OtakuBoards

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040

Solo Tremaine

This series has recently been airing on the Sci-Fi channel in the UK, and personally I think it's great. It's almost up to the same standards as Evangelion in terms of the action, drama, suspense, but is a lot more light-hearted, which makes it somewhat easier to get through.

I really like the way the characters are written (particularly Maki, Nene, Lina and Priss). In my opinion, the music's not too great (along with the song lyrics: "Your DNA is the best" o_O; ), but it's not too obvious, hehe.

We're not all the way through the series yet (we're over half-way through, with 13 episodes left). There still seems to be a lot left in it, though. I hope it'll continue to be as good as it has been.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen it, and what they thought of it.

[color=indigo]I think that the music from Bubblegum Crisis is hysterical because the lyrics are so bad...it just goes to show that language does not transcend all barriers.

It is a pretty funny series and has some near laugh out loud scenes. It also has quite a bit of action. The only thing that I think the story is lacking is charecterization...I never felt familiar with any charecters despite the excellent job they do on giving the girls such flamboyant personalities...[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Heaven's Cloud [/i]
[B][color=indigo]I think that the music from Bubblegum Crisis is hysterical because the lyrics are so bad...it just goes to show that language does not transcend all barriers. [/color][/QUOTE][/B]

Yeah, definately ^_^; The ending theme's not so bad as the opening one, but they're still pretty bad. One of the few programmes I try and avoid the opening and closing credits to, heh.

[QUOTE][color=indigo][B]It is a pretty funny series and has some near laugh out loud scenes. It also has quite a bit of action. The only thing that I think the story is lacking is charecterization...I never felt familiar with any charecters despite the excellent job they do on giving the girls such flamboyant personalities...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the characters are quite hard to identify with, and very much playing on stereotypes, but I like them anyway. They all seem to help the storyline flow as it should.

I hope the series doesn't drag on too much, though. It seems like we should be getting to the climax in a few episodes' time, but we've still got another twelve left o_o;

Yeah, BBCT2040 is a pretty good series.
I've got all but the last few episodes, on VHS.

It has good music, as well as good mecha/character designs. The story is a little weak, but still enjoyable.

My favorite characters have to be Leon his partner, of the AD police. They're pretty funny, together.
Oh, and Nene is pretty cool too, not to mention cute.:D

I rented it a while back, and saw maybe the first 10 or so episodes, but it took too long to get going into the action parts, and I didn't really like the characters too much. The animation was pretty good as I remember, but I just got tired of it. Does it get any better later on? The plot with the robots reminds me of the Animatrix, the one where they gave the history of robots and the uprising. I always felt bad for the robots in Bubblegum, they kind of had emotions or something.

I have rented all the DVDs from my library's collection, and I must say that it is pretty good. I especially like the fact that Kenichi Sonoda does the design of the suits/characters (since I am reading a comic book of his design).

The biggest problem I have is that the story near the end seems kind of cheesy compaired to the original Bubblegum Crisis. Other then that I really enjoyed it.

Am I the only one who enjoys the lyrics? Well maybe it's just because Prissi is singing.......lol
If you want a terrible song, how about the one Prissi is singing in like episode 2? Or 3? It's the one when Rina finds her. It goes something like we look to the west and stuff like that. Japanese should have been used for that song. It just burns your ears in english.

As for the actual series, i think it is awesome and that is why it is one of my personal favorites. I have only seen a bit of the original bubblegum crisis but i hear that all of the politics were replaced with the sex appeal of 2040.

Prissi is my alter ego.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]If you want a terrible song, how about the one Prissi is singing in like episode 2? Or 3? It's the one when Rina finds her. It goes something like we look to the west and stuff like that. Japanese should have been used for that song. It just burns your ears in english.[/B][/QUOTE]

Were they in Japanese I probably wouldn't mind them, but the subtitles of the main themes and the translations of the songs aren't particularly great, heh, and has kind of stuck me in the frame of mind of them not being very good. The electric guitar orchestration's good, mind. I still prefer the Evangelion songs.

One thing, though- am I right in thinking Spike Spencer plays Maki? He's not cast in the end credits at all (Maki's name appears nowhere), but I'm sure it's him. He sounds almost exactly like Shinji, perhaps it's just me...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Hiei Jagashi [/i]
[B]All i know aboght this anime was that it was not very long.I also have heard it is exelent.I persenoly think it looks realy cool and whould realy like to see it but i cant aford to buy the series. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not very long? It's 26 episodes like most animes. Unless you are thinking of the original which i have no idea about it length.

