OtakuBoards

What is the best anime? (This should be interesting)

Kyo no Ryu

Everyone has their own oppinion. Everyone has there own reasoning. So what is your favorite anime? NO NO thats not the question. What is the best anime? I dont want know. ITs GoTTa Be INUYA-SHA!1! stuff. Right big long 5 line at least explanation then debate the reasoning. In the end we will finnaly know what is the best.

Im going with Rurouni Kenshin. It has stuff for everyone. Comedy, action, drama, just pick a DVD and set it in. Not to mention you learn quite a bit of Japanese history. It can be for little kids in the first series, teens in the second one, priests in the 3rd, its crazy. That is why I give Rurouni Kenshin my best spot though its tied for fav.

I would have to go with RahXephon. It's a gorgeously animated mecha series that at first glance seems very similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion--but is actually totally different.

Since I haven't seen all of Eva, I won't go so far as to claim that RahXephon is better. However, RahXephon definitely sets a new standard for anime in terms of character design and development. Despite its amazing action and well-thought-out plot, RahXephon is at heart a character-driven story. I simply can't say enough good things about it.

Also, this show has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. It's right up there with Boogiepop Phantom, Read or Die and Cowboy Bebop.

~Dagger~

ARE YOU KIDING! THE TENCHI SEIRESIS THE BEST! Because, it has comedy beoned comedy, it can be true to the heart, almost sad sometimes, etc.
I'm a girl, but if I were Tenchi, with all those girls, two fighting over 'me'! Oh boy! What else would you want! 1 girl can cook, clean, be a great friend. 2nd girl, fights with the 3rd girl for you. 4th girl, is a great scientist (Hello! Help with homework anyone!?). 5th girl, is cute and doofy. And the 6th girl comes in later, but, she's still pretty cute and nice.

WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!?

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

Well, as many of you know, my favorite anime are Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam (U.C.), Tenchi Sereis, and FLCL.

[B]Trigun:[/B] Has probably the best thought out story and character development I've ever seen in an anime and probably the coolest character design. The story alone makes up for the shows bad animation and sometimes corny exterior.

[B]Cowboy Bebop:[/B] Single handedly one of the best anime PERIOD. The characters are smooth and suave. They aren't flamoboyant, but realistic. The future setting actaully makes since and is very possible. And the animation and attention to detail is a close second to FLCL's own.

[B]Fooly Cooly:[/B] The best animated anime EVER! The funniest at that. I love the hidden story of a boy becoming a man and the wacky character design as well as having many insider jokes to the pre-set Otaku.

[B]Tenchi Series:[/B] Tenchi is the only bishounen anime I have ever liked. Tenchi is single handedly the first and greatest anime intergalactic PIMP! He has five gourgeos women who love him and he treats it like an annouyance. This is also the only anime where I HATED the main character. But my favorite thing about hte anime threw all the seduction and violence is this...... Granpa. Yes, you heard me, Grandpa. Simply because he is the smoothest old guy ever! He is like the Hugh Hefner of anime. Always having to 'Introduce' the girls to earth everytime they come. Hehehehe. Naughty Grandpa....

[B]Mobile Suit Gundam U.C. Saga:[/B] Not Gundam Wing, but Mobile Suit Gundam. The orgininal and BEST Gundam saga. The more militairy and realistic Gundam (which I can relate too.), the gundam that I love. It was the first anime that I was REALLY obsessed with. I have memorized MS numbers, names, and character affiliation. It is and forever will be my top anime.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I have to admit Tenchi is very good. I almost died laughing when that one gil said "are you a jewler?" Aw man... anyway, Dagger, thats an interesting choice. ive never seen that series but it sounds pretty good. Im surprised youve seen so many seies off CN...

Cowboy Bebop for sure...I just love the setting in a futuristic world where bounty hunters chase down wanted people flying through space...the way each episode is set up to different tastes and styles...the hidden storyline between Spike, Vicious, and Julia revealed piece by piece...the amazing music and choice of music in each episode...not to mention...the shocking ending that leaves you breathless everytime you watch it...

