OtakuBoards

cutting

vegeta rocker

Guest rttocs77
Prison is suppose to be a form of rahbilitation and punishment. A mental institution is considered a form of rehabilitation and punishment also.

Also, I had a friend ( actually I have had several but this one is the most memorable) who used to cut herself on her arms and thighs. She would come to school or call me and tell her she did it. She would call several of her friends and tell them too. At first we were all very concerned and tried to talk with her about it. I think it became clear to most of us that she was doing it for attention. We then began to catch on to that is was very possible that she was just doing it for attention. We started to ignore her when she talked about it and would flippantly dismiss it if we were in a conversation and she mentioned it. Soon, she stopped cutting herself. There were no more cuts on her arms or thighs and that.

I know it seems harsh, but when you have done everything you could do (we even told the guidance counselor) and they don't seem depressed otherwise and are constantly bringing it up, I think it is safe to assume that it is just an attention seeking method. A pretty screwed up one, but attention seeking none the less.

I also ask this question of you, what is the difference between abusing drugs (for the sake of a more even arguement lets say prescription drugs) and cutting? For some reason though, everyone here seems to think its not an offense in the least bit....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=deeppink]
Dagger and PiroMunkie pretty much set it straight. It's a disease, and you need help. If you don't want to go to someone professional, talk to a friend, or anyone you trust with that sort of information. A true friend or mentor will help you to stop. Although I would first and foremost suggest seeing someone professional, as Dagger said, some mental problems can truly be fixed with just that pill. I know, I've seen people change dramatically because of it.

If you feel like you don't have anyone to talk to, like I said before, feel free to PM me, or one of the other people who have offered on this thread. We'd all obviously be happy to help whoever wants it.

{PS: As satan665 said, the Hippocratic oath requires all doctors to break their code of confidentiality if you are causing harm to yourself or others. This means that you will either be put on medication, put into rehab, or put under strict observation of a psychologist or psychiatrist if you are showing signs masochism or suicidal tendancies.}
[/color]

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiccansamurai [/i]
[B]One, when I cut, it doesn't affect my grades. Two, drugs are a lot worse. They destroy your mind and body faster than a few slits on my ankle will. Oh, and a mental institution is just for rehab, not punishment. You wouldn't punish a person for being depresses, that just makes no sense. [/B][/QUOTE]

Rehab (rehabilitation) is for addictions right? And if cutting is an addiction, then one might consider it a type of drug. People do it to "make things better" or they might do it for "the fun of it." It sounds like a drug to me.

Mental institutions are a punishment. It's like a prison. Most of the staff will treat you inhumaley, you are in a locked facility, you have limited and monitored contact with the outside world, and you are required to be there until a given time or until the parol board...oh excuse me...I mean designated psychiatrist thinks it's ok for you to begin to merge yourself back into the world.

Whether you think it or not cutting hurts yourself physically and mentally. It teaches you that you don't really have to work on your problems, all you need to do is take a few pills...oh pardon me...I mean do a few slits on your wrist and everything will be better.

Guest cloricus
[quote]It's very difficult to be close to someone who cuts, or is depressed and suicidal.[/quote]
True. Very hard.

People have to remember that shrinks hear this all the time; they know how to deal with it. You don't, other wise you wouldn't be in the situation; if you are under 16 you will want to find some one you really trust wont go to your family because that just adds to problems unless it can be done properly. Most of it is easy to treat; it?s mainly only the people that are addicted that cannot stop and that?s where it leads to premature death.

Guest rttocs77
I cut a few times before. I went to my mom about it. I was, however, under the influence of meth at the time. If I weren't I probably wouldn't have told her.

Guest cloricus
I'm not sure if some of you are; immature, attention seekers or you really have a problem. I'm leaning on the first two for most of you and I?d note that if that was the case you really are making a fool of yourselves and stopping people who really have an idea to get across what they need to.

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B]I'm not sure if some of you are; immature, attention seekers or you really have a problem. I'm leaning on the first two for most of you and I?d note that if that was the case you really are making a fool of yourselves and stopping people who really have an idea to get across what they need to. [/B][/QUOTE]

Perhaps if you go back to the last page you can see that I said that fir...i mean, too. :cool:

Guest rttocs77
It depends how you go about doing it.... the few times I have done anything "bad" weren't for attention purposes.

That's pretty sick trying to get attention from hurting yourself.

Well, think about how it feels to be a self injurer (i doubt I spelled that right) and be afraid. Afraid you'll always be alone, surrounded in people who don't notice you. Then you do something to relieve the pain, and now you have another fear: talking. All you can think is how much easier it would be just to not talk. So you try to make people notice you subconciencly, because it would be so much simpler if they figured it out. Did anything I just said make any sense?

[B]Well, think about how it feels to be a self injurer (i doubt I spelled that right) and be afraid. Afraid you'll always be alone, surrounded in people who don't notice you. Then you do something to relieve the pain, and now you have another fear: talking. All you can think is how much easier it would be just to not talk. So you try to make people notice you subconciencly, because it would be so much simpler if they figured it out. Did anything I just said make any sense? [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
I know exactly what you mean.

Unfortunatly, this is what a lot of people, especially those who are antisocial/shy and have self-esteem problems, come to think. You're terrified that you will wind up all alone, and so you'd hurt yourself, just to know that someone cares. A silent cry for help, love, and attention.

But that are [i]much[/i] better ways of telling people that you feel alone and unloved. It takes some courage to face people, and yourself, and the last thing I'm saying is that it will be easy. But try talking to someone, bearing your soul and not your wrists.

