OtakuBoards

Problems with Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic

Ani_Freak

[color=darkblue]Hello all!

I'm just having some troubles when I play SW:KOTOR. When a CG cinema plays, the image begins to jump, freeze and sometimes, the XBOX just shuts down and restarts. Mostly, what happens is whenever a CG cinema begins, the image begins to freeze and continue, freeze and continue.

I tried playing other games, but I don't get any problems with them, they play perfect. I've played DOA 3, BloodRayne, Soul Calibur 2, Halo, DOA:EBV, and many others, but the only problems I have is when I play SW:KOTOR.

I went to my local EB GAMES STORE and got a new KOTOR game, thinking that the game disc may be damaged, but to no avail. The problems keep manifesting even with a new game.

If anyone experiences this same problem or has an idea what the problem might be, please let me know.

Thanks in advance[/color]

[color=red]Ani_Freak[/color]

It could be lots of things really... However, it is important to note that the Xbox can come with one of three disc drives. If you got it recently you'll probably get the newer models that aren't that much of a problem, but before that the Xbox used a Thomson drive. Apparently it gives people some problems in KotOR and other random games.

Well, I bought my XBOX last year, so I beleive it has one of the drive models. Is there any way I could change the drive or do any modification to it to solve the problem? or should I trade in my XBOX for a newer model?

I really like KOTOR, and its a little annoying that the game keeps freezing everytime. In fact, one day I played and my character didn't even had a head. I played headless for like 4 hours, even though the game loads when you exit a level and enter another one.

Thanks again for the help. If the thread happens to be closed, PM me with any help.

To Mod: If you feel this topic should be closed, please do so. I understand this does not generate too much disscussion.

• 2 weeks later...
[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]I've had similar problems with KOTOR. I bought my Xbox December of last year, when you could get it with the dual-game disc. I bought KOTOR less than a month ago. The problems I've had have happened only about 3 times. The game freezes up while loading, or when I encounter an enemy. The latter, after I removed and reinserted the disc, put me back in an area [i]before[/i] I encountered said enemy. It also gave me a bunch of incoherent stats, like -1 XP gained, -1 Light Side point gained, -1 Dark Side point gained, etc.

It doesn't happen as continually as it does to you, but all I can advice is to save often, and just replay whatever part you were previously frozen in. It sucks, but it looks like the only way to keep playing, and the game is definitely worth playing all the way through.[/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
I dont think its the disk drive, I got my Xbox 3 days after it came out and it plays KOTOR flawlessly. I've heard of this bug before though, its not all that rare. What i've heard is that if it keeps freezing in the same place, then you have to restart your game. I mean start a new one. But if it happens occasionally just disregard it, and reload the save file...