OtakuBoards

What's your style?

Dragonettie

Hello everyone.
I'm asking all of you, do you know a style of martial art?
If so, then where did you learn it, and how long have you been a practitioner?
I currently study Choy Le Fut kung-fu though I'm skilled at many others.I started learning about two years ago from an instructional video series. Its a great style and is concidered to be one of the most powerful styles.
So I'm asking you, "Whats your style".:D

I took Kenpo (Kempo, w/e) a couple years ago. I didn't like it that much, since we never really did anything except do pushups and blocking forms. For a year and a half straight. So I quit. I wanna take some kind of sword style though. Bushido *thumbs up*

I do Kendo (Japanese sword martial arts)... currently a rank away from Dan (black belt). Its pretty hard since you have to control the sword as a part of your own body, which takes some time to get used to. And even before you get to touch the sword, theres the whole respect to master, peer, correct way to bow to the masters and the dojo, etc. etc. Putting on the actual armor is usually a year or two after you begin -_- sigh... 7 years and still not blackbelt...

Eh. Damnit. i do Martial Arts, but we don't generally call it it's correct name. I can't remember what it is called. I asked my teacher about it last week. G something? I don't know. it is quite fun anyway. It is a mix of what he has learnt: Jujutsu and some other thing. he is a fifth dan. I am currently at Green belt out of,:
White, yellow, 2 oranges, green, blue, 5 browns, 5 blacks.

It is ok, but not that far. My class isn't strict though. It is quite relaxed. Probably because he can't afford to lose all the people that wouldn't come if it was strict, especially in this small town.

Cool. Theres alot of martial artists out there. I see a lot of Tai Kwan Do practitioners. Which is cool I love Tai Kwan Do. I'm a fan of Chinese martial arts myself. Kenpo is a great art as well. I had a friend who was like a 3rd dan black belt in Kenpo. He taught me some useful stuff.I'd love to study Kendo too. That seems like a cool style.
Martial arts is a very important skill to learn, it not only teaches you self-defence but it also teaches you respet and disipline. And it gives you confidence not in just battle but in any confrintation. I think that if everyone in the world learned at least one martial art then the world would be a better place. Who knows ? ^_^

[font=arial][color=deeppink]
I've been a student of Shaolin Kempo(Kenpo) Karate for almost 2 years now. I love doing it, it's a great way to relieve all the tensions of the day, and completly forget about everything else. Of course...half the time it's because you're in PAIN but hey! It's all good. I've also been praticing Wu Shu (it's like a show form of Kung Fu) for 1 and 1/2 years. I must say, Wu Shu is my favorite. When you watch someone who can [i]really[/i] do it well, it's absolutely beautiful. My goal is to be able to do the forms as beautifully as my karate sensei can. It's just so gorgeous. I'd like to draw an anime character doing one entire form...it would probably take a real long time though.

Aya...I think I've ranted enough on this. TTFN!

[i]-Karma[/i]
[/color][/font]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Metatron [/i]
[B]I do Kendo (Japanese sword martial arts)... currently a rank away from Dan (black belt). Its pretty hard since you have to control the sword as a part of your own body, which takes some time to get used to. And even before you get to touch the sword, theres the whole respect to master, peer, correct way to bow to the masters and the dojo, etc. etc. Putting on the actual armor is usually a year or two after you begin -_- sigh... 7 years and still not blackbelt... [/B][/QUOTE]

there was a note on the messageboard at school the other day, to get a free 'get to know' Kendo lesson. I really wanted to go, but then i saw that the lesson had taken place 3 weeks earlier... damnit.
but at least now i know there is a kendo 'club' in my town, so i might join em...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Otogi-san [/i]
[B]Metatron, do they "issue" you your own shinai's? I have one that I got from my Japanese friend that takes kendo. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well... you have to buy them... you also have to buy your own 'bokuto' (wooden swords), which are used for doing forms and stuff. They're $20 in my dojo, but I know the good ones cost much more. However, my allowance is low so I need to keep repairing dead swords and use them gingerly and delicately to avoid having it broken.... (which is hard as hell when you're fighting a master...)

Lol. I love Vash's Girl's style. You should name it somthing, like Shin Kick-fu or The Fleeing Shin Kick style. I would study that. We've got some more Kendo fans out there and some more Tai Kwan Do and Kenpo practitioners aswell. We even have a Wu Shu practitioner. Excelent. I love exotic styles. Like Dim Mak and Capoira. Its hard to find schools or even people who've learned from a school to teach you the style. I wish to learn as many styles as posible from anyone who will teach me. This will lead me to the path of true martial rightiousness. Plus it gives me somthing to do. So who else out there is a practitioner of a martial art? We'd love to hear from you.
Be cool.