OtakuBoards

The Essence Of Punk

SSJ5 Vegeta

Here is my great speech on punkism:

Punk is not only a method of thought it's a way of life. Seea punk doesn't give a **** what anybody things. If you were to accuse a true punk of being a prep they would not go into a long drawn out conversation denying they were a prep they would simply say: "**** you" Or something to that effect cuz' we don't give a ****. See we don't give a **** if you call us punk. Whatever floats your boat. We don't have to be categorized by a name to be ?cool?. Punk is not the color of your hair, the color of your skin. Our friends know who they are and they know who we are that's all that really matters, not facist words such as punk, prep, jock, geek. That's what true punk is jus' don't give a ****.

Most people nowadays are hypocritical posers. Dressing in skateboard apparel even though they don?t skateboard and get piercings all because they think it makes them look more of a punk so that they may be accepted along with the rest of their ?punk? friends. See a true punk does not give a **** what other people think and does not do things to please their friends or anyone else for that matter because they could really care less. But most people in modern times are so obsessed with maintaining their ?punk? image they?ve forgotten what it is to be a punk, thus classifying them as posers. Therefore anyone who calls me or my friends a poser may go **** themselves in the *** with a sharp metallic object because at least we have not forgotten what it is to be a punk and really we could give a **** less what you think. - JD

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ5 Vegeta [/i]
[B]Seea punk doesn't give a **** what anybody things.[/b][/quote]
So what you're saying is that the apathetic are 'punk'.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ5 Vegeta:[/i]
[b] If you were to accuse a [i]true punk[/i] of being a prep they would not go into a long drawn out conversation denying they were a prep they would simply say: "**** you" . Our friends know who they are and they know who we are that's all that really matters, [i]not facist words such as punk, prep, jock, geek.[/i][/b][/quote]
You just contradicted yourself. But, it's ok for you to say someone's a poser right?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ5 Vegeta: [/i]
[b]Dressing in skateboard apparel even though they don?t skateboard and get piercings all because they think it makes them look more of a punk so that they may be accepted along with the rest of their ?punk? friends.[/b][/quote]
So people that wear surf gear yet don't surf are posers? And people who wear 'rich' clothes but are poor are posers?
The way you dress is not what you do. What the hell did you expect, really?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SSJ5 Vegeta: [/i]
[b]See a true punk does not give a **** what other people think and does not do things to please their friends or anyone else for that matter because they could really care less. - JD [/B][/QUOTE]

People will probably say that it was/is: a movement, a way of life, a way of thinking, a fashion statement, and other crap. The only 'punk' I'm interested in is the ****ing music genre so I could see what people listen to.

I don't care about a ****ing colored mohawk, converse shoes, spikes, chains, Hot Topic shirts, or what Fat Wreck band cd people have in their cd player to fit the punk stereotype.

Stop being a ****ing elitist and see that you are only contributing to the indifference and hostility by posting that tripe.

Punk is nothing but a style and a type of music... Much like Goth... What one person's though on Punk doesn't represent the Punk "community" in a whole.

Punk may be seen to you differently than me. I do know many "punk" people. Hel some are my good friends, and I give them nothing but respect for thier ability to be unique and artistic. And most of them are some of the nicest people I've ever meet... same with Goth... same with alot of styles...

For one person that believes this way of punk doesn't mean they all do and it's rather arrogant to speak as if you own the punk style. I may not dress like them, think like them, listen to the same music, but that will never stop me from respecting them to the greatest of my ability.

Well I skateboard, where Pac Sun, listen to bands like Sum 41, Kottenmouth kings, and others. I dont really care what people think about me. Im not sure if Im considered to be punk by most at school but i really dont care anyway. I just do what i like, listen to what i like, where what i like, play what i like and ect. I dont care what people label me as. To me there are really no categories, theres just people being them selves.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]I was going to say something, but that whole post made me so angered that I was scared that I would say something that would emotionally scar you for life, Vegeta. I skate. I listen to punk (btw, all those Slipknot quotes? You're a punker that listens to Slipknot? hahaha). I am, however, NOT an elitest. I'll be the first to admit I often dress like a prep. Oh well.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you're whole point is how you don't care what people think of you, cause you're a punk. "Therefore anyone who calls me or my friends a poser may go **** themselves in the ***..." Sounds like you really care what people think about you and your friends to me, you contradicting bastard. Stop giving us a bad name, go become a goth or something.

