OtakuBoards

Gundam Wing and Relena*asking for trouble*

Verykawaiineko

After recently re-watching the whole Shin Kido seki Gundam Wing series i became very confused..Why do people hate relena soo much. I wonder is it becasue she is so strong.she is certainly NOT the typical anime heroine. She worked for peace and truly loves Heero..really i dont think she was that strange or annoying... It eas true she was very spoiled at the beginning.but she certainly changed quite a bit through out the whole seried after witnessing so many tragedies. SHe grew up very quickly. She changed all of the Gundam Wing characters because of her Pacifisim and her determination. Im not saying that she was a perfect character but i think she is very misundertood.
If you are talking about relationships*something that GW is sorely lacking * i would go with the Relena and Heero paring rather than 1x2 or 3x1..i dont know why...its not that i dislike yaoi...*i love it to death* but it does not seem appropraite. The person who changed Heero the most was Relena. HE does not seeem too compatible with Duo and trowa..theres Quatre...I do not think that Heero would ever kill Relena, which is proven by the numerous amount of times he has saved her...so any comments? arguements ? love to hear them^__^

[B][SIZE=1]

*cough*belongingundamlounge*cough*

I don't see why so many anime fans can talk hours about a certain fictional character, that they say they dispize, but just can't stop discussing. (Thanks Jay and Silent Bob for that!) I don't hate Relena, the character, but I don't like the Series, so I can't comment fully.

But what I've seen from Relena, your right, and the fans are confusing. They say they want something new, fresh, and realistic for the femal anime character, they get it, and they hate it. So, I guess its just locked away in the mind of the indivdual fans.

[/B][/SIZE]

Heero will never kill Relena. (We pray and we pray, but nothing... *sigh*) Throughout the series, she is instrumental to peace as a figurehead for the people. However, the fact that I haven't shot you yet does not prove that we have a meaningful relationship. (Or _does_ it, dahling?) The very nature of Relena's feelings for Heero--posessive stalking and name-screaming, to name some-- indicate to me that she's more infatuated than truly in love. Blind adoration does not a happy couple make.

Heero, on the other hand, is focused enough on his (the colonies', really) goal of peace that he continually protects her and therefore ensures the eventual cease of war under her leadership, as she seems to be the only one capable, idealistic and willing enough to become the deplorably rare breed of selfless politician needed for the job. As an exceptionally emotionally repressed teenager, I doubt that our Perfect Soldier was doing any of the falling in love at first sight which seems to be Relena's lingering affliction. Basic understanding would probably rate above general affection on his list of psychological needs, and playing bodyguard to a sheltered princess who can't decide whether to denounce a gun or fire it is hardly a means of finding any kind of deep empathy. His fellow pilots, however, understand perfectly his most fundimental motications in only the way that comerades can, and even as their own respective types of flawed humans, share many of his basic needs simply by finding themselves pysically and mentally able to function in a role similar to his. That, of course, it why he's paired with them so often.

As to these pairings themselves, well, even the English dub makes it fairly obvious that Duo is interested in Heero, even if on the same infatuated level as Lady Peacecraft. Seeing as these two are fairly close to a point that implies possible intimacy, there may be soemthing there, and it would probably work ou well for them. 3x1, though, never clicked for me, mostly because Trowa and Heero struck me as possibly similar enough to perfect dysfunction as a couple. Long and silent evenings, yes... Besides the fact that no matter what the deal would end up being between Duo and Heero (and Relena), Trowa and Quatre are my penultimate ideal of a loving couple. I can't really see Trowa passing up a potential relationship like that to persue the only person in the entire series who may be less chatty than himself.

