OtakuBoards

Web comic characters

wiccansamurai

These are the characters to a web comic I'm making.

There's the main character, Emi. She's the only one with a name right now. She's too skinny, too. Serves me right for not using reference ;) But I love the school uniform I designed.
[URL]http://www.deviantart.com/view/4441891/[/URL]

This is the antogonist. His arms look funny.... Yet again, shame on me for the lack of photo refernce.
[URL]http://www.deviantart.com/view/4441907/[/URL]

This is one of Emi's friends.
[URL]http://www.deviantart.com/view/4441927/[/URL]

And this is another one of her friends. He's not shaded at all and this is a really rough sketch of him. I can't decide on wether or not he should have glasses. What do you think?
[URL]http://www.deviantart.com/view/4441948/[/URL]

Tell me what you think about them. I know that the anatomy is mostly off.

Hrm, yeah, you're right about the anatomy. Fortunately, there is a wonderful invention which will save the life of any artist of the human form - that being, a little wooden mannequin. I don't mean the clothes ones, I obviously mean the small artist's ones. Trust me, they're the most fantastic things for learning form and proportion after your own personal model. If you shop around, you can get one for the equivalent of 5-7 English pounds - you really shouldn't need to spend too much if you look for a cheap one.

Here and now, a few pointers - firstly, make the feet larger so that they support the weight of the body better. The limbs need more muscle and curve to them. I'd also shorten the necks so that they appear to support the heads more. The attention to details like costume and so forth are great for the purpose of creating character individuality, though, and I can see a good grip of the relation between the animated character and their personality. The antagonist certainly looks suitably greasy ^_^. I think that once you get proportions correct (heh, I know I haven't, but it's worth knowing how limbs basically interrelate, which I believe you already have a light grasp of in some cases), you'll do some great work.

I wonder how long it takes the guys to get dressed with all those frogs to "button." Remove a few for their sakes. ^^
I also tend to draw the torso too long, and I try to envision where the characters' ribcages end and hips would begin. I agree with Pyro about their feet, unless you were going for the Chinese foot binding look. Broaden the girls' shoulders, too. Generally speaking, most people's elbows end right above where the hips begin, right at that curve in the waist if the arm is held straight down. The fingertips usually end a little more than halfway down the thigh if held straight. Kind of eyeball it. The legs are fair game in anime. It helps if you draw from some photographs and get a good idea of the human anatomy.
Great job on distinctly different characters. You can almost distinguish their personalities.

I found a wooden mannequin for $6.50 at Wal-Mart, gave it to my friend for her birthday because she complained she couldn't draw in proportion and her sister was tired of posing for her. Of course, she had more fun putting it in ridiculous poses than actually using it to draw with...

I went to hobby lobby to try to find one with my sister's employee's discount, but they didn't have any. I have to dig up her old anatomy book she says doesn't exist... I still have a long way to go, but thankfully this s a lot better than I have done. If only I could get someone to pose for me.... ^.^