OtakuBoards

Fencing! (no not the one in your backyard)

Rhys Mayiessen

Yes. Very much so ^_^

I started fencing about seven years ago, and I really enjoy it. It's a great sport to get into- keeps you fit and, of course, there are lots of swords. Do you know which weapon you wanted to train with? The three in fencing (in decreasing wimpiness order) are Foil, Epee and Sabre. I've only done foil myself, but I've liked the look of the other two.

The swords (caution: big pictures):
[img]http://members.aol.com/jandjchen3/fcfl02.jpg[/img]
This is a foil. In foil fencing, the target is the body excluding the arms, legs and head.

[img]http://members.aol.com/jandjchen/_borders/epee.jpg[/img]
An Epee. In Epee, the sword is longer and thicker than the foil, and the guard is a lot bigger- more like a dome that covers your hand. The target is the entire body, including arms, hands, feet, heads etc so it's probably a more 'realistic' type of fencing, in that sense. In Epee and foil you're mostly trying to stab the opponent as if you would if you were using a real rapier. It'd be ncie to be able to do some Jedi-like moves, but you're not allowed to -__-

[img]http://members.aol.com/jandjchen/_borders/FSaber.jpg[/img]
Um Sabre/Saber. It has a large guard which covers your whole hand, and the style is very different to those used in the other two. It's more slashy and less pointy- you'd be trying to cut your opponent. The target in this is the entire body from the waist up, and not anything underneath that.

Fencing's a great way to get into swordfighting. It's good to make sure you have all the protective gear you need, though, as you can expect to collect a few bruises.

I want to do fencing and probably will soon.

If I can get the number of the place were their classes take place. I never knew that there was three different courses or choices. I'll have to decide on that soon. I like the sound of the last two though. Especially the last one, lol.

[color=skyblue]Hmmm...I wonder who gave you that idea Darkmoon? Anyways if you want to know I have looked into it and there are a few places where we could fence. One is York University and another is somewhere in Scarbrough. I would probably like the York one.

I like the sounds of Foil or Epee. Epee sounds more broadswordish. Hehe broadswords are so cool^^[/color]

[color=009966]I [b]LOVE[/b] fencing!! ^^ I've loved it ever since my first class! I've tried using a foil, an epee, and a saber, and I think I prefer a saber over the others. It just feels more natural in my hand.

Anyway, I haven't gone in a few months....parents won't let me....*grumbles* But hopefully I can go back soon. ^_^[/color]

[color=ff00cc] [size=1]My mom takes Kendo, and her mother used to teach at the same school before. She's really good at it. ^^ I think we have one of her old swords in Seoul, along with my Sai.

I don't take kendo anymore, and I only fenced for a few weeks. ^_^;; I'm actually too afraid too get whacked in the face. >>;;[/color] [/size]

"Anyway, I haven't gone in a few months....parents won't let me....*grumbles* But hopefully I can go back soon. ^_^"-Deedlit

hmm... i had no idea. ive never heard you, your sisters, CJ, or your parents mention it.
*decides to be wary when at their house*

ive always been interested in the sport, but have never had the opportunity to try it.

[COLOR=blue][I]Ah yes, fencing, a great competetive sport it is I think. I do fencing every week on Wednesdays, and sometimes a bit of practice at home with my brother. As our club is fairly new, we are only using foils with pistol, french and orthapedic grips on them, but I think we might be getting some sabres soon since everyones really keen on it. I've been fencing for about, let's see.....since late 2001. Our club's just gotten a whole lot of new equipment which we're all happy about.

One thing that still annoys me is that once I went to a novice tournament, which is ONLY for people of all ages who have fenced for 18 MONTHS or less. No more. But for some strange reason, this one guy who had been fencing for FIVE YEARS was allowed to enter, and he won the tournament. Everyone thought that was unfair, because it didn't give anyone a hope of winning.

