Dagger

Do you download anime?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you download anime?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but only unlicensed shows.
    • I would ifI could.
    • Absolutely not.

If you plan on posting here, make sure that you're familiar with OB's [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules.[/URL] I don't want [i]anybody[/i] to talk about how one might download anime, or about where to find the latest shows. Instead, this topic is intended to cover the ethical questions raised by the sharing of free fansubs.

As I'm sure you're all aware, downloading music (via any program) has long been the subject of heated debate. And though acquiring illegal mp3s is no less immoral than stealing music from a brick-and-mortar store, people continue to do it. Why? Because sitting behind their monitors offers them a sense of safety; because they probably won't get caught, and because they ultimately couldn't give a crap about the artists' welfare. To put it less politely, most downloaders are motivated primarily by selfishness and greed.

People who download fansubs--whether licensed or unlicensed--cannot claim to be any different. But in spite of this, fansubs present a more complicated issue than domestic mp3s. Their distribution may actually benefit the company which eventually purchases the series in question, although this, like many of the points I plan on raising, is highly debatable.

I'll kick things off with three simple questions.

1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?

2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?

3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?

For the record, I [i]do[/i] use the Internet to obtain and watch unlicensed shows. Bear that in mind as you read over my comments, which might otherwise sound overly harsh.

~Dagger~

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR="#004a6f"]Oh great, now you've made me feel guilty, but to answer your three questions:[SIZE=2][list=1]
[*]I don't really think downloading animé is too immoral, because the artists are probably swimming in money anyway. And for the animé to actually get on the computer somebody had to buy the DVD or video in the first place, and then they just put a less valuble version on the computer. You can't really compare downloading illegal multimedia to actually stealing from a store. Most people who download probably can't offord the DVDs, which can have blazingly high prices, or maybe they missed an episode of their favorite animé on T.V, and just want to watch that particular episode. That's usually the case for me.
[*]I don't think I would buy DVDs if I didn't download animé. Although I am a big fan, I am a very frugal person and don't spend alot of money on entertainment. There are more important things in life you see.
[*]I don't think foreign animé companies are aware of how popular fansubs are. Otherwise, stores would be loaded with merchandise of animé series that haven't even been dubbed yet.[/list][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[b]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/b]
A lot of it depends on circumstance. For example, if an anime is unlicensed, not only is it legal, but beneficial to the companies promoting it in the West. They rely on fansubs to increase awareness of a show, giving them people who want to buy the dubbed version as soon as it becomes available. You scratch my back... kind of philosophy.

[b]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/b]
Nope, I'd buy less. I tend to download one or two episodes of series before I go out to buy them - it's very rare I just go out and blow my money. (I've got such bad sense I regret it later ~_~) So, yeah, I'd buy less if I didn't download.

[b]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/b]
[B]A.)[/B] Yes - to see if it's worth picking it up to dub it.
[B]B.)[/B] As I said in #1, fansubbing groups help the circulation of various series. And let's be honest - if [i]nobody's[/i] subbed it, they didn't think it was worth their time... why should it be worth mine?

But here's another burning question ^_~ Is it okay to download [b]dubbed[/b] episodes if you intend to make a music video out of it? Say you heard there were [i]great[/i] fighting scenes in episode 6, so you download it to use the bits in your music video - having no intention to ever go and buy the DVDs. What do people think of those ethics?

My apologies, Chabichou. I never intended to guilt-trip you or anybody else. But I do feel rather strongly about this subject, and I like learning about others' points of view.

Many, many people justify downloading mp3s by saying that the musicians "are probably swimming in money anyway." While this argument [i]may[/i] apply to artists like Madonna or Linkin Park, it doesn't translate well to the world of Japanese animation. Anime, despite its increasing popularity, is still a niche market. I don't know whether the dubbing and DVD business is paticularly lucrative, and I couldn't tell you if ADV and Geneon are less profitable than the average American record company. All the same, I suspect that every single sale helps. The more legal DVDs are bought, the more anime will be licensed and released outside of Japan.