"................BANG..........."
-Spike...

Berserk....Gats anger makes it well worth the watch. The betryal of characters is amazing, the development of each character goes deep and much more.

Only downside I really see is....you have to read the manga because the anime left a blank ending.

The original Mobile Suit Gundam
Amoro(sp) just had a flare to him, he was such a young person striving for freedom, but trapped by war >_<

Cowboy Bebop
some of the best dubbing work possible so it's one of my favorites.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Hmm...*thinks really hard*

Even though I haven't watch it in SO long (Wow, it's been almost three years. I watched Eva straight through my Junior year of high school...), I'd have to say [b]Evangelion.[/b] The characters are great, the story is unique, and it really jerks the emotions. It can offend you, surprise you, scare you, and just have you on the edge of your seat. Not to mention the music and the animation is stunning.

Next, I'd have to say I LOVE [b]Fushigi Yugi.[/b] It was the first anime that I seriously started collecting because after buying the first volume, I fell in love. It took me almost two years, but I finally have the entire TV series! (All on VHS and Dubbed, but hey, I still love it). I loved Tamahome and Miaka's relationship because I'm a huge sucker for romance. And yes, there are flaws in the series, but it's still a good one and I highly recommend it.

And then there are others that I saw on CN that were decent, but yeah. And everyone needs to make it a point in their lives to watch [b]Sailor Moon[/b] uncut and subtitled! I promise you'll enjoy it![/color][/size]

Like many here, my favorite anime has got to be Cowboy Bebop. Even though the setting takes place in the future, it creates a feeling of real life you just have to respect. The characters are cool, the storyline is nice even though they get off track sometimes. Yoko Kanno is my favorite composer. She can create anything, like from classical to Heavy Metal and everything in between. Really, Cowboy Bebop is the best, period.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Eternal Otaku [/i]
[B]I have to admit Tenchi is very good. I almost died laughing when that one gil said "are you a jewler?" Aw man... anyway, Dagger, thats an interesting choice. ive never seen that series but it sounds pretty good. Im surprised youve seen so many seies off CN... [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I think I'll take that as a compliment.....

Out of all the Tenchi series, Tenchi Universe is probably my favorite, but the 13 episode OAV is also excellent. I watch Tenchi for its characters (well, Ryoko specifically) more than anything else. When you look at the show's other aspects (plot, animation, etc) it becomes clear that it's not particularly outstanding. And the fact that they never made Tenchi choose between Ryoko and Ayeka really infuriated me.

However, it can make for pretty enjoyable viewing.

~Dagger~

For me it would be evangelion *clapping of hands some shouting* because when I first saw it on dvd i said "wow this anime rocks" I said that because i like the drawings especially the three leading ladies there (rei, asuka and misato). With their beauty there is also an evidence that they also have brains and personality. And besides I envy shinji for having oo much beautiful girls. Take note: they live in one roof hehehe :)

I'd have to say .hack//sign every element or part of the series ties into the other anime, game, and manga...it would be really hard to pull that off not to mention the awsome music that they put into it, this is the anime you get when you try. but let's not forget the others like inu-yasha, FLCL, cowboy bebop, and all the other good animes out there, but I'd have to say .hack//sign

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue][I]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/I]. Aside from the fact that it's one of the very few anime shows that I can and have watched more than a hundred times in different languages while still enjoying it, it's a masterpiece all in itself. It's characters, unlike most anime shows, have several layers to their personalities that generally contradict one another... just like real people. Some viewers may think they're just messed up, but in reality, their deepest emotions and feelings are just like those of human beings, the difference being theirs are exposed. I'm seeing the same trait in [I].hack//SIGN[/I], but Evangelion has one step ahead of it by forcing characters to interact with each other while they're the most vulnerable, [I]constantly[/I].

The show is also filled with scenes that capture the complete attention of the audience, because its story is filled with heart-stopping moments and revelations. The apocalyptic setting the show's in sets the pace for each episode. Each new threat could mean the end of the world. While anime fans already know this concept, it is the characters and their relationships that make the viewer care for it all. And by characters, I also include the mecha. The mecha actually share a twisted bond not only with the pilots, but with some of the people that work on NERV, as well.

