OtakuBoards

X2: XMen United

Ryan

[color=#808080]Well, I saw it just now. X2 came out in Australia last Wednesday, but I didn't have time to see it during the week.

I really felt that X2 was [i]far[/i] better than the original. The original was a bit lacking. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very "in-depth", had a pretty poor script (Storm's lines were some of the worst) and the effects were generally only average. I'm probably being a bit harsh; yes, it was a good movie. But it wasn't totally brilliant or anything.

X2 is far far better. Does this movie have a new director or something? It sure seems like it. The camera shots are far more stylish this time around and the movie generally has a much darker, more sinister tone. That works to the credit of the movie, really.

The story is significantly better and the whole situation is more serious and intense. The only negative is really that the movie skips back and forth between situations so often that it doesn't really have time to establish anything significant. But having said that, I didn't find it to be as much of a problem as others seem to.

Effects were much more accomplished in X2. [i]Much[/i] more accomplished than the first movie. Fighting scenes were also generally far superior. And the movie contained more drama and "real" tangible story elements. It was almost a totally different movie, I felt. This is what the first should have been (and I only give the first movie a pass because it was obviously establishing characters - and the concept - for those who aren't familiar with X-Men).

But yeah, very good. Better than I had expected. I'd give it four stars. ~_^

The Matrix: Reloaded will probably top it though.[/color]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw X2 last night, and it?s definitely a whole lot better than the original. ;)

I was happy to see the appearances of some of the other mutants, it really made the movie stand out more by showing the diversity of mutants, and the movie was filled with awesome fighting sequences, the intro scene for example with Nightcrawler was a blast to watch.

Overall this movie had everything I wanted to see in the original, I give it 2 thumbs up!

I thought this movie was so much better than the first. I love it, and I want it to carry my child. :p

One thing that I didn't understand is how Jean [spoiler]said she was having problems with her powers at the beginning of the movie, then proceeded to lift Nightcrawler into the air, block a guided missle, block Cyclops' beam, control their jet from the outside, and block a flash flood from ramming into her for a good 5 minutes.

Of course, the last few were probably done because Jean's turning into my favorite X-person ever... Phoenix!! I was so happy when I saw Jean burst into flames as she was holding back that flood. I can't wait for X3, just so they can center the story around Phoenix.

Storm finally came in useful. Joy.

Kurt's opening scene in the White House was kool. And it was funny how he kept trying to tell everybody that his nickname was Nightcrawler, but they kept cutting him off.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was the guy controlling Xavier's mind supposed to be Mastermind? It's confusing because Mastermind's name is Jason Wyndgard(sp?), but the guy in the movie was Jason Stryker (Stryker's son).

Oh, and that scene were Logan first came back to the mansion... you could cut the sexual tension with an adamtantium claw. Rogue digs Logan, Bobby digs Rogue, Logan digs Jean, Scott digs Jean, Jean flirts with Logan, Jean loves Scott, To Serve Man is a cookbook. It's enough to make your mutated X-hormones explode. :excited: [/spoiler]

[color=#808080]Hehe, I think you answered your own question regadring Jean.

[spoiler]Yes, she did have problems at the start. And when she blocked the missile, she only blocked one -- the other hit the rear of the jet's control room (or whatever it's called). I guess that for the sake of the movie, they had to cut her "development" time down quite a bit. Still, it came out pretty well I think.[/color][/spoiler]

Guest V-Rob
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Outlaw [/i]
[B]His dad is Sabertooth. [/B][/QUOTE]

Nightcrawler's father is [I]thought[/I] to be a German Baron. His mother is Mystique.

Mystique and Sabretooth do have a child, though, who is a normal human.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by super goku [/i]
[B]Wow this movie was great. It was way better then the first one. There were many great action scenes and yes there was two cameos [spoiler] Hank McCoy was seen on news show talking. (if anyone doesnt know he his beast) and franky LeBeau AKA Gambit was seen on one of the fiels Mystique was looking through[/spoiler] [/B][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]Actually, his name is Remy LeBeau. You'll also notice Snowbird from Alpha Flight, Mastermind (Stryker's son), Jubilee, and Siryn.[/spoiler]

I'm the new X-Men Fandom Representative, traveled to this alien world of anime and video games to teach and inform. Feel free to direct any questions to me, and I'll gladly field them. ;)

[color=#808080]Yep, Rob is a known expert on X-Men. He's even interviewed some of the major players who are involved with the comics!

