OtakuBoards

Recomend something...

Dragonstar

:D OK, I actually have job now, and I'll soon be getting a debit card so I'll be able to buy stuff online.

I want to try a new anime, I don't just want missed episodes of an anime I've already seen, I want something totally new.

Obviously, you guys know your anime, so I was wondering if you guys could recomend anything.

I'm thinking of .Hack//sign what do you guys think..?

Bear in mind, I'll watch anything. Be it sub, sub, X rated or aimed at twelve year olds. I even like the crappy FUNI DBZ dub and the Cardcaptors dub, (yup, even the theme tune) :D

You'll watch anything, eh?

Well, here are my recommendations.

1) Read or Die: A beautifully animated, three-episode OAV. RoD is actually the most expensive OAV ever made, and it really shows. The plot is cute and quirky, the characters likeable, and the action truly breathtaking.

2) Shamanic Princess: It's hard to go wrong with a show whose character designs were done by a member of CLAMP, and whose director also worked on Outlaw Star. SP also has terrific graphics. Though it's very shoujo-esque, it has a unique gothic look and fantastical storyline which make it unlike any other "magical girl" series. Plus, at six episodes, it's very cheap.

3) The Vampire Princess Miyu OAV: Ignore the craptacular TV series. This four-episode OAV is stylish, dark, and the ultimate in anime horror. It presents a different take on the traditional anime vampire (as seen in Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D). Despite the fact that it was made in 1988, the animation and atmosphere are still beautiful and chilling.

~Dagger~

Yeah, I would recommend more things that have not been aired on TV, because those are the shows that were too expensive to get licensed and therefore are usually good - or they might be too bad, haha. [url=http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/index.asp?f=&c=all&s=1&pg=1]ADV Films[/url] has a nice variety of anime series, and they seem to work closely with Anime on Demand programming, so I suggest starting from there, reading synopses, and figuring out what fits your fancy.

Yes. Most ADV series are excellent (Full Metal Panic, RahXephon, Boogiepop Phantom, and Excel Saga, to name a few). And like AzureWolf said, they have shows in just about every genre.... very nicely packaged, too, I might add. I just about cried for joy when I bought the first RahXephon DVD and saw that it contained a nice plump booklet complete with character profiles and seiyuu interviews.

Plus, ADV dubbing is generally quite decent.

~Dagger~

ADV is my favorite. I own quite a few of there DVDs. I recommend Rave Master. Plety of action and funky humor. Its also a prety nice developing plot with a nice author. Another goody is FLCL. That is the crazyiest anime ever. If you check out certain sites you can find the plot but other wise woah. Its also got great action scenes.

If you haven't already seen it, watch Trigun. It's got a bit of everything, action, comedy, drama, rolled into one. It has the ability to go from funny to dramatic and back in an instant, and I consider that one of its greatest strenghts. If you're looking for light-hearted adventures, watch the first few episodes. If you want dark, serious, drama, watch the last few episodes.

Well, this one's tough. My pics would be:

1) Neon Genesis Evangelion if you haven't seen it
2) .Hack//Sign-Beautiful anime with kick *** soundtrack
3) Hand Maid May- only 11 episodes but very very funny and ecchi
4) Read or Die - Excelence
5) Macross Plus - One of the best I've seen
6) Oh My Goddess - Romantic comedy. Great, period
7) Armitage III - Great cyberpunk OVA

I've seen and own others, but I'm not going to list them all. I guess these onea are pretty good to check out.

Hope I could help.

In the case of anime titles you may want to see, try Ghost in the Shell, its a great science fiction type of anime movie with a hot android girl who gets naked from time to time^_^ Also, you may want to try ninja scroll, its a kind of an action-fantasy with master sword fighters, demons and the like. If you want something less serious, yeah you should try Hand maid may, Chobits(these two are rather similar in a sense that the female character is a android doll^_^ ), Ah my goddess, Or neon Genesis Evangelion like [B]Ani-Freak[/B] suggested. Of these, I'd say Evangelion is probably the easiest to get ahold of, meaning it is most popular. You may also want to try out Rurouni Kenshin (Sword fighting action^_^), Escaflowne, Great Teacher Onizuka, or Inu-Yasha.

In short, there are so much anime out there, you wouldn't have difficulty finding good ones worth your money and then some^_^

You may also want to try Manga, such as .hack//Legend of Twilight, Love Hina (if you like watching a guy get into all sorts of trouble usually involving either exams, or perverted situations, but this manga also has comedic/serious love stuff).

I could go on and on about this, but I think you should just go watch some anime and read manga instead of this text here^_^

If you are looking for something a little less mainstream, check out Haibane Renmei. It was done by the mastermind of Lain, but is a lot easier to follow. There is not really any action in it, but its really a great story (very emotional and cute). If I had to compare it to something I would compare it to KiKi's delivery service. The design is cool and the characters are very human.

It might be hard to find, but I rented it at a comic store that specialized in anime.

Oh, and anything by Miyazaki is good enough to be worth owning.

:D O_o Wahhh, so much anime, Everytime I come on line I hear about a new anime... I'm definitly gonna try Inu-yasha sometime, as I have a friend who's obsessed with it. (Well, OK, Miroku)

I probably wouldn't be able to get Ghost in the Shell, since I believe that has an 18 rating. So I'll have to wait 4 months, and most peole think I'm twleve anyway.

