OtakuBoards

Element-ary

DeathBug

In a short essay I'm writing because the mood struck me, I'd like to discuss one of my favorite deck generes: Elemental decks.

As most duelists know, there are six elements in the game: Dark, Light, Earth, Water, Wind and Fire. (The God cards are of the "Divine" element, but they're not legal, so who cares?)

An "elemental" deck theme is one that puts monsters of the same element in the deck, and uses their best monsters and effects in combination with specific spell and trap cards to go for the win.

Pure elemental decks are one of my favorite types. I'm a sucker for theme decks.

Each elemtal deck has two things in its favor: A Field card, and the searchers. The field cards are Mystic Plasma Zone (Dark), Luminous spark (Light), Molten Destruction (Fire), Rising Air Current (Wind), Gaia Power (Earth), and Umikara/ALO (Water).

The searchers are: Shining Angel (Light), Mystic Tomato (Dark), Flying Kamikarii #1 (Wind), Giant Rat (Earth), UFO Turtle (Fire) and Mother Grizzly (Water). Each one, upon being destroyed in battle, special summons a <1500 attack monster of the same element to the field in attack mode.

In my opinion. the elements in order of strength:

1. Dark: Hands down, Dark owns the game. Jinzo. Breaker. Hades. Witch. Sangan. Cyber Jar. Barrel Dragon. Dark Magician. Zombrya. Cannon Soldier. Donny Z. Scientist. Exodia. Gravekeepers. The vast majority of fiends. A good chunk of Spellcasters.

Future Dark Monsters for your consideration include: Blood Vors, Black Magician of Chaos, Swift Lightning King Demon, Masked Beast Des Guardius, Great Demon Gazetto, Vampire Lord, Drillago, and that's just off the top of my head.

An entire Dark deck would be very, very strong, because the majority of "Monster staples" are dark.

2. Light: Light has shaped up very quickly since Legacy of Darkness. Currently strong monsters include: Maha Valio, Thunder Nyan nYan, Airknight, Asura Priest, Blue Eyes White Dragon, Sanga of the Thunder, Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon, St. Joan, Magician of Faith, XYZ, Roulette Barrel, and Mystical Knight of Jackal.

Light monsters in the next set include: Reflect Bounder, DD Warrior Lady, Kaiser Glider, and Shinto, Ruler of a Higher Plane.

Future Light Monsters include: Kaiser Seahorse, Blade Knight, and Joey's favorite, Gilford the Lightning.

3. Earth: Earth encompasses the vast majority of Warriors and Beasts, as well as several Machines. It also has two important Spellcasters, Gemeni Elf and Injection Fairy Lily.

The best use of an Earth deck is to play it as a beatdown. GAF, Gemini, and Gearfried lend themselves to this, and using Maurading Captain aids in swarming.

Earth decks also have DD Crazy Beast, Exiled Force and Hayabusa Knight, which are powerful if played strategically.

4. Water: Ever since the release of "A Legendary Ocean" in Legacy of Darkness, Water-based decks have been on the rise. Currently, the strongest hitters are Legendary Fisherman and Suijin. Crab TUrtle is strong, but seldom used, and Amphibian Beast usually isn't used in a deck that can get Suijin. (When ALO is on the field, both ecome one-trib monsters, and Suijin is obviously perferable.)

Recently, Sinister Serpant, T. Virus and Aqua Handmaiden have made these decks even more powerful.

However, with the release of set 307, water decks will recieve a *huge* boost, with all sorts of new attacks and effect monsters.

The Aqua deck's greatest weakness is its reliability on "ALO", which can easily be taken out with an MST.

5. Wind: Wind decks have two 1900/4 stars to their name, and will soon have a third. They also encompass several dragon and Insects, as well as housing the popular Harpie Lady series of cards. However, they hae few cards with game-breaking effects, and no special support aside from the Harpies.

Upon the release of Newt, Wind decks will get a boost, but they're still behind Earth and Water.

6. Fire: Wind kicks fire's but all over the pavement. Fire has...Tyrant Dragon, who goes in Dragon decks only....Lava Golem, who needs his own deck...Ultimate Obediant Fiend, who also needs his own deck....

Fire simply has no current support in the game, which is rather sad. You'd think Fire would lend itself to a really cool deck.

Anyway, that's my opinion on element decks. Hope this was educational.

