OtakuBoards

Wicca and Paganism. Dead or Alive?

Ryu_Sakura

Is wicca/pagenism real?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is wicca/pagenism real?

• Yes, but they were/still are out casts for bieliefs.
    • No, they died out long ago.
    • Worshippers of the devil! *makes X sign*
    • What? I dont know what you are talking about.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875]It's important to note that while there are religions that believe in and worship Satan..."Satanism" isn't one of them. Satanism is a specific religion, which actually seems much closer to athiesm than anything else.[/color][/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry James, should have been a bit more clear on what I mean. By "Satanic" I don't necessarily mean "Satanic" in relation to the religion of Satanism, but rather I mean anything that involves Satan in some way.

I understand that the religion known as "Satanism" doesn't actually worship Satan, but when I describe a religion as "Satanic", what I generally mean is that the religion treats Satan as an object of worship. Literally Satanic, as in, of Satan. I have no idea why what is known as "Satanism" was ever given that name, given it's lack of Satanic worship

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan L [/i]
[B] I have no idea why what is known as "Satanism" was ever given that name, given it's lack of Satanic worship [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Well, as I mentioned above...Satanists don't believe in Satan as a demon or devil. They merely see Satan as a symbol of opposition -- a challenge to the mainstream.

So that's where that comes from.

But yeah, I do see what you mean. And I understand your intention with your phrasing...I guess that my post was mostly trying to point this out to other readers who may want to lump Satanists in with Satanic cults and so forth. [/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Wiccan seems ot be the more popular of the two... you don't hear much of pagaenism anymore (except from like lesbians or something lol... this is from personal experience)
[/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=deeppink][b]WICCA[/b] is an actual religion. [b]PAGANISM[/b] is the catergory to which Wicca is placed.
You can be Pagan and not be Wiccan, but you can't be Wiccan and not be pagan.
As for the whole all Wiccans dress in dark colors and are Goth chicks. That's a really stupid stereotype. I listen to country music and wear Aeropostale, American Eagle and Old Navy along with things I buy at Hot Topic, Department stores, and Salvation Army (yes, I said Salvation Army.)
Of course at open circle I was one of the few people who dressed like that, but I didn't give a duck.
Oh, I have to comment on the Charmed topic as well in this post. I read A book by Raymond Buckland back in June, it not only mentioned Charmed, but Sabrina The Teenage Witch. Now I've [i]watched[/i] Sabrina and I [i]still[/i] haven't gone into another relm through my linen closet! I do kinda wish that would happen tho.
As for Satanism, it's another Pagan religion of sorts. I don't know too much about it, but my husband practiced for a while. Satanism (atleast the one I know a bit about) has nothing to do with worshipping Satan or sacrificing babies or virgins. Satan is used as more of a break from the norm as such. Or the Civil disobediance. You could also try to read the Satanic Website by Anton Levay for acurate discriptions. (BTW, Satanists and Wiccans don't really get along well) Oh and Benjamine Franklin and a few members of the Rat Pack were Satanists.
My take on Wicca is that it's a religion based on positive beliefs. I was once told by a woman who owned an antique shop a few towns over from me in TX that Wicca embraces positive religions. The interesting part is she was being hounded because of her beliefs by other 'positive' religion follwers including a pastor.
If anyone can tell me a bit more about Wicca (real stuff, not silly stuff) PM me, all my books are in TX still.
Wicca and Paganism in general aren't hard to learn about, you just have to go buy a book on it. A good starter is to Ride A Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf[/COLOR]

Eeep, I love Silver Ravenwolf! She's my favorite author, but that's off topic. I wish stuff in tv shows was true too. I don't fit any stereotypes (or so I tell myself) I'll be wearing black tomorrow, but have a bright red sweater on today. Above all, I'm an artist and I like varying colors. I may be a teenage girl, but among the other wiccans at my school, I'm the one (as far as I know) who follows the rules best, and the others are either more "preppy" or fit no stereotype. I'm just ranting.