Then there's superb animation, artwork; excellent, excellent music, beautifully design EVAs, and the interesting references to religious literatures. Add Hideaki Anno's recreation of the end in End of Evangelion, and you have a series that you MUST watch. Whether you like it or not, it's something that you just have to experience.

The second anime I believe to be the best is [I]Trigun[/I], but I don't feel like adding to it, as I've posted in another thread why I think this series is so perfect, in my view.

Series that could have been the best, but fell short:

[i]Rurouni Kenshin[/i]: The series is excellent up to the end of the Shishio saga, then it all falls apart. The OAVs are heavy, intense and emotionally driven, my favorite being Reflection, but the fact that half the show is aimless in its structure and story eliminates its chance of being the best.

[i]Cowboy Bebop[/i]: While its approach of having a different story per episode makes it unique and interesting, it's also what prevents it from being truly emotive. While I was hurt at [spoiler]Spike dying[/spoiler], and completely interested in the main story, the plot only covered about five episodes. Great characters like Vicious only get a very limited amount of showing. The "filler" episodes are as great as they can be on their own, but their appeal begins with "Tank!" and ends with "The Real Folk Blues."

Series that COULD become the best:

[i]X/1999[/i]: I have the seven released DVDs, and this show is excellent. I can't see myself watching it all the time though, as there are some very strong moments that cause certain emotions that shouldn't be triggered continually. From what I've read, there are only three episodes left... not enough in my opinion to cram all that's coming up, so they may just blow it.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
[B][COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]

[B]Trigun:[/B] Has probably the best thought out story and character development I've ever seen in an anime and probably the coolest character design. The story alone makes up for the shows bad animation and sometimes corny exterior.

[B]Cowboy Bebop:[/B] Single handedly one of the best anime PERIOD. The characters are smooth and suave. They aren't flamoboyant, but realistic. The future setting actaully makes since and is very possible. And the animation and attention to detail is a close second to FLCL's own.

[B]Fooly Cooly:[/B] The best animated anime EVER! The funniest at that. I love the hidden story of a boy becoming a man and the wacky character design as well as having many insider jokes to the pre-set Otaku.
[/SIZE][/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

I have to agree with DBD fully! Except for me it goes:
1.cowboy bebop- see below
2. .hack/sign- crazy hot
3. trigun- funny, and yet is touchs all the human emotions
4. FLCL- comedy
5. boogiepop phantom- crazy S!@#! it will freak out your mind!

i love them all but cowboy bebop is diffently the best. The music, the plot, and character development is superb! And the dramatic sequences, fight scences, and the comedy is awesome. I love how the characters intertwine and mix togather.
I believe it is truely the greatest.

My favorite has been, and always will be Evangelion. Not only is the anime great as some people already explained (stole my thunder o_O), the opening theme, Cruel Angel Thesis, as well as the other songs related to the anime are all master pieces within itself. Its rare for an anime to be great and yet still have a good music to match it. This also goes for Cowboy Bebop, but for some reason I'm not as fond of it as Evangelion.

Second place on my list goes to Rurouni Kenshin, but I still have a few bones to pick with how they portrayed some characters derived from actual history, as well as the way history is portrayed itself. After all, the way the history is told in RK is the way the author of RK, Wazuki, decides to portray it. I like the action and all, but I won't go far enough to trust the history from his perspective.

My close match for second place is Gundam Seed. Awesome battle scenes, good story/plot, and the best part about it is the length. It does not end at 20 or 30 eps, but continues all the way up till eps. 50. Good series to keep you occupied for a while.

[font=arial]My favorite is, and has been since the first episode, .hack//SIGN. I love the story. It's really deep and mysterious, and pieces itself together as it advances. I love the characters' different personalities, and how they change throughout the series. It is truly amazing how ingenious some people can be. This series also has amazing music, which I have been listening to for the past month.

