Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[color=skyblue]I was wondering if anyone here reads the novels Discworld by Terry Prachett. They're really different from some of the other fantasy novels because it doesn't have that much seriousness in it. Its mostly a comical novel...

If you haven't read any of these books and enjoy a good laugh you should...they're really funny!!![/color]
Posted
[color=skyblue]Wow I'm really surprised that no one has read these books. They're not very popular but they are good books. They're a very different kind of fantasy. The world is flat like it says discworld...and is held up by four elephants on a giant turtles back....[/color]
Posted
[color=darkred][size=1]Read it. Well, them. Some of them. Heh.I'm currently reading 'The Last Continent'.

I don't classify them as Fantasy novels as such. I mean, I know that they're in an AU, and there are creatures that aren't human, but I still don't think of them as Fantasy.[/color][/size]
Posted
[font=gothic][color=crimson]Terry Prachet is not fantasy as a genre, no. As a style, setting, field etc, yes, but not the genre. It's more science fiction humour kind of thing.

Told you Liam. Now go read some real fantasy.[/font][/color]
Posted
[color=darkred]Heh, we're not trying to insult you or anything. I just said that I didn't think that it was Fantasy, because in my mind it isn't...

They are good books. Great books, in fact. There's just this little thing that stops me from readin more than one at a time. I don't know what yet, though.[/color]
Posted
Sorry, Harlequeen ( :p ), but [i]I[/i] consider them fantasy. Sci-fi stands for SCIENCE-fiction, and I'll give you a Nobel-award if you find any science in any book of the Discworld series. (Okay, "Strata" is full of it, but it's more like pre-Discworld, not the actual thing).

When I first started to read the books, I thought they were just miscellaneous novels from miscellaneous characters, but now I see that the series forms of different trilogies (four of them are published in Finnish):
*Witches-trilogy (Witches Abroad, Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters)
*Guards-trilogy (Men-At-Arms, Guards!Guards!, Feet Of Clay)
*Rincewind-trilogy (Color Of Magic, Light Fantastic, Sourcery)
*Reaper-trilogy (Hogfather, Mort, Reaper(?))

Also Pyramids has been published, but I haven't read it so I don't know in which category it falls to.

Well, here's my two-cents!
Posted
[color=darkred]But what about [i]The Last Continent[/i], [i]Lords And Ladies[/i], and all the other novels? There are over 29 [Or thereabouts] Discworld books published. I myself don't think that it's in any very set type of series.[/color]
Posted
Sorry, but it takes pretty long for new fantasynovels to reach Finland , not to mention the translation process. It's far from easy to translate English jokes so that Finnish people could understand the fun in them - especially if the joke is connected to certain words. I just listed the ones I've read from the series.
Posted
[font=gothic][color=crimson]Just as a note, Science Fiction is also applied to a lot of books that should be considered fantasy. It's not neccessarily meaning something sciencey...

Oh and Liam, you have your triumph. My aunt Karen recommended I start reading Terry Pratchet, so I think I will.[/font][/color]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...