OtakuBoards

Marching band issues

stardust

Hehe. Our band doesn't get any crap, because noone is that stupid! We hav like a 200 piece band, all of whom march. We're the Hermitage Marching Panther- The Pride of Central Virginia! Even if we sucked it hard last night at te competition... We're the biggest group in the school, so don't mess with the band! Also, what other group has too many trophies to fit in their wing of the school. That right, the band gets their own wing. Which our band boosters paid for. We're a rich band, even if it's a ghetto school. Also the chearleaders do chears with us, so they don't mess with us.

We're a rich band too. We ahve so many instruments it's not even funny....we're one of the best bands though.We totally smoked everybody at competition.The music dept. has their own wing--only has a bunch of band rooms and a chior room, the band dominates,lol. We're the bulldogs--the pride of olmsted falls--lol. Marching season is almost over,it kinda makes me sad,only 2 more home games.Our homecoming game is this week.

[size=1] *scratches head* We've never really had a problem with that at our school...

The whole Principal-not-letting-you-hang-signs thing is really stupid. You guys should talk to one of your teacher about it, and talk to your [evil] principal. Ha. Princi-PAL. Yeah, right.

At our school, it's always Band did this, Band did that, Chorus did that, Chorus did this, but does the orchestra ever get credit. NO.

Anyways, the football players who call band people fags are just inconsiderate and close-minded. And then you take into mind that I REALLY dislike homophobia, so I would get pretty fired up if someone said that to me.

Well, many people at my school think people in the orchestra and band are losers and nerds, but they wouldn't know jack. I don't think they know how much dedication and practice it takes to play an instrument well. Orchestral music is practically the root of most music, so they should shut up about us being losers if it's one thing. I have no idea why so many people think being in orchestra means your an outcast or a moron. Musical talent is a wonderful thing to have. [/size]

[font=arial][color=hotpink][size=1][b]
Wow, our marching season ends at almost the same time!
UIL marching contest is this Tuesday. We're all pretty nervous, but we're confident that we'll make a first division again this year. It's too bad that marching season is over though-now it's just inside playing and practicing for All-Region tryouts.
Our homecoming is this week. Anyway, good luck everyone! ^.^[/font][/color][/size][/b]

Guest KyleTheHusker
It's really to be expected when you are in a group as labeled as geeks as the band. I was in band for four years in High school and am now in the Cornhusker Marching band for the University of Nebraska (go Huskers!) and I can atest to almost everything you've all said here.

When I was a freshman in high school, band wasn't very popular around the school (Elkhorn High School in Nebraska for the curious). We had a lame director, and only had about 60 people in band out of about 850 students in school. We were all labeled as geeks, which made things somewhat difficult when people of higher social groups found out. In addition, there was no unity in our band with the upperclassmen making the rookies do everything for them (i.e. getting their stuff, doubling and tripling up on busses, doing stuff that was their responsibility). Despite all of this, we got through it and showed well at competitions. and made it through the year unharmed.

After my freshman year, we got a new director who was the complete opposite of our old one. She was more upbeat, believed in pride and respect, and wasn't gonna take crap from anyone. From that day on, everything changed. Band actually became popular to be in, with us more than doubling our freshman total of personel by my senior year. All the organizations supported us, we were respected, and finally became the Pride of the Antlers (our school mascot).

Now that I'm college, I find that I am even more respected than ever. Our band, being the Pride of All Nebraska, is well known for it's outstanding achievements in music and marching, and is second in the school in popularity to only the football team.

On the overall, it's been a great journey for me so far and will continue to be far into the future. Basically, don't get down on yourself just because your in band. Instead, embrace it and play your heart out; you're in band because you like to be so why not show it? People will always say things, it's just better to shrug them off and get on with your life. You're band should be about pride, and pride isn't letting other clicheish groups push you around to the point that it's no longer fun. Just sit back, play hard, enjoy your time in band because it won't be there forever.

HAVE FUN!! And, Go Huskers! And Go Trombones!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yu Yu Hakusho! [/i]
[B][font=arial][color=hotpink][size=1][b]
Wow, our marching season ends at almost the same time!
UIL marching contest is this Tuesday. We're all pretty nervous, but we're confident that we'll make a first division again this year. It's too bad that marching season is over though-now it's just inside playing and practicing for All-Region tryouts.
Our homecoming is this week. Anyway, good luck everyone! ^.^[/font][/color][/size][/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

Congratulations Lauren, it's interesting that we got first place in the UIL, I remember last year we didn't even get in 3rd place.:)

[color=hotpink][font=arial][size=1][b]
Acutally, we did get first last year! Ever since our current band teachers started teaching this year (they were hired in the first place to build the band back again) we've been doing great. Umm...but yeah, we got a 1 at UIL last Tuesday. Only us and the Woodlands (which figures...) got a 1 in our school district.[/color][/font][/size][/b]

Everyone in my schoool.... extra currilicular activities dont really label you. one of the best basketball payers is a sax. sum really popular kids are in the band. i think its better if the band director allows members to hav an outside life. if they can only be in band, then they wont make any outside friends. not alot, ne way. im a saxamaphone (too many simpsons). on the topic of comps, i have to give congrats to the drum majors who got first at u of I and we got 2nd overall in parade comp. U of I is a very hard thing to place in, especially with prospect, tho we're not in the same classificatoion. im just rambling.

I feel your pain stardust. I was on marching band all through high school. Why do all the sports teams get support and not the band? I mean, their games would be a lot less interesting if it weren?t for our music and support! And our band never got along with the cheerleaders. There is just some unknown rule that states band and cheerleaders shall not get along. I won?t even get into the football team. Primarily because they always lost and we had to watch the lose every game?

I was never in my high school's marching band-probably because when I was in middle school I hit some annoying girl with my flute.
However I never really noticed the problem with most cheerleaders and the band, probably becuase a lot of the cheerleaders were in the band during off season stuff. Go figure.
My biggest problem was probably the whole idea with special-ed kids always being singled out in school, especially in the yearbooks where you could tell who was in regular classes and who wasn't and one of my friends took a lot of crap for that fact which really pissed me off because she'd always be assumed as the troublemaker.

[COLOR=purple]If I could be any kind of dog in the world
I think I wouild be one of those annoying little yappy dogs
That way when you're sitting there trying to sound all intelligent
I'd just be yapping and yapping and yapping
And there's nothing you could do about it
Because I live here![/COLOR] :laugh: