OtakuBoards

Making Custom Mouse Pointers

Dan Rugh

I'm trying to make my own mouse pointer and have realized that I don't know what I'm doing. I made it in Photoshop and saved it as a gif so the the opacity would stay. One problem though, mouse pointers have to be either [I].ani[/I] or [I].cur[/I]. I don't believe I have a program that can save files as either of these two extensions. Can anyone help me out?

I attached a picture of the pointer to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about

My idea, personally, is if you transferred it to MS Paint (you won't have to use it, I swear. Horrible MS Paint.) by opening it from there and changing it to bitmap, but then type [B].ani[/B] or [B].cur[/B] at the end of your file name. It has worked for my MS Paint/Photoshop because before it couldn't save as .gif or .jpg unless I [I]typed[/I] it like that. So, maybe it can work either way.
BTW: If this doesn't work, to keep it safe, save it as [I]both[/I] .gif and whatever.

Ok. So I put the cursor in Paint and saved it as a gif with the names leaf_cursor.ani and as leaf_cursor.cur. They at least show up as possible files that can be used. But, now when I try to change it to one of those in the mouse options, it won't load them. The icons for them don't show thumbnails of the images either... so I don't know what's going on...

Oh and it's not a problem with the size of it either because the one I'm using now (I got it from a website) is bigger in dimension and in kilobytes.