OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy III/VI Question (Spoilers afoot)

Ninjaman

This is just something I've never really been able to get. Who is Shadow? I've seen the flashbacks he gets when you go to an inn with him in your party and when you rescue him from the cave at the Veldt. It seems to me that Shadow has some type of connection to Relm.

From the flashback we see when you rescue him from the cave at Veldt, we see Shadow leaving Relm and Strago's house at Thamasa with Interceptor. Note that before he leaves, Shadow tells Interceptor to "stay with the girl." My bet that this girl is Relm. This and the next paragraph might explain why Interceptor is so close to Relm.

Now the very last flashback you see when you go to an inn with Shadow, we see Shadow entering Thamasa, injured, and a dog, most likely Interceptor, noticing him. The dog gets a woman, his owner, and the flashback ends there with the woman telling Shadow to hang on.

Another thing I've also noticed a connection between Shadow and Relm. One particular relic, the Memento Ring, can be equipped by both of them and the description for the relic is a bit intriguing. The description says that the ring protects with a mother's love, or something similar to that. Note how Relm comes equipped with it.

My theory is that Shadow is the father of Relm. The woman we see save Shadow must be the mother. Obviously the two fell in love and little Relm was born later on. The mother must have died when Relm was pretty young and Shadow took off or Shadow just took off. So do you guys think this theory is true or does anyone have different theories?

I agree that Shadow is Relm's father.

As for your question on who is Shadow, here's an anwer:

Shadow's real name is Clyde Arrowny and he was a train robber with his close friend Baram. After a screw-up during a robberry Baram was near-death and he asked Clyde to kill him to end his suffering. Clyde didnt do it and left him to die. Eveuntaully he ends up in Thamasa where he is saved by a women and her dog, Interceptor. They fall in love and have a daughter named Relm. After Relm's mother passes away Clyde feels that his isnt suited to be a father and leaves with Interceptor following him. Clyde eventually becomes Shadow, the great ninja assassin.

Also you missed out another clue on if Shadow is Relm's father. If you leave before waiting for him on the floating continent in the world of balance, you can get Relm and you can get a flashback dream of her in Strago's house asking if 'he' is coming back. As she was asking the question, Interceptor leaves the house.

So Relm asking about 'he' is about Shadow and Inteceptor leaving the house is to get Shadow but evntually follows him.

Anyways, yes, I do agree with you about Shadow being Relm's father.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The (Sic) Shape [/i]
[B]
Also you missed out another clue on if Shadow is Relm's father. If you leave before waiting for him on the floating continent in the world of balance, you can get Relm and you can get a flashback dream of her in Strago's house asking if 'he' is coming back. As she was asking the question, Interceptor leaves the house.

So Relm asking about 'he' is about Shadow and Inteceptor leaving the house is to get Shadow but evntually follows him.[/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, I only got that flashback once out of all the times I played the game and that was long time ago. I've always saved Shadow on the Floating Continent, except that one time, so I completely forgot about that flashback.

Thanks for the reminder. ^_^

I don't think there is much more to add to this... However, I know someone will come up and say "Shadow is a female!!!" because of some text later in the game.

The supposed official reason behind this was because that originally Shadow simply wasn't meant to survive that long in the game. I guess they had the text in place for Relm, and once they changed their mind about Shadow it was never adjusted. Makes sense to me. A lot of RPGs back then didn't change text like that based on decisions for some reason. I can think of several offhand.

There is also a slightly different ending if you get to see all of Shadow's dreams (which you randomly get by sleeping in towns). Personally, I've never done this... so I don't know if it adds anything to your opinions on this.

Seems viable to me, though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]I don't think there is much more to add to this... However, I know someone will come up and say "Shadow is a female!!!" because of some text later in the game.[/B][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo]Heheh, I got some people pretty good with a screen shot of that a while ago. People were talking about how there never seems to be more than three playable female characters in FF games, so I just had to post it. If it were true, there'd be four female characters in FFVI, after all. :whoops:[/color]