Braidless Baka, I agree with your assessment of the importance of unlicensed fansubs. However, I've heard that Western companies don't follow fansub distribution quite as closely as everyone seems to think. I'll double-check this and try to find some reliable sources before my next reply.

No, I don't think it's alright to download dubbed episodes solely for the sake of making a music video. If you love the show that much, you should support it by buying it on DVD.

~Dagger~

The mp3 argument is a moot point, anyway, since most musicians make the bulk of their money from touring, rather than record sales. The actual record companies are the ones who profit from record sales.

Besides, most musicians aren't "swimming in money," anyway; those are just the few who've broken out into the mainstream.

Since I'm posting, I might as well answer the questions, heh.

[b]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/b]

I agree with Braidless Baka, a lot of it depends on circumstance. If a fansub of an unlicensced anime gets distributed around the internet and gains some good popularity, it can really only mean good things for companies who could potentially license it; it all boils down to fansubs being, basically, free advertising.

And, I think, the downloading of licensed anime can really only be justified if you went out and bought the series afterwards, but I don't know how many people actually do that.

[b]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/b]

Well, I don't really buy many DVDs, anyway, so I can't really answer that question lol.

[b]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/b]

It would be wise for them to pay attention to this stuff, I think. If a fansub gets popular, you can be assured that [i]someone[/i] would want to capitalize on that popularity.

[COLOR=DARKBLUE]Well, honestly, I never download any mp3, even less movies for my own use. The most I download are trailers or programs, of course, freeware. I tend to buy everything, music or DVD, or buy online music, say iTunes. I have a business, and I would most cenrtainly not like the idea that there are costumers getting goods I carry and not paying for them.

[b]1) Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/b]

I beleive that morally and ethically, it is wrong. Just imagine being in the artists shoes, would you like people getting your music, your work, without taking in consideration that such artist lives(in most ocassions) from that, and it pays it's bills? Sure, they can get rich, but alas, a person with a good job, trading stocks, and dealing investments can have finacial freedom too. Is another job, another form of getting ahead in life, and a very profitable one at that.

[b]2) Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/b]

I buy most DVD's, I don't download them. Besides, I think that buying them won't lessen downloading. You buy and download, and I know many people like this. If they can't find it for download, they buy it. Is like buying from two different stores, but you are stealing from one instead of buying.

[b]3) Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/b]

I beleive so. Remember, they have to keep an eye on what the consumers like, what are they into at the moment, and what they would love to see. Is knowing their market, and I strongly beleive that music/movie companies keep an eye open and constantly investigate this type of situations, illegal or not.[/color]

[color=crimson]Well, I wouldn't be buying the anime if I didn't know how it was first. Waiting for a recommended show to come out at blockbuster or play on Cartoon Network is just not working. If I download any anime it is always maybe the first two episodes for a sample of the show. If I like it, I add it to my wishlist, find it on Ebay or discountanimedvd.com, and delete the files. It does make me feel alittle bad, but unlisenced animes are really hard to find, and even harder to find with good quality subs, audio, visual, etc.

[i]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/i]

It really depends. If you have looked everywhere for a certain anime and cannot find anything except downloads, what would you do? Download the fansubs, right? I guess some circumstances make it wrong. I always wonder how much it costs to make the DVDs or VHSs, is it as much as they charge for the consumer? What is the percent of increase? I don't know, I don't really care. Retail, wholesale, blah...it doesn't make it any easier for me to continue my obsession of anime.

[i]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/i]

I'd probably get the same amount. One or two every Christmas. My mother won't let me use her credtit card online for discount, and I don't have enough to buy the retail. At least I'm not addicted to something more harmful, like cigarettes (no offense to anyone who is).

