Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
If i knew Japanese i could probably answer this easier but my guess is that the character's names have a close relation to their appearance or personality. They also might have a direct connection with something in the show like the Epitaph of Twilight but it's just a guess....
Posted
*pulls out his handy dandy Japanese-to English dictionary*

Tsukasa- Just a name.
Mimiru- I found nothing, really, apart from the fact that Mimi means Ear.
Bear- ...It is a large furry mammal that I'm sure we're all familiar with if we've seen one named Winnie who for some reason is associated with feces.
Sora- Sky or weather. Another meaning is an expression meaning, "Hey! Look!"
Crim- Pretty much shortened for the English word "Crimson." I think we all knew that..
B.T.- As explained in the show, it's [spoiler] BLT without the L, so it's pretty much bacon and tomato, but no lettuce.[/spoiler]
Subaru- Just a name, like Tsukasa. Also a name of a type of car.
Ginkan- That's the Japanese name for Silver Knight, for those who don't know. Gin is silver and Kan means intuition or a volume in a series of periodicals.

:D There ya go. That's about it for the main characters..
Posted
I'v heard Sora's name also means wind. Hey, Crim could be his real name spelled back wards! .......Mirc? Ok, scratch that....
Posted
I think the names are probably one of the most under-developed aspects of .hack. Here, the creators had the chance to actually make their characters analyze themselves, but I guess they didn't jump on that chance. Just look at what you learn about B.T. and her name: the creator's character (I mean B.T.'s user) just looked at herself through her online name! Realize that characters created characters in Project .hack, so I there's another level to look at.

Yeah, B.T.'s explanation of her name isn't really that deep, but it made you wonder about the other characters. I mean, there's still time, but with what's currently happening, I doubt there will be time to tell the story behind why the .hack characters gave their characters those names.

Haha, was I embarrassed when I mixed-up "Tsukasa" with "Tsubasa!" :blush:
Posted
Sometimes it helps if you break a name up and then look it up because it might have/probably has more than one word (character) in it. Although I found all of this, it would be a [B]big help[/B] if I could see their names in characters.

I only tryed Tsukasa, Subaru, and Mimiru but, had the most luck with Mimiru's name.
(*) means a character, [I]n.[/I] means noun, and [I]vb.[/I] means verb

With Tsukasa, I didn't find out much.
I tryed '[I]tsu[/I]' and '[I]kasa[/I]' and got:

[B]tsu[/B]

[B]kasa[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)-umbrella

Subaru's name wasn't any better.
I tryed '[I]su[/I]' and couldn't find '[I]baru[/I]' so I looked for '[I]ba[/I]' and then '[I]ru[/I]'. I didn't find '[I]ru[/I]' but, for '[I]ba[/I]' it said:

[B]ba[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- place; spot; space; occasion
& for 'su' it read:

[B]su[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- vinegar
a second '[I]su[/I]' but, with a different character said:

[B]su[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- animal habitat: nest, cobweb, den, honeycomb.
and yet another '[I]su[/I]' but with the long vowel mark over it said:

[B]su[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- number.

Now, Mimiru was a different story:

[B]mi[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- 1. body
2. person; [I]hitori mi[/I]= single person
3. flesh; meat

[B]mi[/B],[I]n.[/I] (*)- fruit; nut; [I]mi ga naru[/I]= bear fruit

[B]miru[/B],[I]vb.[/I] (*)- 1. look; see; watch.
2. take care of

[B]-miru[/B] (*)- try; [I]tabetemiru[/I]= try food

[I]Now I feel kinda silly that I looked all of this up.[/I] :sweat:
Posted
Wow u went through alot of truoble looking that up and u must not have been happy when u couldent find much about tukasa or mimiru.


thx:D
Posted
damn , i would just say i didnt know or say nothing at all but u guys kinda go all out. I thought they just gave them names that sounded good and i never really thought about their name meanings. I think they shold have gave them names that refer to the character's characteristics
Posted
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Crazy Ace [/i]
[B]damn , i would just say i didnt know or say nothing at all but u guys kinda go all out. I thought they just gave them names that sounded good and i never really thought about their name meanings. I think they shold have gave them names that refer to the character's characteristics [/B][/QUOTE] That's usually the case, Crazy Ace. It's not uncommon for both creators and fans to find relations to a character and his/her name. Recent example (and sadly, the only example I can think of right now) would be Naruto: "naruto" is apparently a swirly fish cake that's put in ramen, and Naruto [I]loves[/I] ramen.

Most of the time, the creators give the name a purpose, other than just identity. It's kind of disappointing to find nothing like that in .hack, especially with the amount of depth this series has. Then again, these are a character's name for their character in "The World," so it makes sense that their behavior isn't fully aligned with their name. Simply, it's a person who is hiding behind the guise of another, so the names mismatching would be a logical conclusion.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...