OtakuBoards

Character Type.

NeoNabishen

Today one of my friends made the comment that the characters in witch hunter robin are to cool. He meant it in a bad way.
To cool, how can anything be to cool.
Well they all wear black, have cool powers and they hunt witches. Its kind off to cool don’t you think it hard to relate to any of them.
Who wants to relate. It’s a great anime, I told him.
So hear is my question otakus. What do you like better, a character that you can relate to, or a character that kicks butt, or both for that mater.
So in short, what is your favorite anime character type? “Type: Believable, unbelievable, relatable, or does it mater to you one way or the other.”
:smirk:

[COLOR=Navy]Personally, I like the type of character that I can relate to. I very much enjoy the ability to empathize with a character because I share the same character flaw. It just...oh, I don't know. Maybe I'm just senile, or whatever. I just like being able to say "Yeah, that's me,", or "hey, ___'s a lot like you, because they ________." you know? That's one reason that I am in love with the collective Project .hack. I am a lot like Tsukasa/Bear/Mimiru, but I guess I'm most like Subaru. So, whatever. That's all I have to say for now. *looks a little ashsmed*[/COLOR] :glasses: :sweat:

[quote name='Twilight']Personally, I like the type of character that I can relate to. I very much enjoy the ability to empathize with a character because I share the same character flaw...[/quote]I [i]relate[/i] to characters but I don't [i]identify[/i] with them. After all, most anime characters are around 14-16 so there's a certain shelf life for that sort of thing.

If I can't find any characters I [i]like[/i] in a given anime then I will quit watching after a few episodes. If the characters in a show get a chance to try and relate to each other I usually get to like them.

Actually I prefer a balance of both. For one thing yes having characters to relate to is certainly good, gives it some much needed plot in most cases. But it can't be denied that there are times where just plain cool butt kicking is required. In anime form of course because they are...dare I say it.....to cool. So overall one way or another it's all good to me.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]I do'nt necessarily have to relate to the characters in an anime to enjoy it. Currently, I'm watching Yu yu Hakusho on Toonami, and I don't really relate to any of the main characters. However, I still enjoy it.

Part of the reason might be because I like some of the characters; if Kuwabara were a real person at my school, I'd hang with him.

Also, just because you relate to a character doesn't mean you like them. If I weren't me, but I knew me, I wouldn't want to hang around me, for example. A character in an anime that's exactly like me wouldn't appeal to me.

But, as was said before, you'e got to like some of the characters, or empathize, or you simply remain disconnected from the story.[/color][/size][/font]

I like the kind of character with lots of spunk and cute ambition (preferrably female with cat-ears). The kind of character that is squashed easily...Naw, but seriously. I feel that a character does not need to be exactly like me in order for me to relate. The character needs to be real-life, but not in a real-life setting. My kind of character is the kind who seems to be really attatched to something, until it becomes painful to bear. My main character in the manga i am creating has issues like that. He held onto his humanity until it drove him insane. He now has two sides. One, a ruthless killer, the other, well, has a butterfly for a pet... He has a sense of reality to him. A kind of recluse, but he seems open enough about his feelings (very blunt in his phrasing).

But you dont want me to get started on that rant...

In any case. A character is the only flaw in any story. A perfect story is one without characters (but a perfect story SUCKS!). What a true artist has to do is create a character that is such a sufficient flaw, that it affects the character's surroundings. This is often achieved by creating a universal flaw, like shyness or bigotry (sorry if i spelled that wrong). This can attract some viewers, but it still leaves some out of the loop. The characters that best create a universal setting are, to me, the ones dealing with human emotions as opposed to human attitudes.

Nobody is even reading this. I can tell.

My favorite characters are the characters without a care in the world, but the reason for their behavior is justified because they want to escape the pain of living without dying. They wish to leave the world alone, and watch the sparks fly... but as always, will get deeply involved in some large event, because humans, by nature, are fascinated by pain. I'll let you linger on that.

In the meanitme... I think I'll get me some shut-eye.