[COLOR=#503F86]Moisture Creature's another Light elemental- with quite a nice effect if it's used properly, too.

Earth and Dark are my favourite themes personally- my main Deck's an Earth Beatdown (although it needs refining still).

Buster Blader's my favourite of the strong 2-Tribute Earth warriors. For a 7 Star monster, 2600 isn't that bad. With an equip card or two that can rocket to very nice amounts, especially if there are one or two Dragon-types in your opponent's Graveyard as well. It's the one I always use.

I'm glad you mentioned Hayabusa Knight, though- he's always been in my Deck and in the right situation he works immensely well. With an Axe of Despair and Gaia Power you have a 2500 ATK no-Tributes monster who can attack twice in the same turn. Pretty decent, if you ask me ^_^

I think Elemental Decks are easier to construct than the others- and although they're simple, they can be extremely effective.[/COLOR]

There's probably a lot of monsters I forgot to mention. Mositure Creature, even though being a Light monster (one of my favorite types), never seemed as effective as other Tribute monsters for a simple reason: if I'm going to tribute for a monster, *especially* a three-tribute monster, I'm going to have cleared the M/T field beforehand. I simply wouldn't use Mositure Creature.

So I forgot it. ^^; Turns out I also forgot to list Yata-Garatsu as well. ^^;;;

Among noticeable earth are also: Nimble Momonga, Mystical Sheep #1, Dream Clown, Hane-Hane/Man-Eater Bug, The magnet warriors, Cat's Ear Tribe, all the Amazons, Last Warrior, Gilasaurus, Rock Spirit, Robos, many jars, Mysterious Guard (an old favorite).

All in all, I consider earth to be the most versatile element. I mean, Dark can almost only be Beatdown or disruption, Water will be a ALO/Fisherman deck, and light will be a risky beatdown (or a troublesome theme deck with XYZ or fusions...), while wind and fire will be low-pewered beatdown.

Earth has a powerful potential of warriors, amazons, Gravity Bind, fusions and control all in one element, something I find rather hard to beat.

Go on and try to make a dark or light GB deck...

Oh well, that was my "IMHO" two cents

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i]
[B]Among noticeable earth are also: Nimble Momonga, Mystical Sheep #1, Dream Clown, Hane-Hane/Man-Eater Bug, The magnet warriors, Cat's Ear Tribe, all the Amazons, Last Warrior, Gilasaurus, Rock Spirit, Robos, many jars, Mysterious Guard (an old favorite).[/B][/QUOTE]

Okay...then Giant Germ, Versago the Destroyer, Newdoria, Penquien Soldier/Old Vindictive Magician, XYZ robots, Chess Demons, TER, Sinister Serpant, Dark Necrofear *and* Soul of Purity and Light, Robos, the most popular Jar, Wall of Illusion.

[B]All in all, I consider earth to be the most versatile element.[/B][/QUOTE]

And I consider it to be Dark.

[B]I mean, Dark can almost only be Beatdown or disruption, Water will be a ALO/Fisherman deck, and light will be a risky beatdown (or a troublesome theme deck with XYZ or fusions...), while wind and fire will be low-pewered beatdown.
[/B][/QUOTE]

What about Relinquished, Hand control, Dark Paladin, Suijin, Crab Turtle, fairy?

[B]Earth has a powerful potential of warriors, amazons, Gravity Bind, fusions and control all in one element, something I find rather hard to beat.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Warriors and Amazons are a variation of beatdown, and, except for Exiled Force, most of Earth's current control aspects are very lacking.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i][B]
Go on and try to make a dark or light GB deck...[/B][/QUOTE]

You mean...with White Magical Hat, Servant of Catabolism, Mucus Yolk, Swarm of Scarabs, Swarm of Locusts, Spirit Reaper, Des Koala, Cliff the Trap Remover, and, just to get Water in there, too, ALO/7 Colored Fish?

In other words, it can be done. =)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Circéus [/i][B]
Oh well, that was my "IMHO" two cents [/B][/QUOTE]

And that was mine. I'm standing by my opinions. Dark owns this game.

[QUOTE]You mean...with White Magical Hat, Servant of Catabolism, Mucus Yolk, Swarm of Scarabs, Swarm of Locusts, Spirit Reaper, Des Koala, Cliff the Trap Remover, and, just to get Water in there, too, ALO/7 Colored Fish?[/QUOTE]

To which I'll oppose All of the previously mentionned level3 (haya, exiled, nimble, crazy beast...), Border Wiseman, Sasuke Samurai, Hunter with 7 weapons, Inaba White Rabbit.