I've not yet grown out of it, and I know plenty of adult wiccans who started in their teens. Christanity never did it for me. And I don't use wicca to brag around school, though most people know (I told my friends and my friends told everyone else) It's not like I cover everything in pentacles or anything. I pray to goddess and light incense. I don't even do many rituals yet, unless a pet is deathly ill. I'm good at healing rituals. Why would I worry? Praying to somethng I actually believe in makes me happy. And as I've said before I'm not "goth".

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]Not when it's a trend. You'll grow out of it, don't worry. [/B][/QUOTE] [COLOR=purple]Whatever
Okay, to some people it is a trend, when the weather gets too cold out to be comfortable for ritual they stop coming.
But some people actually do believe in this religion and they don't see it as a trend.
Maybe we should all call Christianity a trend as well and wait for that witch hunt breeder to die out ne? But you don't see people doing that. No, Christianity can't be mocked, but [b]EVERYONE[/b] and their senial grandmother can bash Paganism. It makes me sick!
Sorry, got a bit ranty. Like I said tho, I'm still learning. I have to do most of it on my own since my hubby's afraid of imposing his beliefs on me. Okay, that's it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=deeppink]BTW Harry, don't worry, ignorance is just a trend and us Pagans hope you grow out of it soon-we hope.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ChibiHorsewoman [/i]
[B][COLOR=purple]Christianity can't be mocked[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE] [FONT=arial]*faintly amused*

In any case...

I don't profess to know a great deal about any religion other than the one I've been studying for the last twelve years of my life.

I do, however, believe that Wicca attracts more than its fair share of young people not interested in the beliefs so much as what they feel it stands for--be that standing up to their parents, taking part in something outside the norm, or whatever else. It's unfortunate, perhaps, but the impression remains that all followers/practioners (I don't know that I have the right term) are rebellious teens who don't take it seriously.

[/FONT]

I'm not rebellous. My mom doesn't exactly like wicca, but I never mention it and neither does she. My whole family has always loved nature, and I feel closer to it practicing Wicca. I hope it's not just a trend for me, because I'll be sad if I "grow out of it" BTW, anyone interested in chatting with other pagans, pm me, I know a great chat full of them and they're all really nice. But thats off topic. I go off on tangents a lot.

[B]
[COLOR=deeppink]BTW Harry, don't worry, ignorance is just a trend and us Pagans hope you grow out of it soon-we hope.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE] Hahah do you seriously belive it's not a trend these days? Sure some people might actually believe in it but a good majority of them probably don't.

Guest Skyechild91
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiccansamurai [/i]
[B]Eeep, I love Silver Ravenwolf! She's my favorite author, but that's off topic. I wish stuff in tv shows was true too. I don't fit any stereotypes (or so I tell myself) I'll be wearing black tomorrow, but have a bright red sweater on today. Above all, I'm an artist and I like varying colors. I may be a teenage girl, but among the other wiccans at my school, I'm the one (as far as I know) who follows the rules best, and the others are either more "preppy" or fit no stereotype. I'm just ranting. [/B][/QUOTE]
EEK! I love you! Sorry. Silver Ravenwolf is awsome! 'To Ride A Silver Broom Stick'... I luv that book! Wicca is still alive, as well as Paganism. I go to a church that has some Pagan members. Im a Wiccan. ASo is Valen. I havent seen him in 4eva. I already stared a thread about this, but I think its dead now...

[QUOTE]BTW Harry, don't worry, ignorance is just a trend and us Pagans hope you grow out of it soon-we hope. [/QUOTE]

Me too. And I dont do very many fancy rituals. My friend, Alia(known as Catdemon on OB) is Pagan. Her mom is a priestess of the goddess Maat. I pray to the goddess Selene, and the Horned god Loki. But usually I leave out Loki... Thats the thing about being a girl... PM me, wiccansamurai!

[B][COLOR=purple]Maybe we should all call Christianity a trend as well and wait for that witch hunt breeder to die out ne? But you don't see people doing that. No, Christianity can't be mocked, but [b]EVERYONE[/b] and their senial grandmother can bash Paganism.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Two points to make here:

1- Maybe you [i]should[/i] call Christianity a trend. Christians that are true to what they call themselves make up a tiny minority. Like the difference between trendy Wicca and true Wicca, there's a difference between Christianity and actually following Jesus.

