OtakuBoards

What is the best anime? (This should be interesting)

Kyo no Ryu

Didnt anyone hear me say to talk about series you havent seen much of? Anyway I have more...

Soultaker: I only saw 3 episodes but dang were they ones to remember. The third and second ones were pure brilliance. The first was a bit boring. The theme song was just WOW. The first time I heard it I said "Oh my goly gee" LOL. Anyway yeah I think you get it.

Orphen: I saw the first three episodes and they were pretty good but it dindt really advance or show any action. I wanna see the next one though, I heard theyre better. The theme was pretty cool.

Dragon Ball GT: Much better than the other 2. This series was actually very good, well, the first 7 episodes. The story is thik and very fast paced, and the action scenes are fun. We also finally see new charachters.

Berserk: Ive only seen like 3 but the 1st is the only one bassically. It was pretty good but kind of annoying. It was a bit too dark for me. But I liked it nonetheless. Very bloody.

[size=1] Woah, woah, WOAH. I am not a fan of the Dragonball series, but I know one thing. GT looked pretty crappy next to DBZ and the original DB. I think DBZ and DB were made much better than GT, probably because Akira Toriyama didn't work on GT as the main director. That's my opinion, anyway.

As for X, I think the manga is a lot better than the anime.[/size]

[color=midnightblue]Hoo hoo... I love answering this question. I like different series for different reasons, though my favorite overall series is Neon Genesis Evangelion (I'll elaborate later on). So I'll be making a post about three anime I love for different aspects.

[b]Plot and Art-- .hack//SIGN[/b]
This is, actually, my first "Non-mainstream" anime. Despite its being on Cartoon Network, it never really took of and had a ton of merchandise following behind (I.E. good thing). The story did move along as slow as my old Windows 95 on a 56K modem, but once you got over the halfway point things certainly went very exciting (In a.. Non-actiony way.) and I found myself sobbing at the end of each episode, knowing I had to wait another week to find out what happened next time. It was so deep and original, it is probably #2 on my anime favorites list [i]period[/i]. The art is top-notch as well. The dub is pretty sweet too.

[b]Humor-- FLCL[/b]
When I first heard about this series my mind went as follows: "Ooh, Gainax! Ooh! Yoshiyuki Sadomoto! Ooh, it's coming to Cartoon Network!" I was very excited when it finally premiered, though it left me scratching my head until I saw it all the way through, then it made all the sense in the world. I believe this series even outs Excel Saga with some scenes, though I have only seen bits and pieces of the actual Excel Saga anime; Manga volumes 1 and two are all I own thus far. A lot of people say they like the dub, and I agree to a degree, but Mamimi's voice gets on my nerves. [i]BADLY.[/i]

[b]Overall (except for dub. Guh.)--[/b] Neon Genesis Evangelion
I recently spent all my money- $140 - on the box set, and I cannot say that I regret it in the least. The plot is so deep and intricate, its religious references are many in numbers and have made me want to find out more regarding my faith, and the characters are all non-stereotypical. Some of them do seem run-of-the-mill on the surface, i.e. Rei and the shy girl stereotype, Asuka being the crazy extroverted loud girl, and so on. Yet as the series progresses, we get to see why they are the way they are, and their many motivations for their being that way. Also, for 1995, the animation is unsurpassed, and could hold its own against current day ones, some may say, framerate-wise. End of Evangelion has also inspired me in plot and symbolism, so that I think my own manga series have many symbolic references in them as well now. The dub, however, definitely is the weakest point in the series. But that's what subtitles with Japanese voice tracks are for. Thank god for DVDs..

Well, that's about it, though other series that I like. Those are the top three, however. Evangelion being #1, .hack//SIGN being #2, and FLCL being #3.[/color]

I haven't seen Evangelion...so I can't comment on something I haven't seen, right?

My favorite anime that I've seen is definitely Cowboy Bebop. The plot is *gasp* fresh and original and is very well paced (screw you naysayers who don't like the filler episodes - they rule :p). The artwork is, likewise, amazing and flows together amazingly well.

The dub is, of course, fantastic and I'd go as far to say that this is easily [i]the best[/i] English dub I've ever had the pleasure of hearing (I don't have access to imports like you "purists"). The voice actors have great range and are actually able to convey emotion in each episode. What a concept!

And, of course, there is the music...Cowboy Bebop has the best musical score for an anime, bar none. [i]Bar none.[/i] The mixture of jazz, blues, rock, etc. is unlike anything I've ever heard in my life...the mishmash of different musical styles works surprisingly well within the context of the anime. I should be arrested because I don't own the soundtrack yet.

Lastly, I love the characters of Cowboy Bebop. What I love about it is that each and every character is well-developed even if they only appear in one episode. Spike, Jet, Faye, Vicious, et al are all beautifully and expertly developed...even the minor characters receive meticulous attention to detail. I love it.