I also like Rurouni Kenshin second. The animation is very fluid, and you almost feel bad for the 'bad guys' because you can watch from their point of veiw. It changes the entire story.[/font]

Guest Yu Shu Lion
I have to say my favorite has to be Spirited Away. The fact it is beautifully animated with wonderfull story plott is what is worth seeing.

Heres my close second...

.hack//SIGN

Very thick plot that fills itself in SSLLOOWWWLLYY.... the only episode I didnt like was the review one. Overall I loved it. Sora always made me laugh. Silver Knight always made me wanna hurl... the guardian always makes things fun, and Crim makes you fall asleep. Overall I loved it. The last episode was just wow, the first pisode was funny, the episodes without Tsukasa were annoying and the songs ROCK. Overall, I loved it.

M7y third? Hm... most good series Ive only seen 3 or 4 episodes but I think Ill pick.... OH YEAH! A tie between Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop.

Yu Yu hakusho was very good. Ive heard many spoilers and cant wait to see them but Im angry that CN took it off right before the finals. It was good while it lasted.

Cowboy Bebop should really be number 1. If it werent for all these new fangle thing it might be. This practically introduced me too anime. This series is beutiful with great songs. I love it. It has plenty of action and lots of humor. I remember the old days waiting for the new CB and YYH. Oh man. I remember dying in anticipation at the last episode. I remember tears coming to my eyes as I watched the last episode. I remember saying it was very confusing since Id only seen like 9 episodes. Then I watched it again and....
here I am

[size=1] Three words for 'ya.

[size=5] Neon Genesis Evangelion.[/size]

-- This was probably the most recent anime I've watched, and it's beaten all my other favorites so far. Hideaki created a whole [i]new[/i] mecha design [even though the Evas aren't robots] with a leave from old-school an awesome design. ^_~ The anime also has good music, extremely good plot, complex characters, action, bit o' romance, dash of humor, and much angst. :toothy: Many animes have borrowed ideas off of this absolutely incredible anime, and more animes in the future probably will as well.

Anyways, what really caught my attention was the plot. It's far by extremely original and twisty, and there are still many question left to be answered. All the things inside Evangelion, if studied, would probably leave me with hundreds of connections to religion, culture, real life, etc. This anime went all the way. End of Evangelion gave me the impression of a gruesome fanwork, but it's still my favorite anime movie as well.

[b]Cowboy Bebop[/b] is an amazing little anime as well. The music is probably one of the best things about it that appeals to me. Jazz, blues, vocal, etc. It's really great. The animation and storyline are both very nicely done, and that last episode was killler.

[b]Gravitation[/b]. Probably the most underrated anime of all time since it focuses around a gay relationship. Tons of humor, ranging from slapstick, expressions, etc. Everything you can think of. The whole series runs at 13 episodes, but everything wraps up very nicely. It has its fair bit of angst as well, even though it may not seem like it. Well, anyways, it's in my Top Five.

[b].hack//sign[/b] is another good anime is my standards. The plot moved too slowly for my tastes, and some episodes bored me at time. Nonetheless, I give it credit for a great plot, good animation, and just a fun anime to watch. It was a bit confusing for me, but most good animes are. ^_~

Other animes:

Escaflowne
Rurouni Kenshin
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell [manga, rather than anime]
Card Captor Sakura
DN Angel [manga version]
Hellsing

[/size]

Well it seems NGE and Cowboy Bebop are quite popular. But what about shows youve only seen a little of?

X the series: I saw the first 4 episodes and it was pretty freakin sweet. Lots of blood, but not excessively. It was good. The first episode confused the living heck outa me. I liked it overall, the baseball gut was funny. But I had already seen the movie so i was fairly unimpressed.

s.CRY.ed: I saw the first 5 episodes and wow. Its a nice blend of action and humor, its got such little blood Its fun to watch. Its like CN good. I like it and hope to see more.

Generator Gawl: Ive seen the 1st 3 episodes and they are very good. i had heard about this and was able to get it for 6 bucks. Its EXTREMELY funny and has nice action. Its like Soultaker+Blu Gender+Tenchi Muyo.