2- Christianity? Can't be mocked?

Have you read some of the scandalous headlines to do with the church recently, and have you listened to some people's opinions on it? If Christianity is one of those things which can't be mocked in society, heaven help those things which can.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dan L [/i]
[B]Two points to make here:

1- Maybe you [i]should[/i] call Christianity a trend. Christians that are true to what they call themselves make up a tiny minority. Like the difference between trendy Wicca and true Wicca, there's a difference between Christianity and actually following Jesus.

2- Christianity? Can't be mocked?

Have you read some of the scandalous headlines to do with the church recently, and have you listened to some people's opinions on it? If Christianity is one of those things which can't be mocked in society, heaven help those things which can. [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=purple]Maybe someone can do a post on what sarcasm is? Honestly!:rolleyes:
Yes, but those who mock Christianity usually get the lovely word Heathen added to their name.
Anthing can be mocked somethings that are foreign to mainstream beliefs are just made fun of more and twisted into things that cause trouble. Like say a Baptist preacher encouraging his congregation to interupt rituals. FYI this has actually happened.
There was also an incidence where a middle school girl hung herself since she was tormented for her beliefs.
You want to hear more? Do a yahoo search looking for Ft.Hood Open Circle. You can read interesting articles about 'good' Christian's who decided to interupt other people's worship.
Sorry, but I needed to vent that.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=deeppink]On a lighter note. Last month in Copperas Cove ( a small town on the other end of Ft.Hood) There was a Church meeting about Witchcraft. This was rather interesting.[/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=purple]Maybe someone can do a post on what sarcasm is? Honestly!:rolleyes:
Yes, but those who mock Christianity usually get the lovely word Heathen added to their name.
Anthing can be mocked somethings that are foreign to mainstream beliefs are just made fun of more and twisted into things that cause trouble. Like say a Baptist preacher encouraging his congregation to interupt rituals. FYI this has actually happened.
There was also an incidence where a middle school girl hung herself since she was tormented for her beliefs.
You want to hear more? Do a yahoo search looking for Ft.Hood Open Circle. You can read interesting articles about 'good' Christian's who decided to interupt other people's worship.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=deeppink]On a lighter note. Last month in Copperas Cove ( a small town on the other end of Ft.Hood) There was a Church meeting about Witchcraft. This was rather interesting.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe the people who would do that were good Christians? I sure hope not, because if you do, well then you obviously know very little about the religion you seem to dislike.

I believe someone else on this message board a interesting point on wiccans in a different thread. They are very defensive. It's as if they feel the "bigger" religions bully them, mostly due to rare and impersonal occurences elsewhere. This isn't directed at anyone here, nor am I saying all wiccans are like this, but, oh well.

I've met a couple people who thought it was odd that I was wiccan, but few really cared. anyway, the whole "good christian" thing was the point Chibi was trying to make. they can't really be good christians if they do that, but they think they are perfect. *shakes from sleep deprivaton* sorry, I'm making no sense right now.

[B][COLOR=purple]Maybe someone can do a post on what sarcasm is? Honestly!:rolleyes:
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=deeppink]On a lighter note. Last month in Copperas Cove ( a small town on the other end of Ft.Hood) There was a Church meeting about Witchcraft. This was rather interesting.[/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE]

I realise that essentially what you're trying to get at is that Christianity is a much more mainstream belief, and thus it is much less seen as something which is acceptable to be mocked in society. But the point I'm trying to make is that the mainstream ideal in America today is [i]not[/i] Christianity in it's true form. Here in England, 72% of people claim to be "Christian", but this is more a general label than an actual belief. Christianity is mocked all over, and no-one would look particularly scornfully upon it, other than some of the "Christians" themselves, which make up a surprising minority (about 7%) for such a "Christian" nation, to the point that their views are not valued very much and they don't have the power to enforce them.

