OtakuBoards

Some more "skins"

Epitome

Hey, I was looking through my User Profile, and Braidless Baka pointed out to me that you can change the skin of the boards on your comp. Right now there is "Industrial" "Liquid" and "Version 6". Can anyone make some more, whoever makes them.

There are more in the works last I heard. I don't know what has become of them to be honest... James would, as he's the one that generally designs them.

I think a lot of people simply don't realize how much work is involved. There are many, many seperate images involved in a skin. You have to come up with a design, make everything look clear and readable and then actually make it. You have to worry about sizes and what will fit or show up properly, and then you have to have someone set it up so it will even work.

So really, these things take a lot of time... and I've found that people in charge here simply have more pressing matters to take care of at the present time. Not that I wouldn't like more skins heh - this is just an explanation as to why there isn't.

[color=#335062]Semjaza illustrated things pretty well.

The only thing I would add is that I do not plan to produce any more skins until Version 7 rolls around. I've been told by one of our technical staff (who also provides tech support to theOtaku.com) that some of our current skins might be incompatible in certain areas. So, I don't want to design v6-based skins, only to find that I have to modify them for v7.

But with that said, I will also tell you something else. When the time for v7 gets closer, I'll be developing an all-new default v7 skin (which should be something very different) and I'll be completing The Wind Waker skin (and I know some of you are still wanting that one). So hopefully, v7 will launch with two extra skins.

But yes, one of the biggest issues is making sure that everything can be put together properly. Right now, none of my technical staff are here full-time; far from it. And that's okay; they have their own commitments, like school and work. But as always, if you know anyone who is a vB-whiz...send them my way. I can get work done a hundred fold quicker with a good technical support staffer.[/color]

[size=1] I'd be happy, when v7 rolls around, to make some skins. Although my VB knowledge is limited, perhaps I could help with the graphical sides of things?

It'd be nice to give back to the community, plus I could find some VB code tutorials and learn it.... [/size]

[color=#335062]Thanks for the offer, Shinji, but right now I'm only looking for people who are [i]very[/i] experienced when it comes to Virtual Bulletin technology.

I am not in a position where I can train anybody (due to limited time), nor am I in a position where I can afford to wait for someone to learn from tutorials. So, as unfortunate as it is, that's really the only way that we can develop a complete v7.[/color]