OtakuBoards

Noir

Darkness

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gettles [/i]
[B]Actually the relationship between Merille and Kirika could be argued either way, one major arguement that it is a yuri is in [spoiler] Kirika's letterto Mirille in I beleve episode 23.[/spoiler] but on the other hand, you can argue against it, pointing out [spoiler] Mirille telling Kirika to avoid getting too close to others after that Czech guy is killed in the attempt on Kirika's life.[/spoiler] Either way though, I think that wether or not the two are like that is not important and really such things are not important considering the tone of the seires. [/B][/QUOTE] Nyah, you didn't think I would, but I finally got around to checking out the episode in question. There's nothing of a yuri/lesbian nature within that letter. It gives off a "[spoiler]this might be goodbye forever, so thank you for everything[/spoiler]" vibe. You'd have to stretch and distort that message quite a bit to make it anything else.

[spoiler]Mirielle telling about not getting close to anyone is because of their line of work. It's even justified when the guy dies and she says that this is why you shouldn't get close to anyone[/spoiler]. The yuri/lesbian relationship's importance is nonexistant simply because the concept or possibility is nonexistant.

• 2 months later...
Guest ScirosDarkblade
I've only watched the first DVD of this show so far. I am wondering whether you feel there's any closure at the end of the series. I don't mind if they leave some things unexplored as long as they don't linger in my mind (though they usually do, I guess). I like the music so far, except for that goddamn pocketwatch music. That stuff annoys the hell out of me.

Hey, since everyone says it's a pretty simple anime, do there end up being many loopholes? If it's one thing I can't stand, it's mistakes in the plot.

[QUOTE=ScirosDarkblade]I've only watched the first DVD of this show so far. I am wondering whether you feel there's any closure at the end of the series. I don't mind if they leave some things unexplored as long as they don't linger in my mind (though they usually do, I guess). I like the music so far, except for that goddamn pocketwatch music. That stuff annoys the hell out of me.

Hey, since everyone says it's a pretty simple anime, do there end up being many loopholes? If it's one thing I can't stand, it's mistakes in the plot.[/QUOTE]
The series definitely has an end. A lot of business gets taken care of by then. I always liked the music-box styled theme (goes by the name of "melodie") because it signals business getting taken care of.

I can't pinpoint any plot mistakes. I watch anime for the characters and scenes anyway, so I don't really share your concerns.

It's kind of too bad that the topic includes questions about Noir as a first-time anime. It scatters the critical response to the series. I say no, it's not good for a first-time viewer - the show is too violent. It doesn't represent or take advantage of a broad range of what is possible in anime the way a Ghibli/Miyazaki movie does.

People seem to find fault or favor with basically the same things about this series, which is a sign of this being a "love-or-hate" anime. I thought it was one of the stronger offerings of 2001. It is rather ambitious and pulls off most of what it sets out to do.

To me the plot is just big enough to cover the 2-4 important characters while also creating a sense of scale. I like the way the show gives off an illusion of bigness and importance (by means of the worldwide locations and the "ancient tradition" of the Maidens with Black Hands) but revolves around Kirika and Mireille.

I think the "big question" of the relationship between the two leads is handled very well and fits their characters. The characterization is rich and is given a lot of space in the series - which again points to the skillful use of a very small cast.

The production values are impressive. There is a ritualistic use of the music and dialogue which supports the mood of the show - and mood is one of the show's strengths. Again, this seems to be a love-or-hate type of series but I think it has a lot to offer.

I LOVE Noir. I dont have all of it yet but Im up to volume 6 of 7 and Ill have hte rest probably by next month. Anyway, Im a BIG fan of slow paced complex plot/story animes focusing on a lot of character development and atmosphere. NOir is exactly that kind of anime and it is of course way up on my favorite list. Its definitely NOt for everyone though. No way in hell will such slow paced anime like Noir and .hack appeal to hte legions of action anime fans out there. But then again, they have a lot of other stuff to choose from, which is what makes anime so great. So much variety. Anyway, Ive only SEEN up to volume 3, but I recently got 4, 5, and 6 and have yet to view them. Chloe is a really awesome character.

I'd say that Noir is a nice, deep anime. Very melancholic and dark at points. Plus, it gives some view of a life being shunned and forgotten. But, because it's so deep into the dark emotions, it wouldn't be a good starter anime. People might get the wrong idea and say that anime is just for the mentally ill or something. (Something that this one girl said to me.) A good starter anime would be something cheery or interesting like Inuyasha or Cowboy Bebop. Maybe, a little weird like Excel Saga...

Excel Saga would turn people off of anime forever. Definitely not a good starter. Maybe Bebop could work. I watched volumes 4,5 of Noir yesterday and the story has really REALLY taken off to a very interesting direction. and now that Im in deep spoiler territory I cant say a lot about whats oging on, but its all starting to make sense. I only hope it continues this brilliance until the very end of the series. Even if the ending is aletdown though, I still enjoyed the show. the music is also incredibly cool.

I enjoyed watching Noir. If you are looking for high action, lots of explosions and the like this is not the anime for you. I like the series because of the drama, music and the overall feel of the storyline. It is more of a mystery/drama than anything else in my opinion. My favorite episode is the "mad tea party" that the girls have. It is not full of action, I felt it was a good character developement episode.

As for starter animes I would tailor it to fit the tastes of the viewer. If the person you are introducing anime too enjoys action/adventure then find an anime that fits that theme. If you have a theme they like, they may be more open to watching (and enjoying) the anime.

• 4 months later...
Guest ScirosDarkblade
Noir's greatest strength is its music, by far. The animation and voice acting are certainly decent, but the character design is painfully generic (even with Chloe).

I wasn't thrilled by the plot. Not only does it develop extremely slowly, but the delivery is plagued by repetitive flashbacks which add absolutely no new revelations. It's simply bad storytelling.

Still, I enjoyed watching it for the most part, if only because it was different from other anime (it's mystery/action, but it has no supernatural or fantasy elements).

I found it interesting that the makers of the show were so proud of their attention to detail when it came to weapons. I found this laughable, because not only do I not care in the least what model gun Kirika or Mireille use, but it added absolutely nothing to the story. And considering there was an utter lack of attention to detail anywhere else in the show, it only made me question the priorities of the series' creators. But oh well.

In addition, the show takes tons of "anime shortcuts" when it comes to the animation. Not quite as many as certain portions of Evangelion, perhaps, but... nevermind. More. Way more. Considering there's a grand total of like 3 hours of flashbacks to one or two scenes alone, it's way more. Freaking Noir...

In short, it's an ok show. I mostly wasn't disappointed by it (although certain scenes that could've had tons of killer action were instead just Kirika running around aiming in random directions with the bad guys missing every shot and falling dead, which was disappointing), although I wouldn't recommend purchasing any of it. Not a single DVD. Borrow a friend's set or rent the series (or whatever).

• 10 months later...
What up I just finished watching this series. I bout the box set and it was well worth it. It definetly definetly Knocked .Hack from my second place favorite anime and took its spot. Noir was a master piece in my opinion I loved it. What about yall?:animesmil

Yea. well It was kinda slow but didnt matter to me i am patient. I dont really knwo if Noir is a starter kit for New watchers. You definetly gotta hit people strong like i did with my friend. I sayd. Watch "Evangelion" first so it captures them quickly. She now is an Anime freak just like me haha. In my Opinion i loved the Music it was nice. The fighting music is ridiculous just gets me amped. It was very well done, not to much and not to little in the plot. My favorite character is definetly Mirielle she is a star. Haha Thanks for your reply fellaz good to know all yall opinions on Noir.