Most of the Christians who look scornfully upon oppression (the majority of which are of a superficial faith) of any form, including being mocked, simply haven't read their Bibles. Mockery is something we are supposed to recieve and forgive, and we're meant to just let it happen, because the world doesn't understand the revelation we have, and we should even pray for those who mock our faith.

In America the church is very much a mainstream religion. However even in America true Christianity is not the mainstream. You only need to look at some of the things which go on all around the place which are clearly against the Bible's teachings on life, to realise that even the super-Christian, "God-Blessed" Nation of America is spiritually deprived of Godliness.

In such a nation where belief is mainstream but [b]FAITH[/b] is looked down upon, where acknowledgement of God is everywhere but somehow when you apply Christ's teachings to your whole life, you are branded a "radical" or "extremist"- in a bad way, you have to ask- is Christianity really mainstream? In one form it is, but in another it is not.

Christianity as a practice of going to church every week and believing in God but not talking to him in between, in order to go and sit back in clouds when we die- is very much alive. However this is a clear misconception of what Christianity is really about. "Love the Lord your God with ALL your heart". This leaves no room for anything else in that first-best place in your heart. This leaves no room for mere rituals. Who, when married, sees their spouse for two hours a week, and then willingly (rather than forcibly) departs for the remaining 166, and then is described by people as "loving their partner with all their heart". Similarly, a Christian who simply goes to church does not truly love God with all their heart.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life... no one comes to the father but through me". Few "Christians" actually believe this, and rather believe that whatever belief you choose to hold to, if it works for you, then it surely brings you closer to God. Such lukewarm faith cannot be held by one who truly believes that Jesus is [i]the[/i] way, [i]the[/i] truth,. and [i]the[/i] life.
[i]He is the way[/i]: the only road that leads to the "narrow gate" (which is harder to get through) symbolic of a life of sacrifice for him, which leads to eternal life in the Father.
[i]He is the truth[/i]: for every word he speaks is infallible and authoritative, and useful for teaching others how to live. And even in a world such as this, in which God is viewed as whoever you want him to be, his truth is the only truth which holds firm.
[i]He is the life[/i]: because without him there is only death. Our carnal desires are all well and good, but in the end they lead to nothing. We come from nothing, we go to nothing. On our own we can expect no less, but in him we are given the eternal life we were created for and long for as a species.

All this does not mean you can not hold your beliefs. God gave us free will because if he dictated everything and forced us to do it, it wouldn't really be much of an interesting world, and obedience would not exist. Obedience can only exist when the option to do otherwise is there, and you choose to obey.

I'm not here to prove my religion- but to prove my point about my beliefs. They are far from mainstream. You see, it's all good and well to follow what I've already said, but the second great commandment was "Love your neighbour", and our neighbours are everyone. Other religions are our neighbours- we aren't called to inerrupt their practices or to mock them but to love them and to love our own God even in their presence.

Though I don't agree with your beliefs, I don't bash them. I don't go saying "Wicca is a dumb religion, only fools practice it". Why- because I know that I am a fool myself, and am not fit to call another man or woman a fool. "Do not judge others, or you will be judged yourself" I am far from worthy to judge anyone, because I am as imperfect as anyone on these messageboards, or in this world. And in light of that, I repent of my earlier statement "Your laughs are of ignorance" (look way back)- regardless of whether I was right or wrong to say that, I was judging others, something I clearly am told not to do.

I may seem to have sidetracked off from the original point here, but all this was necessary to make my overall point. By "Christianity", do you mean those who go to church a day a week and comment on the unholiness of everyone who doesn't in the meantime? Or do you mean those who actually follow the teachings and live them out. If you mean the first, I assure you that they are not followers of Christ but pagans themselves for they worship themselves 6 days a week. If however, you mean those who actually follow the teaching, I assure you that they are just as mocked by the "holier than thou" church attenders and also modern culture because they go against the grain of both.

The Bible doesn't encourage interrupting rituals of other religions- it only states that believers in God/ Christ should not participate in them. It doesn't encourage mockery. It encourages love towards even our those who oppress us or hold different beliefs.