So there ya go. Cowboy Bebop is easily the best of the few anime that I've seen.

[color=indigo]
My favorite anime ever is Slayers! I can't believe that no one's mentioned it yet! I mean, it has action, both regular sword fights and magical duels. It has romance, in many forms, though my favorite couple has gotta be Lina and Gourry- obvious, yet somehow really sweet. It's got drama, comedy, and adventure- anything an anime lover could hope for! And it's nice and long, so you don't each a conclusion too quickly (I usually hate short series).

A close second is Fushigi Yugi, which I still haven't finished because I can only see it on IC. This is also quite good, for many of the same reasons as listed above, but the romance was what probably hooked me. It's another obvious one, but the fact that it endures for so long is quite touching, and the bond between them is just so sweet. I also like the fact that it ties in the stars (big astrology fan), but that's just me.
[/color]

I thought this would have more...

Trigun: This series rocks. Its got nice action a cool story and humor to boot. I laughed, I cried, a said "oh DANG!", this was a truly great series. The last episode was close to Cowboy Bebop greatness. Like FLCL this was my temporary favorite anime. The theme song is also great.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Yu Shu Lion [/i]
[B]I have to say my favorite has to be Spirited Away. The fact it is beautifully animated with wonderfull story plott is what is worth seeing. [/B][/QUOTE]

I so agree with you! That and Princess Mononoke. Because their practicly from the same artist. They have a beautiful plot, beautiful art, and beautiful emotions for you to feel.

Guest SatooKoinu
I Love Inuyasha, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. Spirited Away is also good, but i haven't seen Princess Mononoke. FLCL is also another good one. even though i only got to see three of the episodes cause my cable was cut out for about a month or two....it wasn't a happy month....

Where the hell is Dragonball? And G-Gundam? Sure GT has been mentioned, but the people made a horrible choice not letting Toriyama do the plot. No other anime went for 600 episodes, and DB/Z pioneered the,"Why the hell did you kill off the main Character style" So many people die that most can litterally say,"I died like this first, this second..."

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Morpheus [/i]
[B]Where the hell is Dragonball? And G-Gundam? Sure GT has been mentioned, but the people made a horrible choice not letting Toriyama do the plot. No other anime went for 600 episodes, and DB/Z pioneered the,"Why the hell did you kill off the main Character style" So many people die that most can litterally say,"I died like this first, this second..." [/B][/QUOTE]

Er..... but how does that make DBZ the best anime?

Killing characters off doesn't exactly demonstrate originality. It's a pretty ancient story device, as a matter of fact. Haven't you read any Greek or Shakespearean tragedies? Do the words Romeo and Juliet ring a bell?

I suppose I've made my point. Anyway, I was surprised that only maladjusted has mentioned Vision of Escaflowne.... I was under the impression that it's incredibly popular, second only to Evangelion.

Oh, and mal, I've got a question for ya. I'd love to see X (the tv series), but would it be more worthwhile to read the manga? You said that the manga was better, and I was just wondering why. Thanks!

~Dagger~

Guest DeathWorks
[B]Where the hell is Dragonball? And G-Gundam? Sure GT has been mentioned, but the people made a horrible choice not letting Toriyama do the plot. No other anime went for 600 episodes, and DB/Z pioneered the,"Why the hell did you kill off the main Character style" So many people die that most can litterally say,"I died like this first, this second..." [/B][/QUOTE]

To me Dragonball and G-Gundam are utter crap.
There are better anime out there...(people really need to turn off cartoon network)buy Dvds and get fansubs.(Naruto!)
Dragonball/z isn't the greatest of all time.
And the gundam shows that cartoon network is showing is a damn shame I mean come on Chibi gundams that talk?
*shiver*

Note:Not all anime that cn shows are are bad the ones I like are Trigun,and Inuyasha.....well thats all.. lol

The best anime is......Sailor Moon. I hated to admit it but Sailor Moon is by far better then most animes out there and that scares me. Sailor Moon has it all comedy, action, romance, and that quality that makes it special. It appeals to both males and females. The boys watch it because the characters are cute and the girls watch it because of the passion and romance. Sailor Moon has lasted for a decade and has been around for so long it is one of the oldest animes of all time only being beaten out by the Dragon Ball series and Gundam. Someone must have been watching it for it to have lasted so long and I admit that I was a big fan........well not really a big fan but a fan never the least.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Yes, but the same storyline was repeated over and over again for an unoriginal idea. Goku would fight, get hurt, eat beans, and then continue on as if nothing ever happened. Five minutes on the show would be the equivilant of 5 episodes running at 25 minutes each. The character designs were ugly and the backgrounds were awful. The action was lacking since it was just the same predictable thing happening over and over again.