Tnchi Muyo: Ive seen around 15 full episodes and lots of pieces. This show is hilariouse. I love it. Ryoko is coolest along with Ryo-Oki. I still cant get over the are you a jewler line from the first episode with hat blonde girl.

Ill post more later, I also have 1 more big favorite.

Inu-Yasha: How could i forget? When itcame out it went right up with YYH and CB. I ove the action and humor. Its just so cool. Sesshomaru rocks. Well, not much for now on this...

Later on Ill post the first anime I ever saw...

I guess I don't [u]one[/u] favorite anime. I do have some faves in different catagories though.:D

[b]Romance[/b] - [color=deeppink]Onegai Teacher[/color]. This is hands-down the best animated romace I have ever seen. The relationship between Kei and Mizuho is touching. This one takes the Romance award.

[b]Action[/b] - [color=red]Rurouni Kenshin[/color]. The show has fantastic action scenes, all the while immersing you in Japanese history. This isn't the best show I've seen, but It get's the Action award. The runner-up? DBZ. I know, I know, I'm supposed to hate it now. But the thing is, it [u]is[/u] one of the better action shows. While the plot and story are somewhat lacking, it does stick to the Action pretty well.

[b]Comedy[/b] - [color=orange]Furi Kuri[/color]. This show had me on the ground in fits of laughter. It has outright slap-stick, inside jokes from Gainax, and pokes fun at other shows. The animation is incredible, and constantly shifting (anyone see the South Park style? Classic.). This is the King of Comedy animes.

[b]Story[/b] - [color=purple] .hack//SIGN[/color]. This show's plot absolutely blew me away. My brother complains that it doens'nt have enough action, but I like that fact. It focuses on the characters and the plot, and does it [u]very[/u] well. I love the overall feel and mystery of this show. It snags the Story award.

Well, I guess that's about it for my favorites. But there are plenty others that I still enjoy. I understand that there are greats out there like Neon Genesis Evangelion, but sadly, I have yet to see them. I am sure, however, that once I see them they will quickly snag some of my awards.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Original [/i]

[b]Comedy[/b] - [color=orange]Furi Kuri[/color]. This show had me on the ground in fits of laughter. It has outright slap-stick, inside jokes from Gainax, and pokes fun at other shows. The animation is incredible, and constantly shifting (anyone see the South Park style? Classic.). This is the King of Comedy animes.
[/B][/QUOTE]

And how could I not list the short series that stole my heart?
FLCL
This is one HECK of a comedy. I saw so many jokes on other shows it wasnt even funny. If I were to list them my hand would go numb. This show was pure comedy with some AWESOME battle scenes. Kanti was da bomb. +The Pillows rock. I have even printed the lyrics to the ending theme. It just so cool. And I think I have them all recorded. ITS THE CLIMAX!!!

I'm gonna do this the way Original did

action:DBZ- ya i know its pretty lame now but it still holds up against many action series. The plot while sometimes repetitve was strong and the action was never slow(except for that good for nothing spirit bomb) And it had great emotional power. gohan vs. cell...epic

Drama:Cowboy Bebop- animation smooth action great drama awesome. This series had most of everything. the plot was great. it surrounded around one thing but they kept it interesting with little sifde stories. there was always a huge sense of mystery and that helped with the falsh back seens.

comedy: FLCL- I only saw one episode but from what I saw it kept me laughing. The switch from manga mode and stuff were great. Genuinly funny.

I dont have Romance or anything because I dont watch that stuff yet. over all I would say that out of the anime I've seen Cowboy Bebop topped them all but suprisingly I would say DBZ came in a close second.

[size=1] I don't really know what anime is the best...but I'll go with Inuyasha.
It has comedy, action, and romance and they're all good for me.
I don't know what else to say why I chose Inuyasha.
I have lots of favorite anime...

and they are:

Evangelion
Gundam
Rurouni Kenshin
Fushigi Yuugi
Vampire Princess Miyu
FLCL
Onegai Teacher
Cowboy Bebop
etcetera, etcetera.

I guess that's all or there's more.[/size]