OtakuBoards

Saosin -- Heard of 'em?

Dan Rugh

If you read the thread title you probably had trouble saying the name. It is pronounced [i]Say-oh-sin[/i] and they are an amazing band from California (Anthony is from Philadelphia, representin' PA!). Although I don't really like to make comparisons, most people say they sound like either Coheed & Cambria or The Used. meh! Hardcore/emo if you must.

I saw this band at the Crowbar, a nice little place that has great shows, at my university. They were first to perform out of themselves, My Chemical Romance, and Taking Back Sunday. Anthony is a little weird, doing his Special Ed impression from Crank Yankers, between songs. That can get a little annoying, but the music is great.

Well, they have an EP out now entitled [i]Translating the Name[/i] with 5 songs on it (see below). A full-length album is expected to be finished by early 2004.

The songs are:
[i]Seven Years
Translating the Name
3rd Measurement in C
Lost Symphonies
They Perch on Their Stilts Pointing and Daring Me to Break Custom
[/i]

I highly recommend this band, for they are now one of my favorites.

Heh, suprisingly enough I've heard of them. A few weeks ago my friend insisted I download some of their songs because (in his words).

"They OWN AFI"

So I downloaded Seven Years, Translating the Name, and Lost Symphonies. Well, they don't own AFI as I was told. But it was a nice suprise that they rocked. :) The guys voice is just a [i]tad[/i] annoying, but really, most punk singers...can't sing. :p Even though I'm a fan of the genre, I really can't stand their voices.

They are good enough to grant an album buy though. I'll probably buy it tommorow when I go to the record store, and check back up on this topic.

• 2 years later...
Guest Braid
First off, the band's name is pronounced "SAY-OCEAN". I learned this through Saosin.com's FAQ page. But, all good... most people do pronounce it as "SAY-O-SIN". even sounds a bit better...
And being a HUGE AFI fan that I am and have been for years, I dont see how Saosin's voice could get even MILDLY annoying, considering Davey Havok's voice is probably one of the most unique voices in it's genre. I mean, at times, he sounds like a girl. His voice is simply amazing... vocal range and everything. And as far as the lead singer for Saosin (Cove Reber). His voice is very similar, which is why I like them so much.. probably my second favorite band all time now.
Anyhow, for those that want some good songs to download, check out:
"I Can Tell"
"Uphill Battle"
"Bury Your Head"

Those are some of my favorites. Anyways, enjoy... this band is amazing. Especially the drummer.

[font=trebuchet ms]Saosin is one of my favorite bands out there. While I'm not too much of a fan of their new stuff (with Cove replacing Anthony as their vocalist), I follow them religiously. I'm just going to do a rundown of anything they've recorded that I know of.

[size=1][b]Translating the Name EP[/b]
1. Seven Years
2. Translating the Name
3. 3rd Measurement in C
4. Lost Symphonies
5. They Perched on Their Stilts, Pointing and Daring Us to Break Custom

[b]Demos with Anthony Green[/b]
I Can Tell There Was an Accident Here Earlier
I Have Become What I've Always Hated
Show Me Yo Bootyhole (aka. "Crap Rap")
Mookie's Last Christmas
Seven Years (Acoustic)
3rd Measurment in C (Acoustic)

[b]Saosin EP (with Cove Reber)[/b]
1. Bury Your Head
2. I Wanna Hear Another Fast Song
3. New Angel
4. Lost Symphonies (Live)
5. Bury Your Head (Acoustic)

[b]Demos with Cove[/b]
I Can Tell There Was an Accident Here Earlier (Second Version)
Penelope (Acoustic)
Dead and Lonely[/size]

I only do that because there's so many people that get it wrong, and there's no copies left of [i]Translating the Name[/i], so everyone gets track titles wrong, and some people think that album doesn't even exist. Also, a lot of Anthony Green's other side-projects get mixed into Saosin somehow on P2P networks, etc.

Now, if you're a fan of the former singer of Saosin, he's been in quite a few other bands afterwards. They include High and Driving, Jeer At Rome, Zolof the Rock & Roll Destroyer, Circa Survive, and The Sound of Animals Fighting. He also has his own solo songs, which have some amusing titles.

Obviously, I'm a major Anthony Green fan, lol. He has a... beautiful voice, especially in Circa Survive, where he really shows it off.

Other than that, my favorite Saosin song is "They Perched on Their Stilts, Pointing and Daring Us to Break Custom," it's one of their heaviest and the chorus is really energetic.

The band's [u][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saosin]Wikipedia page[/url][/u] mentions more albums earlier than [i]Translating the Name[/i], but they're likely impossible to find.[/font]

I haven't been on this site in AGES... but I got an automated email saying that someone posted in this thread that I made in September of 2003. Wow! That was a long time ago....

Anyway... I don't really listen to Saosin anymore since Anthony left back in the beginning of 2004. I was excited about Cove being the new singer when I heard "Bury Your Head" which is an excellent song, but I downloaded the newer EP with him singing a while ago and I was [I]more[/I] than disappointed. They're just not the same anymore... All the old stuff with Anthony, even the B-Sides, were amazing. With Cove, Saosin has really lost its spark. Oh well, I can still listen to Circa Survive for my Anthony fix. *winks at signed Circa poster*

I love Saosin, but I also love AFI.

My fave saosin song is Seven Years. I love it! The acoustic version is sooo beautiful too. If they had more songs like that, then I would agree that they are as good as AFI, but AFI has been in the game for years and years. You can't pwn a veteran.