Lady Vice Foreign Minister _is_ misunderstood. She is seen as whiny, idealistic and occasionally hypocritical by a very large audience. In reality, she strikes me as slightly petulant, overly romantic in her view of humanity, and far too naiive and unrealistic to be leading a troop of Girl Scouts, much less guiding warring factions to peace. (The hypocrisy has become a side-issue.) At the start of the series, she's a deluded little daddy's girl with some serious posessiveness issues, but I agree that she grew up at a fanfastic rate throughout the series into something vaguely likeable, if purely for her determination and occasional displays of spunk and brilliance. I hope that this trend continues; for the cast's sanity, if not purely my own.

My reasons for disliking Relina are two-fold, partially her politics and partially her rather pitiful attempts at chasing after Heero.

That ideal of pacifism that Relina chases after seems stupid in light of what events go on in Gundam Wing, what with the deaths of Heero Yuy (the leader of the colonies), King Peacecraft, Relina's own father, as well as Marshal Noventa. It could be argued that once Relina became Queen things could have changed, but her failure to succeed in deflecting the White Fang's plans through dialogue alone showed that. In the end, politically, Relina turned into little but a rather dangerous symbol.

I also dislike Relina's chasing after Heero as she never seemed to manage to do anything or say anything of import whenever she succeeding in catching up to him. All she seemed to want to do was be near him, not have a formal relationship with him. In that respect I wholeheartedly agree with the opinion advanced earlier that Relina's relationship with Heero has more to do with infatuation than love.

[color=hotpink][size=1]Well, I've always been Pro-Relena and I as well have always wondered why people love to hate her. She's a decent girl, fighting for what she believes in, and stumbles upon her feelings for Heero along the way. She's young, so she doesn't really understand what love is, so she just does what she can. She truly cares for him, and it's obvious that he cares for her as well, despite all of his empty threats.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be near the person you love. Heero inspired Relena to be the person she was, and so not only was he an idol, but she had feelings for him. There is nothing wrong with that. I know that in the case of my own personal relationship, I love just being near him. Words do not even have to be spoken, it's just the prescense that is comforting.

I think all the people that are so Anti-Relena are really just jumping into some stupid bandwagon and are only that way because of what everyone is doing. And I think this because when you ask them why they hate her so much, their responses are always the same and are pretty stupid and shallow. I don't know, that's just my humble opinion.

And yes, I'm moving this to them Gundam forum.[/color][/size]

There are 2 groups of fans who don't like Relena.

The fangirls who only believe in the pairing of Heero and Duo or Heero with whichever boy don't like Relena. They think Relena is "on their way" for their perfect pairing. This is done intentional by the creator to attract female audiences.

There is another group of fans who doesn't like Relena. They are the one care so much about the story and character development. They view Relena as nothing but a "love interest" of the main character and she has no really value in the beginning. Then, in the later part when Relena becomes an important politcal influerence, she grows to even more unbelieveable as her development is too rapid and dramatic. The change in her doesn't fit her personality. One day she is willing to revenge for her father with a gun in her hand; as soon as she knows about her royal bleed, she starts preaching about peace. She seens to throw away everything about herself in the past and starts a new life of as a world leader. She is in school one day but suddenly, she can run a school and teach others about her father's ideal which she has only known for a few days. Is her really that clever to understand the idea of peace within a few days which takes years of her father's teaching? Again, it is intentional from the creator. Relena is very easily to relate to because she is the perfect female many females want to be. She can have power, love, compassion, influences and wearing pink and still be cheered by her followers.

• 2 weeks later...
As a supreme gundam fan and a girl, I can help you with your question. ^__^ I do not like Relena. It isn't as stupid as "she is messing with my 2x1 pair!!! I wanna kill her for it!!" Heh. I have never thought that. I think Relena is valuble to the show because it helps bring in a wider variety of people: from chicks to guys who want chicks with a bit of brains. She is powerful, loving, compassionate, and influential. I think the show would not have been as popluar without her. Every thing that Qukey said in the second paragraph of his/her last post is right.

