OtakuBoards

Dead Poets Society & Robin Williams

Mimmsicle

[color=chocolate]I found no thread on this gorgeous movie, so I posted one myself. hope that's alright ?

many moons ago I saw Dead Poets Society for the first time, and recently I was able to add it to my growing collections of personal classics. the many themes of the movie makes it appeal to a broad mass, I think. For those who have not seen it follows a brief summary:

[color=black][i]a group of boys in a strict school are encouraged by their new english teacher to break the code of rules that imprisones them, to broaden their horizon and question the mould in which they are thrown into. with poetry and unconventional teaching methods he shows them a world they only dare to dream about. but when some of the boys revive [b]"the Dead Poets Society"[/b] and try to relize their newly found awakenig, they take things one step too far. needless to say things turn grim and the young men are forced to take a stand and decide where to take his life from here on forward.[/i][/color]

[SIZE=1](I am not the best in giving brief introductions, so I'm basically saying: rent the movie and I'll guarantee you won't regret it.)[/SIZE]

the troubled Neil and his struggles to break free from the chains of conformity is so beautifully played by Robert Sean Leonard and directed to close perfection by Peter Weir. [i]all[/i] the actors gave brilliant performances in my book, even Robin Williams [SIZE=1](whom it's very unusual to see soo toned down, unless you've seen "What dreams may come", but that's a different story all together)[/SIZE] . you can sit for hours after watching the movie, contemplating how things could've been different [i]"if only..."[/i].

my love for poetry was born from this movie. I learned not to only appreciate the classics, but to embrace all forms of artistic expression. Charlie's poem accompanied by the sax gives me goosebumps. :cross:

there are many aspects of this movie to be talked about, so I invite you all to join me.

- Mimmi[/color]

[color=chocolate] I haven't been able to bring myself to watch beyond the midsummernights-play, I'm slowly working myself up to it :)
[spoiler] the scene where Neil prepares for the suicide is so chilling and performed, directed, and shot to perfection *shivers*
it's difficult to say if that could've been avoided (the suicide) and who's fault it really was that it came to such an abrupt act. the father ? teh school? life?[/spoiler]
glad to hear that someone else has enjoyed this [SIZE=1](in my humble opinion)[/SIZE] classic movie!

- Mimmi[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]We watched this movie my Junior year of high school, so I don't remember alot of the details except that my entire class loved the movie. We would all go around saying "Oh captain, my captain" to our teacher, Mrs. Murphy, who is a great teacher. She's actually here at UGA now with me. ^_^

Anywho, I think that the [spoiler]suicide is his father's fault.[/spoiler] *Shrugs*[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][spoiler]Anywho, I think that the suicide is his father's fault. *Shrugs* [/QUOTE]

I agree completely that Neils' father gave him the last push. however it can be argued that many were to [i]blame[/i]:
the school and it's suffocating attitudes and rules of conformity. [SIZE=1](hear! hear!)[/SIZE]
Keating for going against the above mentioned [SIZE=1](which I don't feel is a valid reason for blame, but still can be named for argues sake)[/SIZE]
Neil himself for backing down and not going through with his rebellion [SIZE=1](but then how could he? and if he [i]had[/i] stood up til the bitter end and beyond, then what?)[/SIZE]
[/spoiler]

[color=chocolate]- Mimmi[/color]

This was a deeply moving, yet depressingly chilling movie. I have to say, that it was one of Robin Williams' best performances. (then again, he is a wonderful actor. The only thing that kept Disney's "Flubber" from completely flopping was his acting.)
I saw The Dead Poets' Society when I was pretty young, so the scene you guys have been talking about had a pretty dramatic effect on me. *shivers*

[color=crimson]I wish I owned this movie. Mabye Blockbuster won't miss their copy.

I love it. I have watched it on several occasions, and it just seems to never get old. Robin Williams has such a wide range when acting, it is really wonderful.

[spoiler]Of course it was the father's fault, lol. Even if it was the last push, it was still a push.[/spoiler][/color]

[QUOTE][spoiler]Of course it was the father's fault, lol. Even if it was the last push, it was still a push.[/spoiler][/quote]
[color=firebrick]agree, agree, agree. I doubt anyone feels differently, though if they do it would be interesting to hear their arguments... even if I would discard it immediately :cross:

on the dvd there's a part where [/color][spoiler]the actor who plays Neils' dad[/spoiler] [color=firebrick]talks about his character and gives his side to what goes on in [/color][spoiler]Mr Perry's[/spoiler][color=firebrick] mind and why he does things the way he does them. I've never seen it from the point of view he offers. it doesn't change the way I feel about the outcome, but it was interesting.

