OtakuBoards

Dead or Alive Ultimate

Guest ScirosDarkblade

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I know this game hasn't been released yet, but we all know pretty much everything at this point. It's an overhaul of PS2's DOA2: Hardcore and includes the original Sega Saturn version of DOA (whooptey-freaking-do).

Anyway, this pisses me off because in DOA3 I use Christie and Hayate, my brother uses Hitomi, and a friend of ours uses Brad Wong. And none of those characters is in DOA2 (or Ultimate, I guess). And that's just plain bullcrap. It's a $50 game with four less characters than a $20 game. Awesome.

Do you guys think they'll put those characters in as "secret" ones? I really hope so, but I'm not counting on it.

From what I can remember, DOA Ultimate also contains online capabilities. I know that you can fight on XBox Live, but I'm not sure if there are any other online capabilities besides this. So if you wanna be able to go up against the best of the best (and have Live) it could be a good investment. Otherwise I'd probably give it a miss.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Hah, I think the "online" portion of DOA is completely worthless. First of all, it's not the kind of game where you can truly be "the best" because I'm pretty good at DOA3 and can hold my own against a number of people, but plain old "mindless buttonmashing" can take me down way too often. In fact, when I'm totally riled up I sometimes resort to mindless buttonmashing. The game's commands are so bogus that you can just press buttons randomly and execute 85% of all moves. Sure, it really helps being able to counter, but all the opponent has to do is "mix it up" and counters are no longer feasible. When I go against a friend who can counter well I just make sure there are no patterns to my moves, and he does the same. It ends up being just a fistfight.

My point is unless someone has learned every character inside-and-out and can tell every move that's coming just by its initial animations, there's nobody that is "best of the best." My uncle can attest to that, as once while he was totally plastered, he walked in on my cousin and me playing DOA3. "Wow, those chicks are damn hot!" he said, and chased my cousin off the sofa. He then took the controller in his hands (for the first time EVER, mind you), and whipped my ***** all over the place for 2 rounds straight. He then got up, said "this is the BEST GAME EVER!" and then tried to do a martial arts kick in my cousin's face, missed, and left. So there.

The only game where one could truly be "the best" that I've played is Killer Instinct (and KI2). I know this because at one point I WAS the best (at least around where I lived).

Besides the whole lack of a decent learning curve to the game, there's also the fact that playing a fighting game online defeats the purpose of laughing in your opponent's face when you beat him, or insulting him in various uncalled-for ways when you lose (ethnic slurs, bringing up the deaths of his close relatives, indecent exposure, etc.).

Well, regardless of whether or not you want it... the online portion is really what this game has going for it. Obviously, most any fighter can be abused online in some form... But DOA already has an easy pick up and play system going for it which just makes it a good candidate for this stuff. It's not super deep, but it's not super shallow either. It's good material for most people who just want to get some matches in online and that's that lol.

Plus the Xbox has voice chat as a standard. You could call people anything you felt like on there.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
[QUOTE=Semjaza Azazel]
Plus the Xbox has voice chat as a standard. You could call people anything you felt like on there.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but if you read my above post, you'd realize that calling people "ethnic slurs" would be difficult if you didn't know what they looked like, and wouldn't have the same effect if you didn't know them personally (it would have more of a "I'm an ***" effect). Also, you can't bring up deaths of relatives of people you've only met online for a DOA match. It's simply not doable. As for indecent exposure, I challenge you to accomplish that through Xbox live while playing DOA. Hehehe. I listed those things for a reason.

• 1 month later...
Guest ScirosDarkblade
So IGN recently posted a new video of DOA Ultimate -- Kasumi and Ayane duking it out. It seems that there are 6+ costumes per character (rather than 3 or 4), which is great. And Ryu Hayabusa will have his Ninja Gaiden outfit, which is just awesome. But yeah, there are only 12 characters in the character select screen. Makes me angry.

Has anyone else seen the clip yet? Really it's DOA3 but with LESS STUFF, that's all. Some graphical improvements to be sure, but they don't make up for the drop in gameplay. Oh well...

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=1][FONT=Century Gothic]
I always though that DoA's main purpouse in this world is to attract the attention of horny teens (such as the volleyball game of it-_-)

If there is chatting, every win I'll say, " I'm teh BIHATCH!!!!*insert stupid yet maniacle laugh*"

Sciros, could you give us the link to the video BTW? I wanna see if they still have the slutty clothes on XD.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
It's an "insider" only video I think, so I probably shouldn't link you. But just go to [url]www.ignxbox.com[/url] and search for "DOA Ultimate" you'll find everything they have on it. I guess they still have "slutty" clothes on, although the game is definitely not as full of stupid fanservice as the volleyball game.

And DOA games aren't just for horny teenage boys. They are also for horny guys in their twenties. Personally I like the martial arts technique they give the characters; it's pretty good. DOA is one of the few fighting games (the only one in my opinion, besides KI) where the characters actually look like they're FIGHTING each other, rather than just trading hits back and forth. And yeah, the graphics are really good.

• 6 months later...
i didnt find an existing thread for this game yet, but apparently it just released the other day and im looking for an outside opinion on it whether i should pick it up or not. i loved DOA 3, so i would assume that its just the same thing only better, how is the online mode?

[size=1][color=blue]A thread on the game already existed, but since you wanted opinions on the game, I figured it would be easier if I just merged the posts, so that the thread would still be on the first page of the forum. - Shinmaru[/size][/color]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
DOA Ultimate has its ups and downs in comparison to DOA 3. DOA 3, for one, has more characters. DOAU did not include Hayate, Brad Wong, or Christie (unless they're REALLY hidden somewhere, and it could be that they'll release them via X-Box Live sometime). [i]My[/i] DOA 3 character was Christie, so that annoys the hell out of me. Also, DOAU does not have those really pretty FMVs that you watched every time you beat story mode in DOA 3. It instead has some stupid cutscenes between fights (as if there's some cohesive story there...). Also they got rid of some moves that were in DOA 3, since DOA 2 had fewer. How stupid.

Of course, DOAU does have some of the best graphics you'll see in this generation of games. It has killer arenas, the music is a lot better than in DOA 3, it has ONLINE PLAY, and it's generally a lot of fun. I enjoy the game, even though I'm forced to use Hitomi/Ayane/Ein/Hayabusa instead of Christie/Ayane/Ein/Hayate. Oh well.

It's definitely worth picking up, by the way. Especially if you have someone to play tag-team with online (which I haven't tried yet).