OtakuBoards

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040

Solo Tremaine

I really like bubblegum crisis 2040.
The story is interseting and sometimes its very serious but it can be funny aswell.
I think my fav chara is Priss, because she can look after herself but she does have feelings, as shown in her relationship with Leon.

Bubblegum Crisis is what got me into anime. in one junk-food fuelled weekened we watched every last Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, whilst playing through the first three disks of FF9. We had lots of fun :D . But onto the point. of which there really isn't any.

This show is similar in concept to Eva, but different in execution. Eva is about teens, and angst, about growing up and facing your fears. Things like that. BGCT2040 is basically about killing Boomers. It doesn't really start getting series until about... halfway through the series, as the first few episodes are ust about the characaters learning there thing. When it does start getting serious its quite good though, especially when [spoiler]they realise their suits are actually boomers[/spoiler].

Honestly, thats all I can really think of. Apart from the [spoiler]the characters fusing with their suits near the end[/spoiler] it is very similar to Eva. i like both the series, though BGCT2040 more, but in reality they are very smililar.

To tell you the truth, I have a hard time seeing any significant conceptual similarities between BGC and Evangelion. Maybe this is becasue Eva has a lot in common with RahXephon, and I'm used to comparing those two shows. They resemble each other very, very closely, in everything from basic set-up to major plot twists. However, both series are easily among the best anime ever made.

But back to BGC...

The Eva pilots are barely out of puberty, whereas the youngest Knight Saber could, at 18, be considered a full adult. In my mind, this makes a big difference. The Knight Sabers are fairly well-adjusted human beings, and therefore lack the adolescent neuroses and angst that Evangelion has come to be associated with.

And in terms of moral alignment, everyone in BGC is portrayed as being either on the side of right.... or on the side of wrong. I mean, you can instantly tell the good guys from the bad guys--often merely by listening to them speak. In Evangelion, the characters' actions are painted in a slightly more nuanced light.

To me, these aren't really matters of execution. After all, the complexity of human nature seems to be one of Eva's underlying themes. Plenty of anime revolve around cute young people controlling powerful mechas (everything from the Gundam franchise to Full Metal Panic). It's these shows' atmospheres and philosophies which end up setting them apart. BGC, unlike Eva, is more about giving the viewer a fun time than provoking serious thought.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1']To tell you the truth, I have a hard time seeing any significant conceptual similarities between BGC and Evangelion.[/quote] With you so far. I think they are completely different shows, for many of the reasons you gave.
[quote name='Dagger IX1']...in terms of moral alignment, everyone in BGC is portrayed as being either on the side of right.... or on the side of wrong.[/quote]
I think Mason is more insane than evil (his boss is more evil than insane). I think the Boomers are morally neutral in the way a typhoon or a blizzard is. They are just tools; then they are just misused tools. They are also abused tools; they are shown to be mistreated and scorned by humans.[quote name='Dagger IX1']BGC, unlike Eva, is more about giving the viewer a fun time than provoking serious thought.[/quote]
I think BGC2040 is a fairly good riff on the question "What is human?" which was asked over and over by Philip K. Dick in most of his brilliant and crazy SF novels. And I like the fact that the show doesn't have to congratulate itself over and over for asking the question...

I like BGC2040 a lot. It is nice to see that people are still discovering and enjoying it. When I first watched it it was hard to get into - the first few episodes are great, but there is not much of the kind of action promised by the OP sequence. Later episodes have plenty of action though. And the fight scenes are logical. The ending was well-done.

Having seen the original series and the OAV previously I prefer 2040. "Konya wa Hurricane" in the original is a neat song but it looks funny having a 4-piece band do it. The music for 2040 fits better and I prefer it; I still enjoy the "Sekiria" songs (I never checked out the attempts to change the songs). I have watched the series a couple of times and will certainly watch and enjoy it again one of these days.

Guest got_Goku15
[QUOTE=bimbo69]I really like bubblegum crisis 2040.
The story is interseting and sometimes its very serious but it can be funny aswell.
I think my fav chara is Priss, because she can look after herself but she does have feelings, as shown in her relationship with Leon.[/QUOTE]

My fav chara is Priss too.
Because shes Priss,and Priss is like so cool.

Guest got_Goku15
[quote name='ElrickOtaku']I really liked the first half of this series (apart from the music ) as it was fairly straightforward to follow. Unfortunately, though the plot got more interesting towards the end, that just made it more difficult to follow (I first tuned in at about ep.20 or so - not good). It does definately seem to be a good drama anime, but the comedy seems a bit little and far between, even by Evangelion standards![/quote]

I've only saw 3 of the movie,I had to brow them from a friend.
But I wish I owned all the movie. :(
I whonld love to see them all, It's just not far!!! :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

[color=#503f86]got_Goku15, please put more effort into your posts- the grammar and spelling needs work, it lacks substance and there are too many smilies relative to the amount of text you have there.

I suggest you check the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?"]Rules[/url] section.

As for the comedy moments being few and far between- it generally has more subtle humour in it than that of Evangelion, which needed some quite blatant humour to help balance the really heavy psychological traumas that were going on throughout the series. BGC:T2040 I thought was a generally very light-hearted series, although the humour tended to disappear after the later set of episodes it was still there. But I was too wrapped up in the action to really worry about the quips being made, heh.[/color]

• 2 years later...
[SIZE=2][FONT=Century Gothic]After watching the series I didn't understand what all the excitement was about. What was so special about these girls that they got to wear the Hard Suits!? Quite frankly, they all seemed quite normal and dull. I ( in my own humble opinion) think they shoudn't have waited till the end to show the ability for the HS to transform or to develop just a momentary personal connection between the girls and the HSs'.[/FONT][/SIZE] :sleep: :animedepr

• 4 weeks later...
This may be pushing the rule of the boards a bit, but can anyone tell me if a english translation of the original bubblegum crisis sound track exists and, if so where it can be sourced (torrents or to buy) Also which is the better series and why. The original or tokyo 2040?

By english translation do you just mean the lyrics? I can't really tell from your post. If so, [URL=http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/bgc/][u]you're in luck[/u][/URL]! But if you're looking for english versions of the songs [I]themselves[/I] you may be in for a tough time; as I recall, they DID do english versions of at least some of the tunes (anyone else want to back me up on this?), but I don't think they ever got a proper release recording-wise. I'm willing to be proved wrong, however.

[quote name='Cudwieser']Also which is the better series and why. The original or tokyo 2040?[/quote]I like 2040 and all, and both series are great fun, but as a total geek for mid/late-'80s anime I have to side with the original. The writing's a bit better, ditto for the acting - and there's also the fact that you bring up, which is that Bubblegum Crisis the first has one of the greatest soundtracks in the genre. But really, any choice between the two is likely going to come down to whether you prefer the style of 1988 to 1998 or vice versa.