"Who is pulling the puppetmaster's strings?"
-Yari

(But I still like the cute neko girls...mmmm... :tasty: :tasty: )

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I just want a character who I can care about, and usually that means he/she has to kick a lot of butt, and be funny. And a lot of one can make up for having only a little of the other.

I usually don't like "realistic" characters quite as much as the larger-than-life heroes (in other words, Keiichi or Keitaro or Shinji... they're not anywhere near as appealing to me as Vash, Spike, or... running out of anime I've watched that applies in this case... or... or Batman). I identify a bit with Spike and Vash because they seem so carefree a lot of the time, but in reality are deadly serious. Same goes for Wolfwood. Batman is just plain badass, there's no identification there just marveling at His (Batman's) glory.

Now, that's not to say that I dislike the three "normal" guys I mentioned above, because I think theyr'e great characters, but I don't get as interested in their troubles.

[QUOTE=0ber0n the Neko]
Nobody is even reading [/QUOTE]

Wow man~ Are wa daisuki desu yo. Fukai deshou. :wigout:

I myself care very little about characters when it comes to choosing anime. Characters I hate can appear in series that I don't like. Characters I love can appear in animes I hate.

Though it does seem that the characters I like are not so much characters I can [i]relate[/i] to, or say "Hey that's me!" but just people I could see myself looking up to.

I'll take Naruto as an example. Naruto has lots of characters I love.

Hinata ~ Strong, from a strong family, but shy and causing herself to be weak. She's not perfect, but she never gives up. That's why I love her. :)

Lee ~ Would be perfect, if he weren't at first so ugly. He's a goof. Not "too cool" but still fighting, always fighting.

Shikamaru ~ Lazy, dead beat, basic good-for-nothing. But in times of peril and in times of need, he's the one you can count on. He'll always have your back.

These are people I can look up to and even if they aren't perfect, they have great endearing qualities that make you go "I wish I was just like them." Even if they have tons of qualities that make you feel the opposite. So I guess cool is good? XD I got lost. Dude, I really should start posting before my bed time. :sleepy: :sleep:

-ArV

I like characters I can relate to. All my anime personality tests come out as Kakashi or Edward and those two are my favorite characters. I tend to like quiet, laid back, but strong characters. If it be mind strong, or strength strong.

it depends on the gender of the character.

i like male characters that are either manly men (Spike Spiegel) or somewhat femmy and cute (Quatre Winner). One is just yumminess personified, one is something that just makes me smile and say "Aw! That was SO cute!!!"

Now, female characters... i like them like Faye. A mix of sensual and kick-***, with the know-how to handle a gun or a ship or whatever. Strong, smart, and hot.

Kids... heh heh heh :sweat: i like kids like Yahiko and Ed. Fiesty and comic relief.

The best type of anime, in my opinion, is the type where all of these come together and create something more than the sum of the parts.

;) I enjoy anime characters I can relate to, I find humour also important. One dimnesional characters are boring. Sometimes the aside characters seem to be the most interesting-- I enjoy Jet Black in Cowboy Bebopp because of the interesting mix-- bonty hunter, ex-cop, yet seemingly the one who takes care ot the unlikely group of Ed, Faye and Spike.

Guest VCrow
In my opinion i cannot stand characters that serve no general purpose in the plot, are weak, and attempt to bring comedy into all the wrong places. For example shippo.. he should have just packed his fox daddy and left after the thunder brothers :flaming: .

All the characters from witch hunter robin are great. Not one of them gets on my nerves, except Robin some times when she goes on about her craft nonsense ^_^.
Each character brings something new to the table, its not repetetive like some other animes. Dojima is the ditzy one, Ms. Karasuma is the intelligent telepath, Sakaki is the bad luck ridden rookie, Amon is the fearless yet myystterrriiouuss leader, *kicks himself* i forget the hackers name, i am a failure as a Witch Hunter Robin fan.

The only part I don't like about the series is the whole split between Robin and STN-J. I think she should have stuck with them.. I don't get to see enough of Sakaki anymore!! (He makes me question my sexuality -_-). Also when Robin gets her butt whooped by some witch, thats always a bummer.