OtakuBoards

Who captured Saddam?

The Original

Who really captured Saddam Hussein? News has been circulating over the web for the last few days with stories that the Kurds really captured Saddam, and left him at a dropoff point for U.S. forces. Here's a quote from [u]www.theaustralian.news.com.au[/u]. You can find the whole page here.

[URL=http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8233746%255E401,00.html]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8233746%255E401,00.html[/URL]

[quote] SADDAM Hussein was found by US troops only after he had been taken prisoner by Kurdish forces, drugged and abandoned ready for American soldiers to recover him, a British newspaper reported yesterday.

Saddam came into the hands of the Kurdish Patriotic Front after being betrayed to the group by a member of the al-Jabour tribe, whose daughter had been raped by Saddam's son Uday, leading to a blood feud, reported the Sunday Express, which quoted an unnamed senior British military intelligence officer.

The newspaper said the full story of events leading up to the ousted Iraqi president's capture on December 13 near his hometown of Tikrit in northern Iraq, "exposes the version peddled by American spin doctors as incomplete".

A former Iraqi intelligence officer, whom the Express did not name, told the paper that Saddam was held prisoner by a leader of the Kurdish Patriotic Front, which fought alongside US forces during the Iraq war, until the leader negotiated a deal.

The deal apparently involved the group gaining political advantage in the region. [/quote]

What do you think of this? Do you care, are you outraged? Personally, I'm a little ticked, and I wouldn't put it past The Chimp to try something as underhanded as this. We captured him?Another lie for his fake war. Well, I want to know what [u]you[/u] think about this.

*P.S.* I am aware there was a previous Saddam Hussein thread a few days back, but I'm pretty sure that thread and this one have different content. If I'm wrong, well, you know what to do Mods.

Really it wouldn't surprise me. George Bush had troubling rallying support for the war to begin with, and would be looking for a reason to make the war legitimate. The capture of Saddam did that. It's even more ironic that more US Soldiers were killed [i]after[/i] the war though, in the supposed peace time.

I don't believe it. The way that Bush has been undermined by the media at every single turn of his Precidency, you can't tell me that several American news sources wouldn't jump at the chance to make him look bad again.

It doesn't make sense that Saddam would be in the hands of mortal enemies who wouldn't kill him. Unless, o course, they wanted coalition forces to find him to oprovide them with political strength, in which case they support US military action in Iraq, which would actually back Bush's claim that the Iraqi's want Saddam to be ousted and the US/British coalition to establish a democratic government.

I am a bit ticked that the US military is being pegged as so incompetant that they need to have Saddam drugged and bound to be able to capture him. [sarcasm]Of course, the US military is a bunch of incompetants who couldn't find Saddam on their own[/sarcasm] Gahh.

[color=royalblue]I find it difficult to believe that a group of Kurds would not slay Saddam on sight after finding him. Not only is he the one responsible for the mass murder of thousands of their people, he also sorta....raped a few of their women. It would make more sense if the US found his corpse rather than got him handed to them in a basket.

I see this as nothing more than a media scam to make Bush look worse in the public eye than he already does. The Democractic party would like nothing better than to see him crash and burn. As if demoralizing the troops already in Iraq wasn't enough.[/color]

[color=#707875]I pretty much agree with everyone here. It doesn't surprise me that someone in the media is trying to expose "American Spin Doctors", either. To me, it comes across as yet another unfounded rumor that people will probably immediately take to heart and use as further ammunition against America in these kinds of debates.

In addition, this newspaper should not be so quick to cite Iraqi intelligence officials. Several of them have already lied about various things (including locations of individuals as well as certain events). So some of them are already proven to be highly untrustworthy.

In any case, I'd really rather not bring up yet [i]another[/i] Saddam thread. It's going to get filled with even more conspiracy theories and we'll get back to some silly discussion like "Is Saddam a coward?"

That's not particularly your fault, TO, it's just that these threads tend to get hijacked by the usual suspects.[/color]