OtakuBoards

You may have kill bill and adam

Kyo no Ryu

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kyo no Ryu [/i]
[B]Its meant to be plain. Hav you seen the other ones? And the text was purposefull. Its a joke lighten up. My charachter in Kill Adam was neutral so... [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#006699]I think you're the one that needs to lighten up, it's called criticism. The banner is nothing great, I know that you would do something better. The colors don't match eachother, even if that was the intention, they clash. It's extremely dull, the other Kill Bill spin-off banners have some sort of texture, some blur, something to make them the slightest bit interesting. Read some tutorials and spend a fair amount of time on it, then you should get a bit better. :) Also, .bmp isn't a very good file format.[/color]

[color=#006695]Yes, I understand that. And I just realised that there probably aren't many tutorials for paint users. You can't do much in paint, but trust me, if your screw around with it for a little while, your results will turn out much better. I work out of a paint basis too (well, now I have PSP7 but I've yet to do anything), and it takes a lot of work to make a banner look good.

Just put some more effort into what you're doing. Trust me on this, even with paint, you can do some OK stuff. ;p[/color]

::nods::

Try using Impact font. It's the closest font I've seen to the KILL BILL lettering.

Mix a bit of brown into the yellow background, then smudge pen (I think that's the pen) the entire thing, or apply a scratch and noise filter.

It's not bad, but it does need work.

I understand your comedic intent, but even comedy/parody needs a "genre grounding." Genre Grounding means a parody that still resides in the space of its source material, making it a believable comedic endeavor and not an imitation...like the original designer/writer COULD have designed/written it for fun.

So, concentrate on Genre Grounding, rework the font, rework the color, and you should have a pretty nifty banner.

And others have already mentioned BMP, so yeah.

I took the liberty of giving you a hand. Reworked your design in Paint. Stuff can be done with it. ;)

EDIT: I'll go through what I typed, as to clarify my point (though it was quite clear and understandable)

[quote]1) Try using Impact font. It's the closest font I've seen to the KILL BILL lettering.

2) Mix a bit of brown into the yellow background, then smudge pen (I think that's the pen) the entire thing, or apply a scratch and noise filter.

It's not bad, but it does need work.

3) I understand your comedic intent, but even comedy/parody needs a "genre grounding." Genre Grounding means a parody that still resides in the space of its source material, making it a believable comedic endeavor and not an imitation...like the original designer/writer COULD have designed/written it for fun.

So, concentrate on Genre Grounding, rework the font, rework the color, and you should have a pretty nifty banner.

And others have already mentioned BMP, so yeah.[/quote]

1) When you use the text tool, a window should pop-up, having pull-down menus for FONT, FONT SIZE, etc. Click the one for FONT SIZE, then find the font called IMPACT. It looks like you were using Arial, which doesn't fit KILL BILL. Impact is the closest style the public has to duplicate the KILL BILL lettering.

After putting the text down, select your airbrush tool, and select white as your color. Airbrush over the lettering in a few sprays across. That should give you a neat roughed-up look to the lettering. Now, click EDIT up top, then SELECT ALL. Cut the document to the clipboard. Onto step 2.

2) Background. This starts with selecting a custom color from the color blocks down bottom. Doubleclick on any of the color boxes down there, and then click on custom color in the following window. Just get a balance between yellow and brown, then fill the background of your document with it. After filling the background with your custom color, go BACK INTO the custom color configuration and get a yellow/brown mix that's lighter than the first custom color you chose.

Now, go back to your document, select your new custom color and select the airbrush tool, with the airbrush tool on the largest setting. Zoom into the document as closely as possible, then spray the airbrush onto the document. Try to get it in even columns. On average, there are 3 bursts top to bottom.

That should give you a neat roughed-up effect to the background.

Now, paste the lettering in. You'll have some white splotches here and there, so zoom in all the way and use the pencil tool to get rid of them, by either coloring them black or sucking up the yellowish/brown around there and coloring them with that.

I believe that's all I did to get it.

Good luck.

[color=#006699]First I must compliment PoisonTongue on a wonderful guide, my cat could follow that thing. :) (P.S. I miss your Simon avatar)

Second, that is so much better than your first attempt KnR. If you take this advice, and expand upon it (broaden your horizons) I think you could be doing some [i]great[/i] banners in the future. But once again, why the .bmp? I took the libert of saving it to a JPG for you. [/color]

Thanks, Shroom. That .bmp was making my computer go into convulsions. ^__^;;

And I couldn't agree more. Kyo, the second version of your banner looks many times more spiffy than the first. Excellent work, especially when compared to its original incarnation (which was rather lacking in impact).

~Dagger~