So, I encouraged him to join our little community. Welcome, V-R. ~_^

I'm also wondering if there is some kind of plan to produce a certain number of X-Men movies. Each one (so far) seems to end with a very open ending. Or are they just going to keep making them forever and ever? (like Bond, I guess)

After seeing X2, I can't wait for X3. ^_^;[/color]

Does the hypocrisy in the Marvel universe bother anyone else? Cyclops saves a little old lady from getting run over by a car, and everybody runs away screaming "Help! Mutant!" Mr. Fantastic gets a little girl's cat down from a tree and everybody says "Yay! Hero!"

That's always bothered me. Why do super-humans get better treatment than mutants? I know it's a little off-topic from the movie, but it's still sort of X-related.

Guest V-Rob
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#808080]Yep, Rob is a known expert on X-Men. He's even interviewed some of the major players who are involved with the comics!

So, I encouraged him to join our little community. Welcome, V-R. ~_^
[/quote]

Thanks, James!

[quote]
I'm also wondering if there is some kind of plan to produce a certain number of X-Men movies. Each one (so far) seems to end with a very open ending. Or are they just going to keep making them forever and ever? (like Bond, I guess)
[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Some of the actors have signed on for future films, like Romijn and McKellen. I imagine Faamke Jansen (Jean) will stick around for the next film. Halle Berry has said she doesn't plan to return unless her role is "beefed up".

[color=indigo]I am off to see the movie in about an hour, so I am glad so many of you said it was good...

I do have a question, for any X-heads out there, that pretains to the X-Men but not tho the movie...when and how did the X-Man comic end (by x-Man I mean the comic revolving around Nathan Grey, X-Man). The last I saw, he had teamed up with Spidey a few times, and his power had consumed him so much that he recreated Madalyne Prior...I know that marvel execs planned on ending the series but I never found out how they ended it.[/color]

[color=#808080]I actually wonder what the reason for Pheonix is in the movie. I mean, I wonder if it'll be the same scenario as the cartoons (I don't know about the comic at all; I only ever watched the cartoons).

Still, I think it's great that you don't need to have read the comics or seen the cartoon to actually watch and understand the movie. It's a good balance I think.[/color]

Phoenix, if I remember correctly (and I probably don't, heh), is an interstellar being which (in the series anyway) possessed Jean's body when she was saving a space shuttle which some of the X-Men were in from breaking up in the Earth's orbit. I'm not too sure of her origins, though.

I saw X2 yesterday, and I thought it was fantastic. They've not had a better cast, I think. Hugh Jackman is excellent as Wolverine, and I think he adds more humanity to Logan than in the TV series (I've never read the comics unfortunately). Patrick Stewart is perfect as Xavier, because he has a great fatherly quality to him which was displayed in the original character. And Ian McKellen was great again as Magneto, for all his cool majesticness.

I think the ideas in X2 were a lot better than those in X-Men- the plot has certainly been well-written. Although I was disappointed that Gambit and Beast weren't on for more than a few seconds. They were my two favourite characters. Here's hoping for X3, then. And the DVD release of X2, when we can see some deleted scenes ^_^

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]I saw X2 earlier today 0_0

The special effects are amazing...Lady Deathstrike's claws, Nightcrawlers teleports (complete with a BAMF!) and so much more, including Lady Deathstrike's gruesome end, were wonderful. And the oh-so-symbolic...uh...symbol...at the end was a perfect touch to leave me begging for X3 (which better come really dang quick!).

It was nice to see Logan evolve too. I know it's the charachter, but the "I don't care about anything I'm leaving" attitude of the first one was kinda stale. It was also nice to see his and Cyclops' banter continue, and then reveal the softer side at the end.

Jean dealing with her evolving powers (a result of the Liberty Island mission in X-Men) was a nice touch for the charachter, and her decisions in the end really made it an emotional ending.

Professor X kidnapped, however, is way overdone to the common readers of the comics...good thing the movie dealt with it by adding twists, surprises, and other goodies.