Mocking mainstream Christianity may leave you called a heathen by "Christians", but the Christianity I was referring to can be, and often is, mocked freely with the encouragement of those in more traditional or one-day-a-week beliefs.

This is where religon screws everything up. People argue over it, people start wars over it. I don't see what the big deal is, like in the movie Dogma, it's better to have an idea of faith than an actual religon, because when you set rules on how to worship, things in religon start to get screwed up. But don't listen to me, I have gotten no sleep this week and I'm just typing whatever comes to mind.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wiccansamurai [/i]
[B]This is where religon screws everything up. People argue over it, people start wars over it. I don't see what the big deal is, like in the movie Dogma, it's better to have an idea of faith than an actual religon, because when you set rules on how to worship, things in religon start to get screwed up. But don't listen to me, I have gotten no sleep this week and I'm just typing whatever comes to mind. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's the thing. My faith isn't a set of rules and dogmas and theologies. Sure, they come in a lot. And when it comes to describing my religion, that's how I need to describe it. Why? Because I can't possibly go about describing what it's actually like to live in Christ.

The main distinction between Christianity as a religion and as a faith is this:

as a faith, Christianity is a way of life from which the principles by which you live come out. However all these principles are applied in love.

as a religion, Christianity is a set of rules by which people form their way of life. As a result, different denominations argue about their own doctrines because they lose focus on the way of life.

The post I've already posted goes into more detail in some of the ways I apply my faith into my life, but ultimately it all comes down to what I just said.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Epid3mic [/i]
[B]Do you honestly believe the people who would do that were good Christians? I sure hope not, because if you do, well then you obviously know very little about the religion you seem to dislike.

I believe someone else on this message board a interesting point on wiccans in a different thread. They are very defensive. It's as if they feel the "bigger" religions bully them, mostly due to rare and impersonal occurences elsewhere. This isn't directed at anyone here, nor am I saying all wiccans are like this, but, oh well. [/B][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=indigo]Okay, first off would you please pick up a dictionary and look up the word Sarcasm? Did you even notice that I put the word good in quotes? go back and read it, you'll find it there.
As for me not knowing very much about a religion i 'dislike' (look quotations) I grew up Christian. read my first post to this topic. I was married in a CHRISTIAN church by a deacon. I was Christian for twenty-one years of my life. I don't dislike Christianity. I know pleanty of very nice people who are Christian. My mom, my maternal grandparents (I can't go into my paternal grandmother right now because at the moment she's being the 'bad' type of Christian) My closest friends are Christian. I've even had a polite conversation about religion with someone on this board.
I find Christianity a very nice positive religion. [b](even a lady I know of who runs an antique shop in Burnet,TX has said that. And she's been run out of town a few times by people who follow Christian teachings due to her religion.)[/b] It's just that the religion wasn't for me anymore. I don't condem other people for believing it and I certainly don't hate it. Heck, I don't even hate you. I dislike that you're putting words in my mouth, but I don't hate you. I don't even know you.
As for the defensive comment, could it possibly be due to the fact that there were actually things called the Burning Time and a Book Called the Witches Hammer? Maybe it's because there are politicians trying to bar people from the military based on religion. Or it could just be because stupid people make stupid comments.
Okay rant over. ChibiHorsewoman is coming back to earth now. Thank you for your patience.
Oh, and if you think I'm making some of this stuff up, please read this
Pagans Plan Response to Labor Day Anti-Witch March in Texas
Lady Liberty League News #6 Wednesday, September 1, 1999

from [url]http://www.circlesanctuary.org/liberty[/url]

Pagans, Christians, and others supportive of religious diversity are planning to make a peaceful and centered stand ? for religious freedom, and against bigotry ? in response to an anti-Witch march scheduled to take place on Labor Day (Monday, September 6, 1999) in local communities near Fort Hood in Texas. The march is being organized and led by an anti-diversity Christian preacher who has been one of the most vocal opponents of freedom of worship for Wiccans in the US military. He has tried repeatedly to stir up public pressure to stop the Sacred Well Congregation?s Fort Hood Open Circle from having Wiccan rituals at Fort Hood.