[i]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/i]

They don't really seem to be doing so. America is concentrating on the music industry. I don't see the TV industry doing any less successful because of anime fansubs. O_o I don't really pay attention to current events, so I may be wrong. I think there have been complaints on the fansubs, but none that have been big enough to catch my attention or any of my other anime watching friends.

I download unlicensed and some lisenced anime. Sometimes it makes me feel guilty and Dagger made me feel even more guilty (don't worry about it though). I wish my mother would be a little more openminded and allow me to buy anime when I wish. Just because she and PayPal don't get along, doesn't mean I have to suffer. u_u If she would let me have access to my account, I would probably have more anime, but I am way too conservative, so I may not have more. I get $20 a week to last me through lunch and other stuff. If I buy lunch everyday, it costs me $15 dollars a week. I spend about five a week. Then I either skip lunch or bring it. $15 bucks for me to spend and my mom won't let me give it to her and use her credit card to buy anime online. >sighs< She'll put it in my account though. Downloading or renting the few animes at BlockBuster are my only sources of new anime.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

[B]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/B]
'Yes' if you are downloading licensed material. Have patience and be fair. I realize that downloading is very tempting for two main reasons: costs and availability. For me, I only download shows that have not been licensed and are still airing in Japan.

[B]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/B]
Probably not. I view the downloaded shows as a 'sampler.' If I enjoyed what I watched, then yes--I'd make it legal!

However, I've also bought DVDs of shows that I DIDN'T download.

[B]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/B]
'Yes.' I honeslty think that the popularity of a fansubbed show determines whether or not the will be licensed and shown on TV.

Guest StrangeOne
I think that P2P downloading is a good idea that is just used incorrectly.

1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?

The only reason I've downloaded any anime, is because Im not gonna go out and buy something I havn't seen. Usualy I just get an episode, and if I like it, I'll go get it.. If not, then i wont. But even If I do like it most of the time I can't go buy it for a month or so because no one around my hometown sells anime, I have to drive 65 miles to get to the nearest place that sells anime.

Nope, If I don't see a little of it, or hear it's good from one of my friends then I wont want to go way out of my way to get it.

3.Im sure they pay some attention to them, it seems that would be a good way to decide if they should be licensed or not.

[quote name='Dagger IX1']1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong? [/quote]
Im kinda 50/50 on that subject. Of course its wrong since your receiving copyrighted material that you didnt pay for. Plus the fact that most of the time you usually get the fansubs from places that got them illegally as well.

The reasons i think its alright is because most of the time, anime is way over priced. Most stores sell series of anime that just came out for $24 (or $19 for a separate movie from a series an ex. being Cowboy Bebop the movie) while anime that has been on DVD and released for a while is around $29. Thats kinda pricey since some of the DVD's well have only 3 episodes on it compared to others that have 5. So in a way i d/l anime to like balance it out a little, lol come on honestly is it such a crime to get my moneys worth in a different form???

[quote name='Dagger IX1']2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows? [/quote]
HaHa i like this question Dagger. Actually the only reason i dont buy more anime like once a week is strictly because of the cost of the DVD's. If they just lowered the amount to like a fixed rate at like $22 then that would be fine. These companies are making a killer profit anyway so i wish they would lower the prices.

[quote name='Dagger IX1']3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series? [/quote]
Yes most of the fansubs ive been finding lately have spanish dialogue. I find it rather unique but it doesn't really matter to me...just as long as the subtitles are legible.