- Mimmi[/color]

[COLOR=chocolate]Thanks Maniac for letting me post about Robin Williams in general as well in here :)
I'm just gonna shortly say something about "What Dreams may come":

[color=indigo][B]"What dreams may come"[/b] is such an aestheticly gorgeous movie and it's so nice seeing the theme in it tweaked in a slightly different way.
The movie is like a piece of art, a beautiful painting that you can look at for hours. ^_^
Robin Williams tones down his otherwise so explosive acting, into a subtle and painful portray of his character Chris.
Annabella Sciora masters her part as Annie. One can [i]see[/i] the emptiness in her eyes. [/color]

[spoiler]one scene that hit me the most is where Chris finally finds Annie. She's drowning in a sea of despair and loss [SIZE=1](okay, it's a bunch of faces, but you get what I'm saying)[/SIZE]. It's a painful depiction of how it feels, I think, when you've lost and given up on yourself and everything else that ever mattered to you.[/spoiler]

Feel free to think differently :)

- Mimmi[/color]

[color=darkblue]You're not allowed to double-post (posting two replies in a row), so I combined your two posts into one.
--Manic[/color]

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mimmi [/i]
[B][color=chocolate]I found no thread on this gorgeous movie, so I posted one myself. hope that's alright ?

many moons ago I saw Dead Poets Society for the first time, and recently I was able to add it to my growing collections of personal classics. the many themes of the movie makes it appeal to a broad mass, I think. For those who have not seen it follows a brief summary:
[/QUOTE]

I cannot express in words how much I detest this movie.... I, myself, having gone to boarding school found it incredibly... **** I can't think of the word. Regardless, I hate it.

[QUOTE]I, myself, having gone to boarding school found it incredibly... **** I can't think of the word. [/QUOTE] [color=chocolate]
do you hate it because it doesn't make an accurate translation of how life in boarding schools are really like? it would help me understand your point of view, rather than [color=black]"Regardless, I hate it."[/color]
I respect your opinion, I'd just like to understand how you formed it.

[color=firebrick]life can sometimes imitate pictures, but pictures can never imitate life....[/color]

- Mimmi[/color]

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mimmi [/i]
[B][color=chocolate]
do you hate it because it doesn't make an accurate translation of how life in boarding schools are really like? it would help me understand your point of view, rather than [color=black]"Regardless, I hate it."[/color]
I respect your opinion, I'd just like to understand how you formed it.

[color=firebrick]life can sometimes imitate pictures, but pictures can never imitate life....[/color]

- Mimmi[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess I disagree with the way it depicts life at a boarding school. I think it overdramatizes it and the story is just kind of hokey to me. Perhaps the movie just struck a nerve with me that I really can't explain.

[QUOTE]I guess I disagree with the way it depicts life at a boarding school. I think it overdramatizes it and the story is just kind of hokey to me. Perhaps the movie just struck a nerve with me that I really can't explain.[/QUOTE] [color=chocolate]
Thank you for explaining further your dislike of the movie. now I see more clearly where you're coming from.
I'd probably feel the same if a part of my life was dramatized into a movie. it can never be the same thing.

it's impossible to depict life in that artform, even "documentaries" can never be the real thing ...

- Mimmi[/color]

[size=1] I thought it was a mostly average movie...the only thing that made it good was its main arc was on that of poetry.

The suicide was stupid...and felt contrived and unneeded--you could just see it coming, and when it happened, you just ended up feeling stupid that the kid had taken his life.

[spoiler]I do think that his Father did drive him to suicide...but it didn't fit into his character. It also just didn't mean as much as anything...because that just didn't feel like his character. I also think his father was not the one mainly that drove him to suicide. It was himself. No one else. He was the one that overreacted and killed himself over something utterly not worth it. So in the end...his suicide was just really drawn out and a useless aspect of the movie to me.[/spoiler]

It was cute in parts...but Robin Williams was the only plus factor for this movie. Otherwise it was mostly just average...maybe a little above. It was nothing that I hadn't seen, and none of its lackluster, linear story appealed to me at all.

It was definitely a nice ride, but it ended as soon as it began...and just doesn't measure up to movies that should and are considered great.[/size]

[QUOTE]The suicide was stupid...and felt contrived and unneeded[/QUOTE][color=chocolate]I thought it was fitting to the part. Neil never really took responsibility for wanting to persue his dreams and so suicide was the only way he could go. he didn't want his life mapped out, but he lacked the "courage" to take a different route. [SIZE=1]and lets not forget that Neil was a sucker for drama[/size] :rolleyes:

it also sets the mood for when the others are faced with the headmaster and parents. not only do they feel like they're betraying Keating, but also their friend.

I'm interested in any ideas you might have as to what would've made the movie better if Neil hadn't said nightie-night. or had you lost interest by that point and felt nothing could save it ?
I'd also love to hear suggestions that has the kind of theme or feel as this movie, but are [SIZE=1](in your opinion)[/size] greater than DPS.

- Mimmi[/color]