OtakuBoards

the game is different from the series

Guest tachikawa03

Guest tachikawa03
why?
the characters have different names than the ones on the show
and there are extra charaters like mia and Kite who i have never seen on the show

and the events that happen are some what different and then theres that monster skieth... also ive never seen anyone gate hack or data drain... er well im not sure about the second part of that
why is it all so differenton the game its soo confusing

The games take place about 6 months after the TV show ended. The games merely continue with the storyline that relates to Morganna and Aura, instead of Tsukasa.

The TV shows and games are part of a seireis called "Project .Hack." That series spans three genres. The TV show was mystery, the games are action, and the manga is comedy. Each continues with the story, but in a unique way.

[color=orangered]The game is supposed to be different from the show. And they're both different from the manga, and the anime based on the manga. I know it's confusing, but it's also very in-depth if you look into it. The OVA also runs alongside the game, one takes place inside "The World" and the other takes place outside it.

Mia and Kite (and Elk ^_~) are all characters made especially for the PS2 version of "the World". I think it takes place several years later (or earlier O_o) and by that time Tsukasa's situation has been resolved (in whatever way - I haven't seen the series finish yet). He can't then go on to be in a game set years away from the show.

As for Data Drain and Gate Hacking, I think those are just elements that we can [i]assume[/i] were in the show but we never saw - and we take that suspended disbelief because those things were needed to make the game playable. They give the player challenges to accomplish. Besides, we didn't know any hackers in .hack//SIGN [spoiler]aside from Helba ^_~[/spoiler] - so we wouldn't have heard much about Gate Hacking or Data Drain - both of which are used by hackers, which Kite is forceably turned into at the start of the games.

Phew ^_^;; I'm done![/color]

Guest tachikawa03
oh well thanx for clearing that up..
sorry one more question... the dvd's that come with the games are from a series that ivolves "the world"... what exactly is it... is it a nother part of project.hack or part of the show .hack//sign?

[color=midnightblue]There are lots of "projects" in Japan. Normally a popular anime series is called such a thing, such as "Project Eva" and "Project .hack", for Evangelion and .hack respectively. These projects normally have a base item to purchase or watch, followed by add-ons to plot and character developement. Oftentimes a lot of the add-ons are just to milk some more money out of the franchise. Project Eva, for example, uses its television series as its basis, followed by video games and manga as additions to the series.

The .hack series, as Black_Phoenix mentioned, has the .hack games as the focal point of the franchise, with .hack//SIGN, .hack//LIMINALITY, and .hack//DUSK as the add-ons. There's also the card game and a couple of novels.

Project .hack is all one big story, but each series has different characters contributing to the whole franchise. SIGN is the prologue, the games are the body of the story, and DUSK is the epilogue. You could say LIMINALITY is an appendix to the games, in this context.

So Liminality is another part of project .hack, though it is related to .hack//SIGN in some ways.

Hope I cleared things up, or at the very least, confused you further.[/color]