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=blue]pbfrontmanvdp, for a small sacrifice (your mailbox, thrown into the fires of massive[/color][color=blue] spam), anime DVD prices online can get pretty cheap... Hey, you give a little, you get a little (most of the spam gets caught by filters anyway)...[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][QUOTE][font=Georgia][size=2][color=#000000]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE] [/color][/size][/font][font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][b]Yes/No[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff]Neither from an legal nor ethical standpoint is downloading unlicensed anime wrong. Do you know how hard it is to go overseas and sue someone who lives under a different goverment and legal system? A little easier than Senny getting a date - just [i]a little [/i]easier.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff]Ethically, you have to ask yourself if you are truly "stealing" anything, which also depends on the source. Is this show airing on Japanese TV? Would it be illegal for you, a foreigner, to go over to Japan and watch anime? Is downloading anime that is on Japanese Television any different from you sitting next to a Japanese friend and him/her translating the show to you as it airs? "Certainly, this is nonsense."[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff]Also, even when it is licensed, do you want to wait a year (or more) to complete an entire series? The distribution time for a 26-part saga is ridiculous. Additionally, making a DVD backup takes forever, and your computer goes into cardiac arrest while the ripping is in progress. Ripping an entire series could take well up to two weeks (if you want it done right and with a fair retention of quality). So, it's a welcome thing when fansubbers create DVD backups free for distribution.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2]There is an evil side to fansubs, though. It's called elitism, and it's more frequent in people who watch fansubs than those who buy or watch official versions. In the sense that fansubs are indirectly responsible for creating this elitist ideology, fansubbing is wrong.[/size][/font]

[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][QUOTE][color=#000000]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/color][/QUOTE] [b]No[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff]The only DVDs (not just anime DVDs) I've purchased as of this writing are .hack//SIGN, Noir, and Last Exile (1st DVD). I plan to purchase Hellsing and Haibane Renmei in this year, and the rest of Last Exile next year. What do these anime's all have in common? I saw them on fansub first.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][QUOTE][font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][color=#000000]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/color] [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE][b]Yes[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff]Well, they certainly aren't pulling anime out of a hat.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Georgia][size=2][color=#0000ff][b]EDIT[/b]: as for anime music and OSTs, I prefer buying the domestic version for two reasons: 1. it usually holds a greater $$$ value than it's imported counterpart (although I'm not sure why), and 2. Having OSTs with a domestic presentation gives it a more official feel. So, I'm not going to buy import soundtracks if there's a good chance they are going to be brought over, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit and wait. [/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][font=Georgia][size=2][color=blue]pbfrontmanvdp, for a small sacrifice (your mailbox, thrown into the fires of massive[/color][color=blue] spam), anime DVD prices online can get pretty cheap... Hey, you give a little, you get a little (most of the spam gets caught by filters anyway)...[/color][/size][/font]
[/QUOTE]True, but i can't stand buying anything off of the internet. From past experiences, my parents have gotten ripped off by someone finding out my mom's credit card #. I sucked cause we almost lost about 2 grand from some low life that doesn't have anything else to do but steal from others. You are right though, anime online usually can get down to like $13 to $15, which isn't that bad.

[quote name='Chabichou][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR="#004a6f"]And for the animé to actually get on the computer somebody had to buy the DVD or video in the first place, and then they just put a less valuble version on the computer.[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]

That's actually untrue. Most fansubbers acquire raw episodes from Japanese HDTV, which has astonishingly good audio and video. Although the majority of series later make it onto DVD, few groups bother to re-rip them--particularly since high-quality fansubs are already available through the distribution program of their choice.

[QUOTE=Shinmaru]I agree with Braidless Baka, a lot of it depends on circumstance. If a fansub of an unlicensced anime gets distributed around the internet and gains some good popularity, it can really only mean good things for companies who could potentially license it; it all boils down to fansubs being, basically, free advertising.

And, I think, the downloading of licensed anime can really only be justified if you went out and bought the series afterwards, but I don't know how many people actually do that.[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you brought this up, Shinmaru. When used correctly, fansubs are indeed a form of free advertising. Naruto, which hasn't even been licensed yet, is already one of the most popular anime in America. Nearly everyone has heard of it, and its fan base rivals that of shows like Inuyasha and Sailor Moon. At the same time, I find myself wondering whether every single person who professes to love the series would buy its domestic DVDs (whenever they are released).

