OtakuBoards

Fencing! (no not the one in your backyard)

Rhys Mayiessen

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Deedlit [/i]
[B][color=009966]lol Yes, I took fencing for a while. No one at my house wants to talk about it though because that gets me started on about how great fencing is, and how I loved it, and how I want to go back. :D:p:whoops: But don't worry. I don't even have my sword yet (sadly)....[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
that makes me feel a little safer. a little...
i still have to watch for your brother's "karate stick" and Anna beating me.

how long were you fencing?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]But could someone tell me about what kind of injuries you can get doing that?[/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=blue][I]As already said, the most common injuries you'd get would be bruises and scratches, and occasionally drawing blood from your opponent. [flashback]Once though, it was a lot of blood.[/flashback]
I heard once that at a state tournament, (roughly state level), two people were having a match using electric foils, and both fencers had complete protective gear, (mask, head to toe uniform/jacket, gloves, etc), so you would think that no one would get hurt, right? Wrong. One of them ended up in hospital for 10 weeks. What happened was that one of the fencers had a small hole in the sleeve of his jacket. The other fencer went full force at him and drove his foil into him, the foil managed to get through the hole, slide up his arm, bounced off his shoulder blade and plastron, pierced the side of his chest, and landed about 2cm next to his heart. Any further, and he would have been killed.

But don't worry, that's only happend once out of....since the sport fencing began. It happened out of extreme bad luck, carelessness, and unco-ordination.[/COLOR][/I]

Yeah, those injuries are very rare. The worst injuries come from electric foils, as they have a metal point as opposed to a rubber one. Although someone did get a foil through the back of their head once in England a few years ago, because he turned round when the other fencerlunged at him. That wasn't nice.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by genkai [/i]
[B]Yeah, I fence! My instructor is an olympian(Pixi Roane)! I love it. I suck at epee, but I rock at saber... I don't think I'm as good as Solo Tremaine....hmm... *shrugs* [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I'm not that good ^_^; I've just bene doing it for a long time. I've never done Epee or Sabre, but I want to.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]So, are we talking Paintball like pain, or just getting a little too wild and running into something pain?
[/B][/QUOTE]

More or less Paintball pain. Although fencers can collide at times. I was at this fencing course last year and two younger fencers leapt at each other (flesched or whatever), and their helmets slammed into each other. They had mild concussion for a bit, but then rocovered. The next morning one of them had to be taken to hospital because he couldn't move from the neck down. He was alright, though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rhys Mayiessen [/i]
[B][color=skyblue]I even got hurt in Badmition because someone (won't name names) hit me over the head with a badmition racket and she almost did it again today so I'm not really worried about getting hurt^^;[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Hehe, I've done that to someone. I've also been hit by a squash ball >_<