OtakuBoards

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Charles

I already own Snake Eater and i have to tell you, its one of the best games i have played recently...A little info that i read earlier by Lance saraceno stated "His friend told him that you can't play the game for hours on end because you have a fatigue bar that only replenishes over real time". although this might be true if you do not eat anything, but your fatigue bar can be refilled by eating snakes and other creatures.

The only down side i have found on this game is that the bosses are a tad to easy to beat, guess i'm going to have to set it to hard, i am playing on normal as it is...

Game play is really good the graphics are as awesome as they could be though it does seem that your cam angles are a little be restricted but thats easy to get over... you can also starve the enemy by blowing up there food storages and then they walk around saying things like "I'm starving" or "i need to get me something to eat" you can also give them food that has some kind of special stuff in it to knock them out and they will eat it because they are so hungry...

There is also certian times when you could end the game way before your even near the end, and thats by killing people early that are key players in the game, so far i believe there is only one time that can be done, you can also kill certian people early to avoid other boss battles, but you have to be quick on the draw and a great sniper shot lmao...lmao and i also have to add i like how he always looks at EVa's chest if you push R1.

Now getting into what makes this game better then the other MG's...Well for one you are your own doctor, you can treat your wounds, sow them up and wrap them. *Note* You do have to take care of your wounds or your will die from them...that kicks ***...you have to love that.
Another thing i really like was in the begining you got to jump out of a playing and free fall in first person mode. They sometimes show clips of you (Snake) eating a real snake, its pretty neat...

Well i hope you all like the game as much as i do...

Dj Professor, I doubt many Soviet weapons research labs had Japanese pop star posters up anyway. It's just a little add-in Kojima has kept around for a while. A joke. You really thing the Red Army would put pin-ups in a military building or a United States aircraft would have a smutty picture in the cockpit of a prototype insertion rocket?

After reading a good portion of the discussion here, I really have nothing to offer except that I think this game is fantastic. The story is pretty good, and ties in with the other installments very nicely. I like that Hideo decided to explain the history a bit more without five hours of garbled conversation between an A.I. program and a prissy little boy.

The gameplay was fun, to be honest. I loved the fact that in almost any situation, you could do just about anything. Take the weapons facility for example. You can put on the scientist uniform when you knock on the door and be taken directly inside the prison for "escaping" or you can grab the guard when he opens the door and dispose of him as you please and sneak in quietly...or just blow the hell out of the place.

The weapons were nicely detailed. As a gun fanatic I can assure you they did a good job with recreating an active battle-ready weapon and it's effects. Firing a heavy machine gun for too long will dull your hearing and you'll have a slight retina burn on your eyes from the muzzle flash. Watching bullets rip through both people and environments alike is just breathtaking, and, in that respect, this game succeeds.

The enemy A.I. is fair as well, but somethings could be changed, but, then again, we don't want some para-military Elite soliders swarming in and slaughtering you from your little hiding spot behind a log, now do we? At least this time they act somewhat sensible when they hear a gunshot, or when someone checks in with HQ and doesn't finish the transmission. I remember in MGS2 after hearing "Why are you late with your status report?!" on one of the strut bridges that I could plant three or four claymores and laugh as the soldiers barrelled down the catwalk without regard for safety. Now soldiers move slow enough to look before they leap. They check behind trees when they walk past in the Caution modes, they circle around corners instead of turning sharply with their eyes pointed down the shaft of the incoming round.

And the bosses were better this go-round, except the Fear and Pain. Fear was a lame Vamp type with even more predictable moves and the Pain just plain sucked. He actually just stands around when you toss a grenade at his feet... His bees are idiots and they move slower than a retarded grandma. His tommygun attack takes so long that you're on the otherside of the cave by the time he starts shooting.

The End was a decent challenge, and I felt a certain respect for him [even though since he pegged me right in the forehead the first chance he got, I ate his parrot]. The Sorrow was a semi-confusing boss battle, but it was a good change of pace and made you think at parts. The Fury really came through on his codename, and I got the Hell out of the way when he started getting mad. A shame his fight was so formulative and could be countered by standing by a door that you'd just wait for him to walk by and launch a rocket round or something. The fight with Boss was literally epic. On Extreme, that has to be the best time I've ever had while getting slammed into the dirt hard enough to bloody flower petals.