In the past few weeks, I have downloaded and watched episodes of shows that I would never dream of buying. They initially sounded appealing, but turned out to be less than satisfactory. If, however, they were available on DVD, I might have risked a blind purchase in order to appease my curiousity.

I've also fallen in love with several series that, based on multiple reviews and other sources, sounded somewhat unpromising. I can't wait for these anime to be released on domestic DVD, and I won't hesitate to spend exorbitant amounts of money to acquire them.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?

This is a pretty relative question. If the show is licensed, then it's most definately *illegal*, however, there is always the argument that DVDs are grossly overpriced (unless you buy them ripped). This especially applies to anime (or, more generally, imported from Japan) DVDs. The most frequent price range I have seen for licensed, legal, DVDs is from $35-60. I find this utterly rediculous.
I, myself, do purchase a fair amount of DVDs, though I wont jump to buy something over $25, mainly because I don't have very much spending power.
Then, I suppose some one could argue that dubs and legal subs tend to, well, suck. This isn't really a valid argument, but it's a point that could be brushed upon throughout this debate.
From my experience, most dubs and legal subs are inferior to fan-subs, which is kind of sad, seeing as the scriptwriters for the legal ones are actually being paid.
As for unlicensed anime, the growth of an international fanbase for a company that wouldn't have been making money off of other countries anyway, must be some kind of plus. If it weren't for fansubs, the North American etc... anime fanbase would be a lot smaller, and quite outdated.
Fansubs are a quick way for a show to spread internationally, and create excitement and enthusiasm for its release in other countries.
Anyway, when you think about it, the people who watch the stuff on TV aren't really paying for it, aside from the cost of their cable etc... .

You mean legal ones? No. I generally only buy legal versions of movies, but it's the same idea, I guess. As for pirated DVDs...eheheh. *whistles innocently, while quietly shoving box after plastic box into a hole under the floor boards* I guess, even though it technically is immoral, it's the lack of the ability to spend forty bucks on one DVD, and the propensity to take advantage of 26-episodes-for-$20 deals that drives me to buy the boots.

*blink blink*

Oh, come on! When you have thousands of titles at your fingertips for $5 a volume, it's hard to resist! *sweat sweat*

3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?

I would imagine they do. Though, judging by scripts and voice-actor selections, one often finds one's self in doubt of dubbing companies' intelligence, it is what they live off of.
It often seems as though they're forgetting that the fan base belongs to an older age group (generally) than they try to redirect it to, however. If they gave people a chance to see that anime is more than simply porn or stupid children's shows, they might not have to do this as much, but hey. I doubt they're in the business because they wnat to share the stuff with the world. They just know it sells like hotcakes.

And now, after this long debate, you'll have to excuse me as I go download the next episode of Naruto. I can't believe I haven't seen it yet! o_o![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

A comparison to MP3s was brought up... because anime is a niche market, more or less, companies that bother to license these anime movies and series need all the sales they can get. They already go into this knowing that they won't sell hundreds of thousands of copies of anything they put out, so a bunch of people downloading things that are being distributed locally pretty much ruin any sense of profit they can get.

If these shows don't sell they may just as well assume no one was interested. They can't just throw their arms up and say "Well it's popular on bittorrent, but not on DVD. At least people are fans, even if they won't pay!!" Nothing works like that.

At the same time, most of what I see on bittorent isn't available here at all. Quite a bit of it doesn't even seem likely to get a US release. While I'm sure there are still plenty of international copyrights being broken thanks to this, I really don't see an alternative. It's certainly better than paying for bootlegs and helping that market out.

When I did use bittorrent I really just used it as a guage to see what might possibly come here in the future. For example, I loved Hale Nochi Guu and downloaded quite a bit of it... but if it actually came out here, I'd definitely buy it. I'm not one of these "I got it free, so forget buying it" people.