I've heard a lot of good thing s about Escaflowne and the tiny amount I've heard about Rourouni Kenshin has been good, (plus the characters look cool, always a plus)

Oh My Godess looks really good, but It'll be hard to find here in Manchester.

From what I've heard of FLCL, I wouldn't want my mum to walk in while I was watching it... lol

I know little to nothing about Trigun

I've never even heard of anything else you've mentioned... :D

For definite I'm getting .Hack and Inu-yasha.

How do you plan on "getting" Inuyasha? It has like 110 episodes or something ... and more keep coming out (from what I understand, at least). I'm just interested, as I do want to watch this series from the beginning myself, but can't figure out any non-wallet-breaking practical way to do it :p.

terra raises an excellent good point, Dragonstar. I bought the first five Inuyasha DVDs before realizing that (a) it's still showing on CN, and (b) no series, particularly one that's as-yet-unfinished, is worth such inordinate amounts of money.

If you want it, though, go ahead and get it. Inuyasha is a very cute show, and I'm sure you'll like it. ^__^

Oh My Goddess! may be difficult to locate in Manchester, but that's what Amazon.com and other online retailers are for. Never let an anime's relative rareness discourage you from hunting it down and/or buying it. Some of the best shows are sleeper hits.

~Dagger~

One show you HAVE to watch is Fruits Basket...it is soo good even tho there isnt much action its so incredibly funny...also Kare kano is very funny too...if you like something with humor, bishounen and mystery get Descendents of Darkness its only about 13 epi. so its cheap and also for fruits basket it has 6-7 epis per dvd its one of THE best deals out there

.hack//SIGN is a wonderful anime, you just need to be able to understand it. It can be quite confusing at certain points.
I would also recommend Fushigi Yugi, the manga. It's really, really, really good and really, really funny. I haven't seen the anime yet (although there's videos), but I've heard it's good.
Just try certain things. If you like humor, go for Fushigi Yugi. If you like demons, myths, fights, and lite humor, go for Inuyasha. Animes come in different varieties, so just try some. Internet's good for research. ^_~

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Verykawaiineko [/i]
[B]if you like something with humor, bishounen and mystery get Descendents of Darkness its only about 13 epi. so its cheap and also for fruits basket it has 6-7 epis per dvd its one of THE best deals out there [/B][/QUOTE]

Descendants of Darkness (also known as Yami no Matsuei) is an excellent series, but it's definitely not for everyone. Though nothing explicit is ever shown, and the male/male relationships are more implied than overtly stated, DoD is extremely popular on the shonen-ai circuit. It abounds with all sorts of unnecessary touching, and every single one of the principle characters is male. That having been said, I love this show. Some, however, might be less comfortable with certain aspects of its subject material.

I've heard that Fruits Basket is possibly the best romantic comedy out there (even better than Kare Kano). And like you said, it [i]is[/i] extremely cheap. So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend FB, even though I've never actually gotten around to watching it.

~Dagger~

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]Descendants of Darkness (also known as Yami no Matsuei) is definitely not for anyone. Though nothing explicit is ever shown, and the male/male relationships are more implied than overtly stated, DoD is extremely popular on the shonen-ai circuit. It abounds with all sorts of unnecessary touching, and every single one of the principle characters is male. I, however, might be less comfortable with certain aspects of its subject material.
~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but do you find two males having a romantic/sexual relationship a degrading/disgusting/dispicable thing? I think it is a beautiful site to behold in anime. I especially enjoy watching two females in a relationship together :naughty:

Does it seem to everyone else that Japan is more open to the subject of homosexuality than America is?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]I'm sorry but do you find two males having a romantic/sexual relationship a degrading/disgusting/dispicable thing? I think it is a beautiful site to behold in anime. I especially enjoy watching two females in a relationship together :naughty:

Does it seem to everyone else that Japan is more open to the subject of homosexuality than America is? [/B][/QUOTE] I really think that if you want to discuss something like that, you shouldn't do it on this thread. It's a little too off-topic.

That's just my opinion, though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rttocs77 [/i]
[B]I'm sorry but do you find two males having a romantic/sexual relationship a degrading/disgusting/dispicable thing?[/B][/QUOTE]

Heavens, no. I love shonen-ai, shoujo-ai, and just about everything else under the sun. But I do know that not everyone feels the same way, and I wanted to make sure that the person who started the thread was aware that yaoi is a major theme in Descendants of Darkness, just in case he/she decided to start collecting it.

EDIT: *blinks*..... No, never mind, you quoted me incorrectly. Go take another look at my original post.

~Dagger~

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]Heavens, no. I love shonen-ai, shoujo-ai, and just about everything else under the sun. But I do know that not everyone feels the same way, and I wanted to make sure that the person who started the thread was aware that yaoi is a major theme in Descendants of Darkness, just in case he/she decided to start collecting it.

EDIT: *blinks*..... No, never mind, you quoted me incorrectly. Go take another look at my original post.

~Dagger~ [/B][/QUOTE]

I know...I intentionally did that I was just kidding. I know you don't think that. I guess you had to have heard me say it...oh well so to stay on topic I recommend Ayashi no Ceres. It has everything in it, including incest, if you're into that kind of thing. It doesn't have and 'mecha' stuff in it though, but it includes every other genre. It's not too long either. It's a typical 27 eps series.