There was Bubblegum Crash, which starred exactly the same characters. I've not actually seen that, though- only the DVD case. Although the characters looked hugely different, and not nearly as good in my opinion. Tokyo: 2040 has a very definate style to it, which is one I greatly like.

About the ending- I really liked it. I'm a sucker for corny endings, heh. Although [spoiler]it would have been nice to actually see them meeting up again rather than leaving Priss, Nene and Linna where they were.[/spoiler] It makes for a better dramatic effect the way it was, but I like closure, dammit. Still, it was very good.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by vegeta rocker [/i]
[B]Not very long? It's 26 episodes like most animes. Unless you are thinking of the original which i have no idea about it length. [/B][/QUOTE]

The original BGC was eight episodes long, and each was about 45 minutes (sans advertisements).

• 5 months later...
I just purchased the Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 box set (my, isn't that a mouthful?). There are certain series which I feel strangely compelled to buy, despite knowing absolutely nothing about them. Descendants of Darkness was one such show; BGC is another.

Thankfully, I am extremely pleased with this anime. Although it's relatively old, its artwork is crisp, colorful and easy on the eyes. I suspect that a great deal of it was done digitally--like Fruits Basket and other digitally animated shows, Bubblegum Crisis has a certain sharp, clear look that makes it very visually engaging. The dub is also rather good; there were some awkward scenes in the episodes that I've watched, but nothing which made me want to turn off the TV and cry.

I've seen up to episode 9, and so far BGC's plot reminds me vaguely of Big O's. The two shows have similar atmospheres, although I'm inclined to think that Big O is somewhat.... well, deeper. BGC may be interesting, but it hasn't really gone anywhere yet. Hopefully its storyline will start to take off soon, now that most of the main characters have been introduced.

Okay, I'll admit it--I love BGC's shoujo-ai overtones and subtle fanservice. It manages to incorporate plenty of eye candy without becoming trashy in the slightest. Besides, Priss and Lina would make a fantastic couple. ^_~

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1'] The dub is also rather good; there were some awkward scenes in the episodes that I've watched, but nothing which made me want to turn off the TV and cry.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]I always tend to watch dubs with the Japanese-version translation subtitles running along the bottom so I can compare the two, and I was pleased with BGC too. There's not much that's been missed out or changed, and at one point in one of the last episodes I think the dub version's actually better. The character interactions are written very well. Scenes with Leon and Nene in them always make me smile.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger IX1']BGC may be interesting, but it hasn't really gone anywhere yet. Hopefully its storyline will start to take off soon, now that most of the main characters have been introduced.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]It does take a while to get into, yeah. For the first half it's pretty much 'Boomer of the day' style episodes with few revelational stories or complicated arcs, but it does change. Since I've not seen Big O I can't really compare (but I will soon, thanks to Toonami UK), but it is definately worth seeing through.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger IX1']Okay, I'll admit it--I love BGC's shoujo-ai overtones and subtle fanservice. It manages to incorporate plenty of eye candy without becoming trashy in the slightest. Besides, Priss and Lina would make a fantastic couple. ^_~[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Heh, they do. But there is scope for Lina and Nene too, though...[/COLOR]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Gotta say I'm an "original" BGC fan. Kenichi Sonoda did the character designs for the original (not 2040) version, and I found his character designs a lot nicer to look at. However, 2040 [i]is[/i] a nice little gem, it's just not something I'd be willing to spend my money on. The characterisation's come a long way since BGC though. I'll give it that. Everyone's a lot more pronounced, and I prefer Nene with blonde hair as opposed to pink ^_~[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]But, that having been said, the soundtrack's gone [i]way[/i] downhill since the original. Or maybe that's just me... Hurricane was a really weak remake in both language versions. Rent a copy of BGC and compare it... the original version is the mind blower - in both languages.[/font]

I really liked the first half of this series (apart from the music ) as it was fairly straightforward to follow. Unfortunately, though the plot got more interesting towards the end, that just made it more difficult to follow (I first tuned in at about ep.20 or so - not good). It does definately seem to be a good drama anime, but the comedy seems a bit little and far between, even by Evangelion standards!

I find it interesting that no one (including me) seems to really like Sylia, even though she's probably the show's most complicated and well-developed character. Despite her calm-looking exterior, she is a very volatile, short-tempered woman, who presents herself differently to every person she encounters. Among her customers, Sylia comes across as being warm, friendly, outgoing and sophisticated. She reveals more of herself when she's around the Knight Sabers, but even then she tries (often unsuccessfully) to hide or repress her anger.