As for Japanese paying attention to fansubs popularity... I wonder how fairly their sales and trades can even be measured in the first place. The distribution channels prior to bittorrent weren't exactly the height of organization and people were just selling copies of copies of copies. I really doubt any anime creator feels all that great when he or she finds out that people are getting their material for free on Bittorrent either.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if local distributors used the buzz on the fansub and Bittorrent markets to fuel their decisions on what to bring over here.

Anyway, sorry I didn't stick in the numbering system lol... but I more or less answered all the questions.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Downloading is wrong, I suppose, because the owners don't get the money for them. I myself have only downloaded Anime one time, and that was the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, but only because I had never seen it.[/b][/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]Well, perhaps. I mean, like I said, the owners won't get their money for it. If I were the creator, I actually wouldn't mind. I'd be flattered that someone was interested in my work. Of course, there are downsides to my theory. The main one is, probably no one would buy and download instead. -_-0 [/b][/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]I would download to try them, and if I liked what I saw, then I would buy the DVD. Or if I really liked it, I would do both, so I could enjoy it anywhere.[/b][/color][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue][b]On this question, I don't think I'm "worldly" enough to answer. I haven't really noticed what other countries are doing. I have been focused on Americ and Japan at the time being.[/b][/color][/font]

Downloading seems to causing a big stir thiese days with mp3s, the big RIAA, and all that legal mess. Well here's my 2 cents on the issues.

[COLOR=Blue]
1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong?[/COLOR]

well it may not be the right thing to do for simple reasons. For most people, when they start downloading stuff they just can't stop. I know a few people who claimed they just downloaded unlicensed anime but later on I found out they kept getting more fansubs even after the show was licensed (remember Gundam SEED?). If you keep your limits just to unlicensed shows and if you like it, then buy it on DVD when it's licensed, I don't see if there's anything wrong with that. The fansubs would help to promote business growth. Unfortunately, we have a tendency of not stopping the downloading because it's free and that's where we run into problems.

[COLOR=Blue]
2. Do you think that you'd buy more DVDs if you didn't download any shows?[/COLOR]

Nope, definetely not. DVD prices have been a main concern with me and I'm sure with many others as well. With anime DVDs at my local stores costing $28 a pop and being only a few bucks cheaper online, it's not something I can regurally afford. I understand licensing can cost a distributing compant a huge lump sum of money, but I feel lowering the price a bit would really help the market grow. An average of $25 for 3-4 episodes of a show? It's a niche market but it really would be great if they could lower that price tag down so more people could watch some anime "the legal way" without having to rely on dubs on networks with their excessive cuts and edits.

[COLOR=Blue]
3. Do foreign (not Japanese) anime companies pay attention to the popularity of various fansubbed series?[/COLOR]

I'd expect them to but I don't think it's always the case. Fansubs of shows such as Naruto and Hikaru no Go have been very popular with the fansub base online but these shows have yet to be licensed outside of Japan (as of my knowledge) not counting their respective manga titles. There might be some legal compications with their licensing status that I'm unaware of but as of now, I'm still confused why they haven't been licensed yet. On the other hand, shows like Gundam SEED got very popular with fansubs and Bandai officially licensed it right before the show ended in Japan. I guess it depends.

I say that I would if I could. Why? Not so much about cost, but more about availability. I am a Canadian anime fan, and, for some reason, anime DVDs at any store seem to be a great rarity in my area, and to order off the net is more pain than it's worth, seeing as how some U.S. companies refuse to accept credit cards from Canada, and other Canadian stores probably don't have it anyway.

1. Despite my above rant, I do believe that, to a point, downloading anime is wrong. Why? Some fortunate people are able to purchase this anime legally. My friend goes to the States for holidays on occasion, and usually comes back with a DVD set. I don't see money as being a valid excuse to download. I believe availability, however, is a little more plausible, but certainly no reason to steal large amounts of anime, or anytihng else, for that matter, from the retailers or artists.