And the parts with Ocelot were hilarious. His handmotions were so dramatic and overplayed I had to laugh, and the first time he got his Single Action Armies and holstered one the wrong way almost made me die with tears in my eyes.

But Volgin is a different story. An absurdly easy boss fight on even the highest difficulty and the Shagohod was even simpler. Infinite ammo? For god's sake, at least make us run to a stock of ammo once in a while.

All in all, I like this game. A lot. Maybe too much. The simplicity of some of the game is not enough to turn me off from it. So what if you only press a button to remove a bullet or stitch a wound? The fact of the matter is, if you get into a situation where you need IMMEDIATE medical attention, you just might be in the situation to run out of supplies. I know on the harder difficulties I opted to tranq EVA at the end to save supplies for myself, especially with the final fight with the Boss.

The camo index doesn't bother me as much as it apparently does others. I find on many occasions it cannot be trusted. I can be prone on the ground with 80% and still be noticed dozens of yards off on normal and higher up. Really though if something as simple as a number that gauges how well you're hidden bothers you to the extent to have a full-blown discussion of it possibly ruining the gameplay, you ought to take a step back. It's there because it IS a game, not because they want to hold your hand. Even with the best camo, you can always be seen one way or another. It's not like the developers were trying to give you an easy way out, they just wanted to help you some. Can you imagine how much of an uproar the lesser-gifted players would be without it? Sure, some MG vets would put two and two together and decide that you running around in a fire-red suit in the night won't be the smartest thing in the world to do, but for the most part, others would be literally WRATHFUL if this great game was hampered by always being sighted because they didn't know exactly how well they were hidden.

But, whatever. People take things how they want to. *shrug*

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I'm nearing the end of my third playthrough, this time avoiding killing anyone. When I first started playing MGS3, I didn't think it'd live up to even MGS2. However, the more I let go of the soliton radar and started enjoying the new gameplay mechanics, the more I began to love this game.

I didn't think it was possible, but MGS3 has shoved the original MGS as my favorite game of all time. I could go on and on about what an excellent game this is, and even defend what some might call "camera problems," but that will take away time from continuing to play this great title, so... ciao.[/color][/font]

I love this game is awesome, I finished it twice my third time it got stuck. The boss battles are really easy i wasnt expecting that and the camo index i tought it was going to be more complex the game is great dont get me wrong. The camera is not so bad once you get use to it, so its not as bad as many reviewers said. At the momment im trying to get all the camos and im only missing a few so im happy about that.
the game is simply awesome and I love the fact that it isnt has hard to understand as MGS2( MGS2 is still a great game).

The only thing I dont like about this game is that there are camos that are exclusive for some areas oif the world. The japanese get a bunch of other camos that the US cannot get, from what I hear. Thats a shame, I wish they would promote their products by offering more services to the US market.

I finished it last week, and I gotta say that this was the perfect closure to an excellent trilogy. Even though I've always hated the camera (and hacing the X and O buttons switched), everything else more than makes up for it.

Now I that downloaded all the cutscenes for quick viewing pleasure, all is good. :D
Thank you, Mr. Kojima, for such a masterpiece. May you keep on blessing us for years to come!

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]If you ask me the MGS series could be ended right now seeing how MGS3 pretty much covered everything up, MGS4 is in the work's but Kojima isn't the one running it, though he will have a part in it

Also if you ask me the MGS series is meant to be played without a radar! More stealth I say![/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Sephiroth][COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]If you ask me the MGS series could be ended right now seeing how MGS3 pretty much covered everything up, MGS4 is in the work's but Kojima isn't the one running it, though he will have a part in it

Also if you ask me the MGS series is meant to be played without a radar! More stealth I say![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkblue][font=trebuchet ms]I wonder how MGS4 will be in terms of gameplay, since more than likely it'll take place in Solid Snake's time, considering he has unfinished business. With the use of camos, face paint and old-school sensors, I don't think going back to the "easy" technology would be pleasurable.

Then again, they could hold off MGS4 and remake the MSX titles. I'm all for it.[/font][/color]

[color=darkred] That's a good point. Regardless of who will be directing MGS4, and who will be in charge of the mechanics, it'll be interesting to see how the gameplay is adjusted so as it'd be just as revelling as MGS3's overall camouflage system, particularly in modern times. I usually find MGS a lot more fun to play without the radar, so MGS3 not having one at all doesn't really make it a bigger deal for me.[/color]