyway and will show the alt tags (that's the underlying text you are seeing as you know). There are alt tags on our image map, and I'm not sure the reason for them not showing up in a browser. If I can change that I will, but I've never really had to... so I'm not sure of the best way to go about it if it's possible. Looking at big sites that use image maps, they don't seem to have underlying links either.

Anyway, in the meantime... If you turn off images, you can still see the arrow turn to a hand over the links on the banner. If you hold it there long enough, a little tool tip should pop up and tell you where it goes (since the alt tags are there).