OtakuBoards

Brave New World Book Club

sublime2004

[color=darkred][b][size=1]
In many of my posts, I have made references to the books [URL=http://www.huxley.net/bnw/][color=blue][i]Brave New World[/color][/i][/URL] by Aldous Huxley. And, I am saddened to say that I have not recieved one reply even acknowledging its existence. The only thing I can think of is that no one has read it. Which, to me, is extremely surprising.

This site is full of sci-fi fans and Huxley was so far ahead of his time, it was almost rediculous. This is why I feel it important to inform and culture you in something other than manga. Not to say that manga isn't one of the greatest things in the world, but there are other options.

What I hope to do, with the blessing of the OB staff, is to have a bunch of people join this book club and we read it. I Know what you may be thinking: I'm not buying a book just for some stupid thread some 16 year old boy started. This is not necessary.

I have found a website that features the entire novel. It is formatted in 18 easy to read, one-chapter pages that are very useful in the set-up of this club.

What I propose is:

There will be a sign-up for the club. All you have to do is write a post saying that you want to join. No need for a bio or weapons.

We will read one chapter a day and discuss it in this forum the next day.

That's it. Pretty simple, huh? Anyone is welcome to join, so long as they join before we start reading the book. If this proposition is acceptable to you, please feel free to sign up.

I will let you know when this is starting and I will wait three days for a confirmation PM from you so I and you know that we are all on the same page, so to speak.

P.S.: I f you want to get a head start, or if you just want to check out the lay out of the book, click on the link above. Thanks and happy posting.[/color][/b][/size]

[font=Verdana][size=1]Well, thank you for the education offer, heh. Most of us read as much as we have time to -- I know that lately I'm far behind in all the books I want to read -- so we welcome suggestions and encouragement.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1] I'm perfectly happy to let this continue and may even join myself, however, might I suggest that you allow anyone in at any time -- in case people find this after it's started -- and that the reading of chapters extends to over a few days. I myself know that I can't read much on the internet because it hurts my eyes. And I don't always have time for an indepth discussion each day. So perhaps if it extends a few days, to allow for the total chaos people's lives can become? [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=1]I will sign up here, although my time-allowances may change, as I'm nearing the end of term here and have many exams and/or assignments. So, yes, this is a good idea, and once we finish this book, perhaps we could even extend it to continue to other books...if people are still interested.[/size][/font]

[color=#707875]I have only one concern about this. And that relates to the entire book being found digitally online.

If this is an official publisher's web site and if it's completely legitimate, then this can go ahead. Otherwise, people will need to go out there and purchase the book. I wish to be very, [i]very [/i]careful about displaying content like that online, in the same way that I wouldn't want us to post entire magazines on the 'net.[/color]

[size=1][b]I understand what you mean, James. And I will check to see if this source is legitimate. I knew this issue would come up after I re-read the rules after I posted this sign-up. I was going to delete it until I could get definite approval. But, for some reason, I couldn't. I dunno what the deal was there.

Anyway, I'll go and check that out and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks for preventing me from comitting a banishable offense.

EDIT: I could not find any information(at all) on the validity or legality of the information posted on the website I have suggested. So, sadly, I have decided to discontinue this book club until I have found an adequate and leagal source. Sorry.

[/size][/b]

[color=#707875]I've taken a look at the site and it says "as seen in USA Today 'Hot Sites'". I'm not sure if this is true or not, and it makes me wonder if this site has paid the publisher to display this material.

The index for the book also includes a link to purchase it from Amazon. So, that's an important feature.

But I really have no idea how legitimate this site is. I even investigated the site's publisher, but there are no indications as to whether or not they're doing something legal or illegal. They do seem to be a legitimate company, but they haven't published any messages in regard to permissions from publishers. And they seem to have a lot of books listed online for display.

So, without knowing for sure whether they have the publisher's permission, I can't allow the link to be posted on OtakuBoards.

If you want to go ahead with the book club, by all means do so. I would really like to encourage this type of discussion. I know that an Internet resource would make things a lot easier for you, but I think we're going to have to ask interested parties to put in a little effort and visit their local library.

That way, interested participants can legitimately borrow a physical copy of the book and comment on it here. I think this would be the best approach.[/color]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I just finished reading [i]Brave New World[/i] this past week and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It was a little strange, but I was very impressed with the way that Huxley wrote in what seemed far beyond his time or era. [/color][/size]