Adn then there's Nightcrawler, who surprised me. The charachter remained completely intact (well, for the most part). He was quirky, polite, enigmatic, and constantly begging God for forgiveness...just the way we like the fuzzy elf. If X3 takes advantage of the friendship between Nightcrawler and Logan in the comics, it could very interesting.

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

I saw the movie this afternoon, and I must say, it was much, MUCH better than the first (to me anyway). I loved how they had my two fav mutants in the movie, Nightcrawler and Collosus, even if Collosus had only a few lines. I especially liked how they made NC disappear and reappear, with the added noises.

My bro had gotten two comic books from a local comic shop and they were X2 comics, involving Wolverine and Nightcrawler, and the reason why I mention this is because it had the introduction of Nightcrawler (how he was at the circus and did this and that and ended up at the facility with Stryker and how stryker had Kurt do the president thing, and alot of other info that made me able to see why Kurt was doing the things he did in the movie), and what happened after Logan left the school and before the X2 movie. All that probably had nothin intresting to any one here, but if you were to read those comics and then watch the movie, your understanding of what happened at the beginning would have been much better.

Other awsome parts in the movie were the times when you got the hint of [spoiler]Pheonix in Jean with her powers messing with her. Then at the end (didn't know if I should put the tag there or not) when you see the Pheonix under the water, where Jean supposidly(sp?) died.[/spoiler]

I also liked Mystique's part in this one than in the first, especially the little finger gesture when she slid in the door. I would've like to see more of the rest of the Brotherhood in the movie, but then I might have gotten lost trying to figure out what was going on with all the people. I would've, also, liked to have seen Angel (Archangel to some) in this movie. A great addition to a great movie was the introduction to Pyro and the more involved part of Iceman. What else can I say *thinks*.... ok, what about when [spoiler]Mystique diguised herself as Lady Deathstrike and went into the building and printed out the Stryker made Cerebro (i think i spelled it right), and when she was looking through some names I saw a name that suprised me. This is a bit off topic but the name was Jamie Madrox. Nothing big and most ppl here dunno who he is and if you don't just ignore this part of the post.[/spoiler] Then there was the part on the news when Dr. Hank McCoy (Beast) was talking that was great.

Well that's all I can think of about the movie right now. Wow, I do believe that this is the longest, hand typed, post I've made on OB in the time I've been here.

[color=green]I added a couple more spoiler tags.
--Endymion[/color]

[size=1][I][color=teal]Yeah id heard only a handful of the original ppl from the first Xmen film had signed on for X3 while all the new chracters from X2 have already signed up(So nightcrawlers def gonna be in X3...YEAH :D )

I hope the rest sign up too for X3...I wanna see it so bad and it isnt even in preproduction :rolleyes:

Id really like to see how they will handle the whole [spoiler]phoenix force thing...Since she was showing off some of its abilities in the movie that means she already has it in her so that means no space shuttle cosmic force kinda origin[/spoiler]...And was it Magneto's machine that brought out these latent powers...:therock: [/color][/I][/size]

I really need to find a freeze frame of that screen that mystique was looking at on the computer...Alotta familiar names there i didnt pick up on :cool:

[spoiler]And that would be cool if jamie was listed on there...Id love to see multiple man...he isnt that well known but hes got a cool power(his fight scenes would kinda look like that 100 Agent smiths scene in Matrix 2) :demon: [/spoiler]

[color=green]I added another quick spoiler tag.
-Endymion[/color]

Honestly, people. Stop mentioning the whole thing about [spoiler]Jean turning into Phoenix at the end of the movie.[/spoiler] It's not like everybody who hasn't seen the movie knows it. It's not even in the trailer. If I hadn't seen the movie yet, I'd have slapped you all just for giving it away. :p

Seriously, let's not talking about the [spoiler]Phoenix[/spoiler] thing unless we're using spoiler tags.

Guest V-Rob
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I am off to see the movie in about an hour, so I am glad so many of you said it was good...