Just because you're shy, or quiet, doesn't mean you have to go on alone. Grasp onto that little bit of courage everyone has, and talk. People that truly care will respond. They'll be there for you. You may even discover you had friends in places you'd never thought to look. =)

Guest cloricus
[quote]Is it that badd to want attention? No one can go about their lives alone, everybody needs someone who will actually care.[/quote]

There is a difference between being a person who is truly alone by a failure of luck and some one who is just a brat that no one wants to talk to. One of which needs to look at themselves and take the steps to fix [i]their[/i] problem not sit down and cut. Now who this statement is aimed I will leave, but to that person snap out of it.

[QUOTE]There is a difference between being a person who is truly alone by a failure of luck and some one who is just a brat that no one wants to talk to. One of which needs to look at themselves and take the steps to fix their problem not sit down and cut. Now who this statement is aimed I will leave, but to that person snap out of it.[/QUOTE]

I am a brat :p But I know a lot of cutters who are just angry at themselves. I'm angry at myself, too. never do anything right, and people end up looking at me like I'm a complete idiot. I guess I am an idiot. I don't see your point. No one wants to talk to me, that's why I'm so alone.

Guest cloricus
IceWolfEyes you have to remember there are people here from different countries, you cannot definitely say that it is illegal because you never know it could be in some one else?s. Or should I let you go back to you're illusion that America's always right?

Go IceWolfEyes! Anyway, cutting becomes a coping mechanism after a while. You can stop when everything is going right, but then something goes wrong, and you feel a surge of an emotion you want to get rid of. So you get rid of it. Afterwards you feel better. I'm not saying its a good thing to do, just what I can't help but to do. I draw a lot but always end up doing it all the same.

EDIT: oh, and I don't know why we're all arguing about wether its illegal or not. It's a stupid fight that will never end. Let's stick to the original questions.

*shrugs* If it's seriously affecting your life or damaging your body in a dramatic way, I'd say stop, but I mean, I've been burning for a few months and it's no big deal¡½no permanent damage, it's just something I do when I'm confused or angry, which is only maybe once or twice avery 2 weeks. Plus they're small, I use incense(sp?) sticks.

If it's changing your life for the worse, I think it should stop, but if it's not really a negative thing, I don't know, it's up to you. If you want to stop, then, um, don't do it anymore. I think you are still liveing with your parents because, uh, you're pretty young, so if you can't do it on your own get your parents' help.

I know it's probably not a good thing for me to do, but I don't cut myself deep. I don't lose enough blood to become anemic (Spelling?) or anything. I doesn't even hurt. It hurt the first time I did it. I thought I would of stopped after that, but the second time I tried, it didn't hurt anymore.

[color=deeppink]
Okay, several people are treating cutting as a rather casual thing on this thread. Like maybe it's not so bad.

[b] It is. There is something wrong. [/b]

I have cut, and I've known other people to cut. It's a serious problem, whether you think it is or not. It's a damaging addiction. For whatever reasons, attention, a way to let off emotion, whatever, don't try to pretend nothing is wrong, or that it's not really bad because you don't do it often, don't cut too deep, etc. Don't shrug it off. Talk to someone, figure out what's wrong, let them help you change both yourself, and how people treat you.

It's not simple, it's not easy. But if you don't stop, you won't ever really be happy, or stable, or any of those things that you want. You'll always hold that in you, always have those scabs, like a demon festering inside you. You'll get attention maybe, but you won't really be satisfied, and you'll have to constantly keep cutting just to have that attention. Wouldn't it be better to have people give you attention for who you are?

Cutting is not something to proud of, but it's not something to be ashamed of. The bottom line? Get help. Learn to change your life.

Guest rttocs77
It is bad. It's just like a drug, and like a drug it [i] is [/i] illegal. So IceWolfEyes, I've been through all of it. I've done it, I've seen friends do it. You will just end up with less than zero.. Heh...like the book.

Let's not continue the argument on wether or not it's illegal, as was mentioned, different countries have different laws. I know cutting is right, but who really does all the right things? I do this because I'm afraid to talk, and I want to take the coward's way of getting attention. Does that bother you? It's hard for them to notice me, my parents have seven kids other than me to worry about, and a granddaughter. Teachers aren't there to help with these kinds of things, really. Its hard to find someone with real time for you.

[B]Let's not continue the argument on wether or not it's illegal, as was mentioned, different countries have different laws. I know cutting is right, but who really does all the right things? I do this because I'm afraid to talk, and I want to take the coward's way of getting attention. Does that bother you? It's hard for them to notice me, my parents have seven kids other than me to worry about, and a granddaughter. Teachers aren't there to help with these kinds of things, really. Its hard to find someone with real time for you. [/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
Of course no one does 'all the right things.' No one is perfect. But does that mean you stop trying? Just because you can't be perfect, you decide it's okay to do the exact opposite? People make mistakes, that's a given. But you should learn from those mistakes, not repeat them.

And as it was mentioned several times, quite a few people here are willing to listen to you. There are help hot-lines for this sort of thing. Anyone who keeps on about how alone they are is just looking for attention in the wrong way.

i almost cut my self like that, it was at at slumber party, every one knows that i should be in the cookoo house for anger manage ment so to piss me off they made fun of me and stuff. i told them to shut up and they told me to cut myself. i said no, they lauged and said your afraid? and i said no. then they said ha! miss tough 11 year old 8th grader is afraid to cut herself! they laughed i got angrey and pulled my dagger (i never take it out of my pocket or remove it more then six feet away) and i was about to cut myslef when my friend now my best friend sad. "dont you idiot! they're trying to piss you off dont give them satisfaction" i didnt, i hate those girls now and am not friends with them. and i'm so thankful i didnt cut myself. its all a matter of will and good friends. try to invite people you like over, for stuying, or any ecsuse so if you get upset, they'll be there to slap you in the face and say "you idiot!"