This preacher, Rev. Jack Harvey of Tabernacle Baptist Church in Killeen, calls his action, ?march against wickedness.? He plans to start the march in Killeen on Monday morning and end it in the afternoon at a Pagan owned metaphysical store in Copperas Cove. He has spoken out against Witches and the Wiccan religion both publicly and privately.

Some of his anti-Wiccan propaganda is quoted in an article written by reporter Barry Schlachter which was published in the August 7, 1999 issue of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram newspaper.
?This is war,? thundered the Rev. Jack Harvey of nearby Killeen, who has vowed to run the witches off base. Harvey, who has announced a Labor Day ?march against wickedness,? sees no difference between Wicca and devil worship or voodoo. He has instructed that at least one member of his congregation carry a handgun at services ? ?in case a warlock tries to grab one of our kids.?

?I?ve heard they drink blood, eat babies. They have fires, they probably cook them. This is unbelievably wrong,? said Harvey, who repeatedly pounded his desk during an interview at Tabernacle Baptist Church, then apologized for his hell-broth boil.

?Sorry. I get very emotional about this,? he said.

There was no sign of human, or animal, sacrifice at the Lughnassadh or first harvest service on July 31, which was followed by a potluck turkey dinner. Adherents insist that Wicca, a nonproselytizing faith traced back to pre-Christian nature worship but largely reborn, with a strong feminist influence, during the 1970s, has nothing to do with Satanism.

Fort Hood officers, citing their soldiers? constitutional right to religious freedom, have allowed Wiccan worship since August 1997. And they have not buckled under to critics ? or rethought their policy, as Gov. George W. Bush, R-Tex., urged in an interview broadcast nationally on ABC- TV.

The legally incorporated Sacred Well Congregation of San Antonio had been quietly sponsoring the base rituals with little outside notice until the Austin American-Statesman ran a lengthy piece in May.

Its photo of the congregation?s high priest, Fort Worth-reared psychologist David Oringderff, hurdling a Fort Hood bonfire was widely reprinted, raising the ire of fundamentalist Christians in Congress such as Sen. Strom Thurmond, R-S.C., and Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga.

?What?s next?? Barr wrote in a letter to Lt. Gen. Leon S. Leponte, the base commander. ?Will armored divisions be forced to travel with sacrificial animals for Satanic rituals? Will Rastafarians demand the inclusion of ritualistic marijuana cigarettes in their rations??

In keeping with the original compromise with the Texas Wiccans, there is still no traditionally ?skyclad,? or naked, bonfire jumping at Fort Hood.

In June, 13 conservative religious groups announced a boycott of enlistment and re- enlistment until Wiccan worship is taken off Fort Hood. The call drew national attention. But the boycott hasn?t affected potential recruits, Army spokeswoman Maria Taylor said from the Pentagon. Moreover, Pat Robertson?s Christian Coalition and another group have withdrawn from the boycott.

In July, Barr was rebuffed in an attempt to insert a provision in a military authorization bill that would have prevented Wiccans from using base facilities or getting Army-supplied candles. It never made it out of committee, his staff said.

Bush, a conservative Christian and the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, told ABC in June: ?I don?t think witchcraft is a religion. I would hope the military would take a second look at the decision they made.?

According to Heidi Morrow, who owns the New Age Connection, the store in Copperas Cove, Texas, being targeted by Harvey and his march on September 6, Harvey has told her and other area Witches that all Witches should be dead. He has repeatedly quoted a passage from Exodus 22:18 of the King James Version of the Bible: ?Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.? Although the word witch in this version is a mistranslation of ?ob? meaning ?poisoner,? from his remarks, Harvey appears to have no understanding of this and seems to be taking the words of the King James version of the passsage quite literally.

Lianna Costantino-Mead, a Wiccan high priestess, has heard similar rhetoric from Harvey. He also told her that all Witches should be killed. He proclaimed this after refusing her invitation for him to join in an interfaith dialog meeting between local Christian and Pagan religious leaders about religious freedom concerns. Due to threats Harvey has made against her, Lianna filed a report with the police.[/COLOR]