Dagger

Do you download anime?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download anime?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but only unlicensed shows.
    • I would ifI could.
    • Absolutely not.

[quote name='maladjusted][color=firebrick]It doesn't matter whether is it's not liscnened in the US or not: you're still [b]robbing[/b'] the company of it's DVD sales and whatnot because most anime eventually get their way to the US.[/color][/quote]

Actually, the majority of anime never receives any kind of North American release. Even popular shows like Slam Dunk! can often go unlicensed, and the only way to acquire them is by either buying bootlegs, paying incredible amounts of money to import the R2 Japanese DVDs (which won't even work on American DVD players), or slowly downloading and burning them, episode by episode.

Obviously none of these are ideal solutions, but downloading is definitely the easiest (not to mention cheapest) thing to do. If Peace Maker Kurogane is never licensed, I may cry, but at least I'll have my fansubs to fall back on.

~Dagger~

I download MP3s off of Shareaza all the time, and even copy them to CDs for my own personal use. Well, it's like an addiction (excuse me is anyone has said this already), no matter how wrong it is, I can't stop. Kinda like a drinker that WANTS to stop but just can't. But, on the flip side, I only own about 10 songs, a far cry from those who download, this is a real number of someone I know, 957 mp3s. I don't fanaticize about it, but I'm not saying that justifies it. o_o; Wow. An entire paragraph that has NOTHING to do with the subject, or very little...
Anyway, I haven't downloaded any anime, cartoon, movies, TV shows, anything. This is mainly because it is VERY HARD to find free versions, or the program you need to download does. If there are free versions of anime...nvm.
::goes on Shareaza

1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?

Well yeah, I do think it's wrong, but I live in the UK, and regarding obtaining anime it's a pretty poor place to be, there are some decent dvd's yes but most aren't released here. Buying dvd's from Japan is also way to expensive, I was interested in buying Hajime No Ippo dvd's after downloading and watching the show's and I was disgusted with the price.....

£35 per dvd (around $55-$60) 3 episodes per dvd, 76 episodes in the series, 1 movie, 1 ova (so far) now tell me how many UK'ers can afford to but the series?

I'm just thankful that Pioneer (I think it's Pioneer) have bought the rights to it and are releasing the dvd's in the US (under the name "Fighting Spirit" which isn't what Hajime No Ippo stands for (The Next Step) but.....whatever) which means I can at least buy the dvd's at a decent price (around £15-£20 per dvd) which as you can see is far more preferable

Downloading is still wrong though, licensed or unlicensed but people still do it, including myself

2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?

I buy dvd's anyway, not downloading show's wouldn't really make a difference

3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?

I don't think so, otherwise they would have released more products lol

Oh my gawd! £35?! But, considering it's a fairly good anime (in my eyes, anyway) it's not the MOST far-fetched price. Beats $75 per DBGT...yes, here they ask that much for anime of all kinds, given they sell Pokemon DVDs for around $13 which makes it 'reasonable' to sell other anime for high prices...

I HAVE to get out of Montana.