OtakuBoards

to make pages load faster and posts smaller...

Guest Matt

[color=red][b]Make a rule saying that you must not post your sig every time you post. If there is a rule like this, pages will load faster, and people won't have to scroll forever thru long sigs multiple times on a page. like make a rule saying "You may only post w/ your sig once every page" or however you want to do it. On other forums I go to they have this rule and it really helps.[/b][/color]

*looks at his sig* Indeed.

Mmm....I can understand about the images that litter each page. And several times, I find that pages are made up more of sigs than actual posts.

I know awhile back, people were only allowed eight lines in their sig. What happened to that?
I know the banner bit was enforced to help this problem somewhat.

But it's a slightly delicate issue. Don't want to stifle anyone's right to speak, er, write, er, whatever. :bluesweat If that makes sense.

Ah well, not my decision. :D I try to keep mine short as a common courtesy to everyone, anyway.

We've all been talking about this sort of stuff in the thread I posted in here a few lines down. No one suggested this though, and it seems like a decent enough idea.

At the same time, I think a lot of people just wouldn't bother doing it. In terms of loading, once the image is loaded into your cache, it stays there. It's not any extra loading, no matter how many times they post in that thread. Text in sigs takes up so little actual memory that it doesn't even really matter. So, for example, only using your sig in your first post on the thread, and never again, won't really lessen anymore loading for anyone... It would make the thread shorter though.

And so, the only issue I think there is in general is the argument on [i]length[/i], and I think addressing that (like I was in my thread) is the best route to start with.

[COLOR=003399]I just don't think posting like this makes a difference...

I think we should just inforce a smaller-sig rule.... i try to keep mine to a minimum... [/COLOR]

surely pages won't actually load any faster.. cos the bulk of what slows pages loading is the images.. and once the image is loaded, it can be shown in many places on the same page without any extra loading.

however, it would mean the bulk of the thread's space wouldn't be filled by sigs, so on the other hand I think it sounds alright.. (it just wouldn't alter the loading times that much)

After reading Semjaza's post (I have a habit of reading other posts after posting my reply) I realise he said pretty much the same thing..