Shinji[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=royalblue] wow, this is quite the heated discussion, I have to say I do agree that you condradicted yourself, however I dress very prepy, but thats b/c its what I like to wear and what I think I look good in, if somebody tells me they don't like what I'm wearing I tell them not to look, I do enjoy listening to 'punk' music and pop and hip hop I do have my belly button pierced, but I did it b/c I like the way it looks, the thing that I think is the worlds biggest downfall is stereotypes, lets try not to encourage that I wish with all my heart that one day we could just wake up and stop them, however thats my 2 cents for whatever it's worth [/color]

I don't really know much about the whole "punk" field, but i certainly don't think it's worth wasting your time trying to get express how much you don't give a **** what people think. Because the facts of the matter are, 98% of people don't give a **** anyway, whether you dress in "punk", "goth", or "prep". Does it even matter? I think everyone needs to get over themselves and just move on with life. There are more important things in life than trying to throw everyone into category. Think about that one.

Guest Voodookanaka
How many times Im gonna end up posting this I have no idea but here gos. The moment u call yourself a punk u are conforming to the rules a regulations set by the Genre of being a punk. U there for automatically lose individual creativity and are contradicting everything being a punk stands for. Thusly TRUE punks would never call themselves a punk!!!!!

Boywonder u livin in a dream world???? 50% of the population are either emulators or emulator achievers, they just dont think enough to realise, 24% of ppl are belongers, I think youll find if u reverse your percentage u would be closer

(Ive studied, Psycology, sociology and media, Im also excentric so Im able to judge, so I know what im talking about)

maybe i should rephrase my previous statement. I do in fact agree that more people care than don't. But I think they get on with their lives. There's the extreme cases, where people take the discrimination to a ridiculous degree, so as to commit hate crimes and such, but i think a majority of people hold it in and get on with the more important things they have to care about. Not that it makes it any more right just because they don't acknowledge their hate or anything. i'm most certainly not saying that. Don't get me wrong here, I just think it's ridiculous when people hate another group of people because they hated them first. They're both being discriminatory, and most of the time neither of them can see that. it's just dumb...ya know? dunno if any of that made sense, but whatever...i guess it only has to make sense to me....:rolleyes:

SSJ5 Vegeta, I respect you as I do everyone..but those who are punk do not call themselves punks. Sure they know they are..but they don't say they are. I respect everyone..but i have a particular respect for punks. I don't know what it is, but I just find something special to respect about them. I'm not one, of that I'm sure. But i am good friends with the oddest person you will ever meet. He is a combination of every kind of person there is. He walks alone, he sits alone, he is quiet most of the time, and really doesn't give a **** what you think about him. He has ear piercings and he comes to school everyday wearing dress clothes. Clothes I wear on the rare occasion that i go to church. He has a big silver Rolex watch and leather Timberlands. He is probably considered to be the biggest "prep" in school other than myself and most of his friends are just that. But he is different. He only really talks to about 4 people at all, myself included. He is a punk by my definition and if you knew him I'm sure you would agree...

-Justin

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shinji v2.0 [/i]
[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]I was going to say something, but that whole post made me so angered that I was scared that I would say something that would emotionally scar you for life, Vegeta. I skate. I listen to punk (btw, all those Slipknot quotes? You're a punker that listens to Slipknot? hahaha). I am, however, NOT an elitest. I'll be the first to admit I often dress like a prep. Oh well.

I also find it HILARIOUS that you're whole point is how you don't care what people think of you, cause you're a punk. "Therefore anyone who calls me or my friends a poser may go **** themselves in the ***..." Sounds like you really care what people think about you and your friends to me, you contradicting bastard. Stop giving us a bad name, go become a goth or something.