I don't like her though. Although she does all I said up there I still don't like her. The main reason is her beliefs. I cannot stand pacifism. I think the creators made her seem a little silly with how she is such a hard-core pacifist but is in love with a war-machine. You could even go so far as to say (if you really wanted to get into feminist ideals) that the creators did that to show that women are indecisive and silly. And that women are unable to get past their feelings for men and think reasonably. You could also say they meant that women are willing to try anything before war. Heh. Now that is taking feminism strongly. I do NOT believe like that though. I think perhaps the creators meant to make her seem childish but that is about it. I do not think pacisfism works at all. So I do not like her because of her hard-core attitude on the subject. I find her to be childish in her manner, but I will give her some sophistication.
Don't know if that was what you wanted, but at least I tried. ^__^

~haze

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Verykawaiineko [/i]
[B]After recently re-watching the whole Shin Kido seki Gundam Wing series i became very confused..Why do people hate relena soo much. I wonder is it becasue she is so strong.she is certainly NOT the typical anime heroine. She worked for peace and truly loves Heero..really i dont think she was that strange or annoying... It eas true she was very spoiled at the beginning.but she certainly changed quite a bit through out the whole seried after witnessing so many tragedies. SHe grew up very quickly. She changed all of the Gundam Wing characters because of her Pacifisim and her determination. Im not saying that she was a perfect character but i think she is very misundertood.
If you are talking about relationships*something that GW is sorely lacking * i would go with the Relena and Heero paring rather than 1x2 or 3x1..i dont know why...its not that i dislike yaoi...*i love it to death* but it does not seem appropraite. The person who changed Heero the most was Relena. HE does not seeem too compatible with Duo and trowa..theres Quatre...I do not think that Heero would ever kill Relena, which is proven by the numerous amount of times he has saved her...so any comments? arguements ? love to hear them^__^ [/B][/QUOTE]

I hate her cause she made heero feel, and stop being this perfect warrior.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't really mind her. Her politics are a bit extreme, but total pacifism was the way she was raised. I happen to think that Heero has feelings for her, be they minute, I believe they're there. Relena has a strong will and is much braver than people usually give her credit for. I'm not a huge fan of her, but I do get sick of people complaining about her all the time. It strikes me as unfair. *shrugs* I do have to agree that she could have been written better.
~art~

I'm not really a big fan of Relena but I understand her reason for being infatuated/ in love with Heero. Relena has a overwhelming need to save mankind from destroying itself so naturally she feels she must save the lost hero from destroying himself.
As you get closer into the story anime or manga the relationship with Heero and relena get's closer. Into the manga there is a point where Heero does not confess his feelings to Relena but instaed acts on them
*blind target*

As for Duo he may act like he is close to Heero but only to an extent. The outwardness of Duo will only push Heero away.

Trowa and Quatre are close given the fact that neither of them feel quite whole. The both feel lost and often wonder why they pilot the heavyarms and sandrock.

Wu fei had once been married to a girl in his clan/tribe etc. who had piolted the "Nataku" or hence his dragon type gundam.
she had died in the process which forever changed Wu fei from bookworm to fighting for justice. he is most unlikely to find a parring because of his forever search to find atonment.

I hope this gives insight to the fact that relena may be annoying and agravating but she is only infatuated with heero because of her overwheling desire to save him.

Wow..i totally forgot about this topic...now that i think about it so many misconceptions on characters are based on fan fiction...which "inspires" others who have never watched the show to say that they hate a particular character...really most of the fangirls i know probably have not seen most of Gundam Wing..(it gets tedious for a while in the middle) but they simply based thier opinions off of 1x2 craxed fans....so in the end..DONT SAY YOUR A FAN IF YOUVE NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW...

Megumi momo, that was really well put. I especially agree with the Wufei stuff. It bugs me when fangirls try to set him up with Sally. There's really no relationship potential there. *shakes head* There's also no real potential in the 1x2 department. Duo is definitely too much Heero. (He always reminded me of Michealangelo from the Turtles...) Heero's too quiet and serious to really work well with Duo. He'd probably kill Duo, if he hit on Heero.

• 2 weeks later...