There are several scenes in BGC where we see Sylia at her most vulnerable--alone, frightened by her responsibilities, and unable to share the burden with anyone else. Yet for some reason, I still find myself unable to identify with her. Overall, she's a rather peculiar person, and I look forward to learning more about her past.

I'm also intrigued by Maki, who, like Lina, is genuinely nice. He and Nene are so cute together. ^_^

~Dagger~

Im a big fan of the first BCG series. They are my fav animes because i found that the characters were so evoled in the series and the story lines were great. I didnt like Bubble Gum crash which in my a opion was trash compared to the first series and a complete let down. I really likd the AD Police files which are set before the night sabers. As for 2040 i couldnt see it cause it was on when i was at school but ive seen some stuff on the web and thought it look good and by what is said here it must be good. But you just cant beet the orginal.

James Goodwin, you've seen A.D. Police? Once of my Tokyo 2040 DVDs came with a preview for that show, and I'm really interested in watching it. Its animation looks spectacular, perhaps even better than BGC's, and I've already fallen in love with the character designs.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for you. Is A.D. Police a direct prequel to Tokyo 2040, or does it simply take place in an earlier time period? Also, how are the police portrayed differently in ADP? Since they're the main characters, I would assume that they're presented more favorably than they are in Tokyo 2040 or the original Bubblegum Crisis.

~Dagger~

The Ad Police files is set when leon just joins the AD Police as a rookie. The ad police in retrospect are basically not as organized in BCG but more like a rag tag bunch of boomer killers. The series overall is excellent. It a morden one made in 1999 i think. It quite a sick piece of work actually cause it is relly gory and twisted. I know a web site about it. I will pm it to you the adress that is. This is to anyone because if your a fan to the night sabers then this will be a big shock to the system.

Many thanks for the link and information, James Goodwin. ^_^

I just finished watching episode 20 ("One of These Nights"), and I have a couple of questions. First of all, I don't really understand what motivates [spoiler]Galatea. She's clearly a special kind of robot, but the show also emphasizes her inhumanity--if only to remind us that the Knight Sabers are definitely on the side of good.[/spoiler] I could be making some unfair assumptions here, seeing how as I still have six episodes to go, but I'm getting rather muddled.

[spoiler]At first it seems as though Galatea simply wants to have fun. She has the body and mind-set of a capricious human child, although her intelligence probably surpasses that of your average [i]Homo sapiens[/i]. Galatea plays with robots like toys, not realizing how much damage she is causing. But perhaps (as Mason's philosophical spiels suggest) she regards human beings as a lesser race, and sees nothing wrong with killing them--just as people rarely stop to consider the emotions of the ants beneath their feet.

However, I can't bring myself to believe that Galatea doesn't have a conscience, especially when she finally begins to mature. She asks Mason why he hates his own kind (or something like that; I can't remember Galatea's exact words), impling that there's nothing wrong with accepting himself for who he is.... a human, not a boomer. This simple, pleasant curiousity doesn't explain her incredible appetite for destruction.[/spoiler]

Does [spoiler]Galatea[/spoiler] have feelings? Is she capable of love?

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger IX1]I just finished watching episode 20 ("One of These Nights"), and I have a couple of questions. First of all, I don't really understand what motivates [spoiler]Galatea. She's clearly a special kind of robot, but the show also emphasizes her inhumanity--if only to remind us that the Knight Sabers are definitely on the side of good.[/spoiler'] I could be making some unfair assumptions here, seeing how as I still have six episodes to go, but I'm getting rather muddled.[/quote][COLOR=#503F86]These things often confuse me in animes, too. BlackWarGreymon was the worst to try and figure out, but at least the dialogue's better in BGC. Anyway, my guess would be (I've not watched the series for some time) [spoiler]that she is just a rogue boomer with incredible power and the ability to seek reason for actions and beliefs. Rogue boomers spread destruction about the city in the earlier episodes- since all Boomer technology was based on her she should also contain the same fundamental programming that makes her go rogue. Hence, although she can theorise about living beings and life, she can't go against what is essentially mechanical instinct.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Dagger]Does [spoiler]Galatea[/spoiler'] have feelings? Is she capable of love?[/quote][spoiler]That would be telling...[/spoiler][/COLOR]