2. Probably, but again, there are few, if any, stores that sell anime in my area that I'm interested in, and so downloading seems like a much easier alternative.

3. I would not know how to answer this question, as I am not well-versed enough in the anime-related news to add to such a statement. Again, this relates to my earlier point, as avaliability here is probably the biggest issue I face when considering wether or not to download. According to my current sistuation, however, I would have to say no, as there appears to be no current rise in popularity in the anime franchise here to be attributed to fansubs. If anything, the franchise seems to be disappearing.

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]

1. I don't think that downloading anime is wrong. I don't profit off it I just get a chance to see what's out there. Getting a chance to see and anime just gets me more pumped about buying it in the future. Now those who profit off anothers work are those I do not agree with.
Basically called BOOTLEGGERS. These are peple who just copy and sell highly publicized pieces for their own profit, not giving any percentage to those who have actually worked their butts off to make their masterpiece. Now if you're one of the few who do that...SHAME ON YOU!!!

2. I don't think I'd buy more DVD's if I didn;t download the shows. I'm broke and just seeing an anime on the shelf may appeal to me. But once I get a peek at what's inside(via Downloading), that makes me more determined to go and purchase it. So far I have seen a few more animes thatn I would have thought of and I want it more than ever to own them for myself so that I may watch them over and over and over again.

3. I think they may but I have not been fully opened to that just yet. But on a business level they may see that these other companies are showing the fansubs and therefor will follow or think of following the same tactics. That is of course just an unresearched opinion.[/COLOR]

[color=firebrick]

Even though I'm being a hypocrite here, the answer to downloading anime is simple. It's wrong, and you shouldn't do it. It doesn't matter whether is it's not liscnened in the US or not: you're still [b]robbing[/b] the company of it's DVD sales and whatnot because most anime eventually get their way to the US. It's the same as downloading music, just because we're in a country doesn't mean we should get wild and start downloading other people's work for free. I myself completely erased all of my anime on my computer and got rid of my Kazaa a long time ago.

And yes, I would buy more DVDs if I hadn't downloaded any shows. Some fanatics want the real thing, but others can settle perfectly for a good-quality fansubbed anime show.

If anime-producing companies didn't care about fansubbers, something is wrong with them.[/color]

1. Regardless of whether or not you download anime, do you believe that doing so is wrong? I only download anime i can't find, otherwise i buy it. It is just nicer to have the actual thing. Besides, a lot of the stuff you download isn't great quality. If you really love a series you want it the best way you can get it.

No, that wouldn't change a thing. I usually buy them after i download them. Well if i like them anyway.

I really don't know, i would think they do. That would tell them whats popular.

1. Downloading is wrong because the creators don't get anything from it like they should. However, if no one really wants anime to be downloaded, they should fix some problems. Bad dubs, expensive DVDs, and difficult-to-find anime lead to downloading the many fansubbed anime online. If people thought downloading anime was a major problem, they should try to fix those.

2. Well, I didn't buy anime DVDs before I downloaded anime and I don't do it now. It's not a question of if I like them. It's a question of having the money. If I had the money, I would be much more likely to buy the DVD after downloading than before. Downloading is like watching anime on TV. If you like watching it, you buy it.

3. I must agree with everyone who says "I don't know." Some might, and some might not.

My own question: Downloading anime = illegal. How about downloading music videos people made with anime clips?

[COLOR=Indigo]Sort of off topic, but Anime downloading would become much more unnecessary if anime were just more available. A lot of Japanese series' are hard to get in the US (getting much better) and the only mainstream methods are buying or waiting for cartoon network to pick up a show

I'm a personal proponent of renting. I'm lucky to have a comic store that has tons of anime rentals for $1.50 (obscure stuff too) so I use that and Netflix to get anime for the most part.

Anime network sounds cool, but it also seems to me that almost nobody can get it even if they bought expensive digital cable.[/COLOR]