I really enjoy fencing. There's never a dull moment when you're fencing because you're always completely focused and ready for anything. Plus it's really good excersise.[/COLOR][/I]

Guest cloricus
Well I've been trying to get in to fencing since late last year. With Enigma's group, though for _some_ reason he won?t give me times/places... :(

Looks like it'd be really fun.
*Pokes enigma, heres a deal. You give me the details and that and I WONT post that piccy that I got of you today?*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rhys Mayiessen [/i]
[B][color=skyblue]I like the sounds of Foil or Epee. Epee sounds more broadswordish. Hehe broadswords are so cool^^[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

They are cool, but they're not really like broadswords. Sabring is more akin to broadswording than Epee, which is more like a meatier version of foil.

I do reenactment too (with broadswords) and the difference in style is amazing. With epee you're trying to pirece them, so the only part of the blade that can hit the target and still be a valid hit is the point. With broadswording (they should [i]so[/i] make that a sport), in reenactment broadswording at any rate, you can hit with any part including the hilt, which is always fun. That'd be something to move onto after getting into fencing for a bit. ANything with swords is good fun.

I've only been in two competitions myself. They're usually at awkward times for me, and I don't tend to do it competetively anyway, but I earned one silver medal so far, and I'm pleased with it. The person beat me by one point in the last match :grumble:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by treton_noir [/i]
[B]hmm... i had no idea. ive never heard you, your sisters, CJ, or your parents mention it.
*decides to be wary when at their house*
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=009966]lol Yes, I took fencing for a while. No one at my house wants to talk about it though because that gets me started on about how great fencing is, and how I loved it, and how I want to go back. :D:p:whoops: But don't worry. I don't even have my sword yet (sadly)....[/color]

I still want to learn fencing someday, if for no other reason than to live out my fantasy dreams. Heh. Me like swords. ^^;

Seriously, though, I really would like to learn. But could someone tell me about what kind of injuries you can get doing that?

Puck: WIMP!
Me: Oh shut up you. :cross:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by GinnyLyn [/i]
[B]But could someone tell me about what kind of injuries you can get doing that?
[/B][/QUOTE]

Lots of injuries ^_^;

Apart from the obvious of getting stabbed in various places *is glad he wears a cricket box* you can fall over and hurt yourself. I think the worst injury that someone at our club had was that he broke his wrists running into a wall. It wasn't during a fight though, it was during the warm-up.

The protective equipment you have should be enough to protect you from too much- the helmet's the main thing to wear, and girls also get this plastic thing to wear on their chests. I forget the technical term for it. I have one too actually, but obviously it's made for a bloke. It's saved me from strong hits a few times.

Really, it's just bruises from where the point of the sword hits you hard. It hurts most if you get hit on bony areas suh as the ribcage, shin or collar-bone (dang flick-hits >_<), but that doesn't happen too often. Grazes are rare, usually happens if the point gets caught up in your clothing or scrapes up/down a less protected area. Hands/fingers can get hit quite smartly, too. I was judging and still got hit- some fencers can go a bit wild.

So nothing too major. Just don't turn around while fencing someone. The back of the helmet has no protection. Nasty.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rhys Mayiessen [/i]
[B][color=skyblue]Hehe you can get hurt in anything though. I even got hurt in Badmition because someone (won't name names) hit me over the head with a badmition racket and she almost did it again today so I'm not really worried about getting hurt^^;[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]
*cough*
[size=1]Will you let that go? It was just a slight... ah... error...
your fault mainly. You shouldn't have tried to get the birdy, it was on my side of the court :p[/size]

I never knew you could get so meny injuries in fencing... Those things arn't sharp, are they? They look sharp, but from what your saying they can barely ever cut someone.

Eh, I'm goin' for it anyway's. I need excitment :D

[color=skyblue]Hehe I knew that you would see that and comment. Anyways you think the birdy is on your side when its even on the other side of the court:rolleyes:

I don't know how soon we can fence though Darkmoon. I've looked into it and it seems that it will start up again in the fall...cause we've already missed the one that went from January to March.[/color]