The only thing that DBZ has going for it is that it helped people to find out what anime is and then to expand and find new, better series. The sad thing is that it had to be such a crappy series as DBZ.[/color][/size]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1[/i]
[b]Oh, and mal, I've got a question for ya. I'd love to see X (the tv series), but would it be more worthwhile to read the manga? You said that the manga was better, and I was just wondering why. Thanks![/b][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I can answer that for her.

I recommend a manga series over an anime series anyday. Sure, you don't get the music, the colors, or the voices. But the plots are richer and the artwork is amazingly beautiful. I wish you would read the X manga before watching the TV series. It's WONDERFUL, as is most everything else put out by CLAMP.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Isus [/i]
[B]wow, so many to choose from, can you really choose? for me its-
cowboy bebop
inuyasha
rurouni kenshin
.hack//sign
tenchi
slayers
trigun
in other words any japanese anime with one huge exception of kikaider. [/B][/QUOTE]

Any anime except Kikaider can qualify as the best? That encompasses quite a wide range, my friend. ^_^;;

In my opinion, Voices of a Distant Star (a half-hour long OAV) is the single greatest love story ever animated. It seems even more remarkable when you consider the fact that it was scripted, drawn, and put together by one man. Independent films are pretty rare in anime, and VoaD is a true gem. Its action is as slick and gorgeous as that of any big-budget movie, and its scenery has to be seen (no pun intended) to be believed.

~Dagger~

Guest BlazingYusuke
U all go ahead and think what u want to think.
The best anime ever on this pittful world is YUYU HAKUSHO, it has everything that an anime should. Action is top on my list, then blood and volence.
There are other good anime that i love they are:
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Gundum Wing
Escaflowne
DBZ
Rurouni Kenshin
Kikaider

I LOVE U JUSTIN COOK!!!!!

I love Yu Yu Hakusho, and it's definitely among my favorite series.

But likeable though it is, I don't think it's the best anime ever. YYH may have its moments of darkness, but for the most part, it's a light-hearted, fun-filled romp. It's not exactly profound, despite the fact that the characters [i]are[/i] very well developed.

One simply can't compare Yu Yu Hakusho to series such as Evangelion. It's not fair; they're in entirely different leagues. When you look at the other shows which try to incorporate tournament-style fighting, old-school animation, and perfectly timed humor, YYH is certainly outclasses them all.

But it's not the [i]best[/i] anime, and that's an important distinction.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BlazingYusuke [/i]
[B]U all go ahead and think what u want to think.
The best anime ever on this pittful world is YUYU HAKUSHO, it has everything that an anime should. Action is top on my list, then blood and volence.
There are other good anime that i love they are:
Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Gundum Wing
Escaflowne
DBZ
Rurouni Kenshin
Kikaider

I LOVE U JUSTIN COOK!!!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Next time, please tell WHY they are your favorites and clean up your post quality. Thank you.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by maladjusted [/i]
[B][size=1] Woah, woah, WOAH. I am not a fan of the Dragonball series, but I know one thing. GT looked pretty crappy next to DBZ and the original DB. I think DBZ and DB were made much better than GT, probably because Akira Toriyama didn't work on GT as the main director. That's my opinion, anyway.
size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[font=arial][color=deeppink]

Amen to that, mal. I nearly cried when I saw what they did to DB/Z. It was my first anime 'love' and despite it's shortcomings, I still enjoy it.

As for favorite...ayee...there are so many! I guess for my first pic will have to be a little old school:

Ronin Warriors. Old animation? Yes. But it rocked my socks. I loved the characters. Their personalities were portrayed so well...and it was so intresting to see them clash, and watch the characters have to make such difficult choices. Yea, I'm all about character development. You've got that, you have me hooked. I can't stand flat characters. And the plotline was so original, especially at the time. It was just like...whoa. This is so cool. ^-~ Aya...I miss the RW RPG's...c'est la vie.

Gundam Wing: What can I say? Lots and lots. ^-^ This is another one that just blew me away. Not only was the animation good, the characters...wow...Once again, the characters are what got me completely and totally hooked. They were so multilevel...and the nature of the plot really brought out the extremes. I love that. When the characters are driven to extremes. Especially how each of them deals with the 'sins' on their hands. It's just so...great...and yes, I know the whole 'gundam' thing has been overdone, but Gundam Wing is still the best in my opinion.

Fruits Basket: Cute cute cute! Great animation, completly unique plotline, and once again, amazing characters. Like most romantic comedies, the story focuses completly on the characters, versus plotline, etc. However, they managed to have a great plotline too! And meh...the characters were just...too lovely. And the romance factor...aya....* all watch as Karmi melts... *

There are more that plain old rocked my socks as well, but these are my favorites (as of right now.) And I have yet to see Evengelion *tear* so I guess I'm undecided as far as that goes. Does anyone know how long the series is and how much (roughly) the box set would cost? I'd be ever grateful...=)

And there's my tidbit. Cy'all!

[i]-Karma[/i]
[/color][/font]