I do have a question, for any X-heads out there, that pretains to the X-Men but not tho the movie...when and how did the X-Man comic end (by x-Man I mean the comic revolving around Nathan Grey, X-Man). The last I saw, he had teamed up with Spidey a few times, and his power had consumed him so much that he recreated Madalyne Prior...I know that marvel execs planned on ending the series but I never found out how they ended it.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Here's the low down. Nate turned into a protector of the Earth. A shaman is what they called him. He sacraficed himself to keep the entire human race from being wiped out.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
Phoenix, if I remember correctly (and I probably don't, heh), is an interstellar being which (in the series anyway) possessed Jean's body when she was saving a space shuttle which some of the X-Men were in from breaking up in the Earth's orbit. I'm not too sure of her origins, though.[/quote]

Jean was piloting a shuttle that the X-Men were on from a mission in space. As they entered earth's atmosphere, a huge radiation storm flared up. Jean used her TK to shield the hull of the shuttle, saving her teammates, but being burned to death herself. The Phoenix force found her at that moment, and placed her body in stasis, under the ocean, while it healed. The Phoenix then took Jean's place in the X-Men. When the Hellfire Club messed with Phoenix's mind, all hell broke loose and she went Dark Phoenix. She ate a planet in deep space, killing it's entire population. The Phoenix then dove into a star and commited suicide.

Jean now possesses the Phoenix force, and it's believed that the Phoenix was never an intergalactic entity... merely the full potential that Jean wields.

P.S. If you've gotten to page five of this thread and haven't seen the movie and don't expect to be spoiled... Then I guess you must not be too smart. :) Keep up the good work though, moderators :)

X2 is a great movie, I have seen it and I am happy with it.

Other people on the list of names. I saw Remmy Lebeu. And for all you people who dont know, that is Gambit.

I personally like what they did with Storm in this movie. She was angry deep down inside and Nightcrawler's personality was a nice contrast to hers.

I also want to see the friendship of Pyro and Iceman be tested more in X3. If you have seen X2 then you can probably figure out what I am talking about.

:( I was filling up the end, hell my boyfriend was filling up, and he knows how it ends. But if everything goes the way he says, then I really will cry. (I'm cyclops fangirl, heh :P) And Nightrawler was cool, "But in the Munich circus..." fun. Can I ask someone, how much of the movie is true to the original, (is Nightcrawler that religious... is he even in the original) other stuff like that. :D

I just watched an X-Men cartoon...It was the one where Mystique was captured by that...Keen, was it? Then they found out Mystique was Keen's and NC's mother. (Hint: When Rogue and NC bust in, she says: "Rogue! They only wanted your brother!")

And yes, he is really that religious. He tells Mystique and his bro he will pray for them many times.

Well, off to see the movie!

The pairings in that movie were interesting, especially [spoiler]Kurt and Storm.[/spoiler] I never expected those two to have something going on, but it became apparent when [spoiler]they saved the professor. Storm said she had faith in him when he didn't know if he could teleport into the fake cerebro room. Then when Storm froze the room, he had the choice to leave at any time, but he told her he wasn't going anywhere. If Halle Berry decides sign on for the next film,[/spoiler] I can't wait to see where their relationship goes.

I saw it and all I have to say is....wow.

Especially when Magneto [spoiler]took the iron from that guys body.[/spoiler] That was cool

Then theres Bobby....Bobby and Storm....ah....

I didn't see Gambit or Beast there at all, but I do think that metal guy will play a role in X3

As I was watching it, I remembered that Quicksilver appeared in the first movie.

[color=green]I added a spoiler tag. Try not to give anything away.
-Endymion[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Endymion [/i]
[B]The pairings in that movie were interesting, especially [spoiler]Kurt and Storm.[/spoiler] I never expected those two to have something going on, but it became apparent when [spoiler]they saved the professor. Storm said she had faith in him when he didn't know if he could teleport into the fake cerebro room. Then when Storm froze the room, he had the choice to leave at any time, but he told her he wasn't going anywhere. If Halle Berry decides sign on for the next film,[/spoiler] I can't wait to see where their relationship goes. [/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Actually, if I remember correctly [spoiler]Nightcrawler once fell in love with Storm, and proposed to her. I don't remember if she was interested in him though, blue fur is a pretty big turnoff.

I'm worried if Halle Berry will agree to appear in a third X movie or not. Storm has traditionally been a minor character, even though she is one of the most powerful mutants on Earth. I wonder if Halle's ego may have grown too large for the role after winning that Oscar. Storm's chemistry with Nightcrawler was interesting, and I hope that they develop it more in the future. I would also like to see the Rogue/Mystique/Nightcrawler relationship revealed in the next movie.[/spoiler]

-Shy[/size]