I've played a earth/GB deck for a while, back in february, I know what I'm talking about. I won't go further (don,t want to start an endless argument)

Well, first, Sasuke Samurai is a wind monster.

Earth may be the best element for a GB deck; I'm not an expert on them, so I'll take your word on it. However, GB is still only one type of deck.

I still believe that Dark is the strongest, most versitile element, followed by Light and Earth.

Dude, earth pwnz water all over. Its got the superior weenie support, lend it a Shocker, and some staples, you got an effective deck. It is the 2nd strongest element to dark. Lily anybody? OO;;

Dark is simply abused in this game, but without the releases of V-Lord and DDVD its control options are limited.

Wind is nothing right now, sure it has the rushers, but Wind support will come in excess of the releases of 306-308. So far it seems the only support is Sasuke Samurai, Dol Dora, and that's it.

Light is ok. It ain't second though. No rushers, in Dark Crisis, it'll get some good support monsters, but no rusher power. Dimensional Warrior Girl and Reflect Bounder are ok, but still nothing to gloat about.

Fire...good lord. 308 is out in Japan and still no fire support...good luck.

Water. Hmm...with the release of 307 water becomes DEADLY. WIth the releases of Leviadragon - Daidaros and other stuff, oh man...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G-Unit [/i]
[B]Dude, earth pwnz water all over. Its got the superior weenie support, lend it a Shocker, and some staples, you got an effective deck. It is the 2nd strongest element to dark. Lily anybody? OO;;[/B][/QUOTE]

Oops...^^; Earth was supposed to be third. A little Cut-&-Pasting error. ^^; *fixes*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by G-Unit [/i]
[B]
Light is ok. It ain't second though. No rushers, in Dark Crisis, it'll get some good support monsters, but no rusher power. Dimensional Warrior Girl and Reflect Bounder are ok, but still nothing to gloat about.[/B][/QUOTE]

First, Light *is* something to gloat about. It has a rusher that can't be used against you, and DD Warrior Lady is a semi-monster staple in Japan. Light brought us Magician of Faith, as well as the two most effective Fusions in the game.

Why do I rate it second? Messengers.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Solo Tremaine [/i]
[B][COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Guys, I'm all for healthy debate, but remember to keep it friendly, alright? If the arguments get any stronger I'll close the thread.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b] [/B][/QUOTE]

I apologize if I came off as harsh; I did not intend to. ^^; These are my opinions, and I've spent a while forming them, but I am interested in seeing other people's take on the subject; that's why I posted the thread.

Simple fact is, I gloat about my Light decks all the time; I'm probably not impartial on the subject.

[COLOR=darkblue]I totally agree with you DeathBug. Light Decks are something to gloat about, and will be even more so once Dark Crisis comes out. I mean honestly look at Mystical Knight Of Jackal, Chaos Command Magician, Airknight, and of course Kaiba's and my favorite card, Blue Eyes White Dragon. I mean the potential with Light decks is exponential, but then you might want to slap a Jinzo, WotBF, Sangan, and Cyber Jar, but Cyber Jar really doesn't count seeing as how it is used as a drawing card. But really a lot of the Light monsters are searchable, like Thunder Nyan Nyan, Jackal, and Airknight. But enough with my rant, I just agree, Light decks are something worth gloating about.[/COLOR]

Yes, the terribly frightening speed of those two-tribute monsters is terrifying -_-;; *dies of sarcasm*

Anyway, no kidding the DWG is a semi-staple. The Chaos Soldier Alpha and CED are crazy monsters, but they require decks focused around them, not elemental decks. The fact they need a consistent mixture of dark/light makes them completely independent of the elemental debate. Also, CED is dark, not light.

Without rusher strenth, light decks aren't in the zone just yet. Just because they have big high level monsters means nothing. In the Japanese game, they can make an impact with Blade Knight and the new Angel monsters, but in English they're hardly worth mentioning until Kaiser Seahorse comes out.

• 2 weeks later...
Kaiser Seahorse, as far as I remember from reading a spoiler, is a Level 4 monster with an ATK and DEF of 1600. It's effect reads (not literally; again, I'm translating this from memory), you may summon a Light-type Monster whose level is 7 or higher by offering only this monster as a Tribute.