Shinji[/COLOR][/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

You're one of those overly critical facist bastards I'd tell to go **** themselves. You're such a dumbass. And stop giving yourself a bad name you overly critical facist bastard. It's people like you that give "punks" a bad name.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Justin [/i]
[B]SSJ5 Vegeta, I respect you as I do everyone..but those who are punk do not call themselves punks. Sure they know they are..but they don't say they are. I respect everyone..but i have a particular respect for punks. I don't know what it is, but I just find something special to respect about them. I'm not one, of that I'm sure. But i am good friends with the oddest person you will ever meet. He is a combination of every kind of person there is. He walks alone, he sits alone, he is quiet most of the time, and really doesn't give a **** what you think about him. He has ear piercings and he comes to school everyday wearing dress clothes. Clothes I wear on the rare occasion that i go to church. He has a big silver Rolex watch and leather Timberlands. He is probably considered to be the biggest "prep" in school other than myself and most of his friends are just that. But he is different. He only really talks to about 4 people at all, myself included. He is a punk by my definition and if you knew him I'm sure you would agree...

-Justin [/B][/QUOTE]

I do agree with you dude. Like I said it's not your clothing style, or your skin color or hair color or how many piercings you have that makes you a punk. It's the way you live your life.

Hahaha some interesting thoughts.... Although I enjoy a GOOD MANNERED debate, this doesn't seem to be heading that way.... anyway, here's what the dictionary has to say.

[i]~punk (pngk) - noun - [b]Slang[/b]

1) A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
2) An inexperienced young man. [/i]

That is what you are by calling yourself a punk.... or how shall i say, thats the excepted deffinition.

However, if you bothered to look up the history of the word "punk" and it's meanings you'd be fairly surprised...

In archaic times (ancient times) punk meant that you were a [i]prostitute[/i]. Also it means [i]A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man.[/i]

Anyway, to you "punk" may be a way of life, to me it's just a style. And styles are fasions, and fasions aren't a way of life or we'd still be seeing parachute pants and Vanilla Ice hair cuts... Punk is what you make of it. As like Goth is. Some Goth people worship Satan, others just like to express themselves and are the nicest people in the world.... others write great music (ie: Malice Mizer)... Not all Goth are the same, just as not all punks are the same, thus it doesn't make it a way of life to ALL punks. It's a way of life to YOU and YOU only. There's no "punk" scipture. You live your life as you want to, and that happens to be wearing punk clothes and listening to punk music and doing whatever you do.... doesn't mean your views are associated with all punks across the land, as Voodoo so elequantly pointed out.

• 2 weeks later...
Whee, looking through old topics is fun! Vegikins is right, punk is just a musical genre. It has it's own fashions and attitudes...the dictionary was right, as punk has always been, generally, a rebellious group of young people. You shouldn't attach anything to the entire genre of punk, though, because of all the sub-genres it has. You can call pop-punk "posing" as much as you want, but it's still punk, ne? As punks are supposed to be such individuals who don't "conform" into anything...nothing should really be expected from any punk. It's a personal desision. I shouldn't be expected to be an atheist because of listening to punk rock, because being Christian is a personal desision that I won't change, even if a million punk rock bands aren't that way.

About clothing? It's taste. People grow fond of it. I have friends who listen to punk and love to dress punk, but they like the look. It's fun to dress that way, btw. If they like dressing gothic, skater-punk, whatever, it's their taste, let them be.

Whee, tired. Here's the list of words I am VERY SICK of hearing from "punks": sellout, poser, conformist, anarchy (there are anarchy patches sold by MTV, what does that tell you?), facist.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B][i]~punk (pngk) - noun - Slang

1) A young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.
2) An inexperienced young man. [/i][/b][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]It also means "of punk rock"[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][b]Punk is what you make of it.[/B][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]Exactly. There is no set definition to the term "punk". "Punk" is an undefined term, like "point, plane, line" or whatnot. Everyone is not neccessailry going to have the same definition. The dictionary trys to explain it the best they can but it is best left undescribed. Why? Because literal people will look it up in the dictionary and judge people by the definition. Punk is in the heart and in the mind. You don't need to look like a punk to be "punk". If we all dressed the same it'd be a uniform. That's why punk can't be judged by appearance. I can't say it any better way then "Punk is what you make of it." A lot of "punks" these days are unaware of that themselves. If you've ever seen the movie [i]SLC Punk[/i] then you know what I'm talking about. The main character kept going on about how he's punk and he's anarchy, but in the end he himself admitted that he was nothing more than a "trendy-*** poser". So all of you people that go around calling yourselves "punks" are nothing more than that. If you ask them for a definition, they shouldn't really be able to give one. So if they do then yes, call them a poser. But if they have a lot of pride in being "punk" run after you say that cause they'll prolly beat the crap outta you.[/SIZE]