OtakuBoards

A topic that WILL make you think.

Burori

[quote name='Panda']"I have a dream, that one day my four little children will be judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin."- Martin Luther King Jr. [/quote]

Actually, it is "I have a dream, that one day, my four little children, will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." Sorry, I had to correct that.

Panda, I agree with you. If everyone one would shut up and listen to anothers words, and take in the differences of that person, our world could be better, and maybe safer. Our world, that we live in, is full of diversity. We're all different in some way! Not only by the tone of our skin, but our personalities, our thoughts, our beliefs! Everyone is different from another person. We're all unique in some way...:)

Sorry, I had to delete the last paragraph...:D

Guest Crimson Spider
[QUOTE=Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Why? Every one greets every one with whatever random word comes to their mind. This statement just seems weird to me. I don't find it weird that I know "non-white" people who say "Salutations, salutations!" as a form of greeting. Maybe they, as individuals, are just "nerdy", as you put it.
[/quote]I do it to be more likable to that specific denomination. But that literally is what comes to mind.
[quote]Based on your previous statements, I doubt you would immediately classify all white people as "nerdy", but the above statement sure seemed to imply that. *raises eyebrow*[/quote]I must've forgot the underline the second time I wrote it.
[/FONT]
[/COLOR]
Did you know: That of the 30,000 different genes we have, only [u]up to[/u] 30 can be different, and that these 30 are what makes up who we are? That's a 0.001% difference between people.

[quote name='Crimson Spider]Did you know: That of the 30,000 different genes we have, only [u]up to[/u'] 30 can be different, and that these 30 are what makes up who we are? That's a 0.001% difference between people.[/quote]
[color=#707875]Absolutely. It is amazing that despite the amount of similarities we have (the genetic differences between two white men and a white man and black woman are pretty much equal, quantitatively speaking), we can [i]still [/i]deny people their appropriate civil rights.

It sucks when people talk about equality, but when they themselves do not support it through action.[/color]

[FONT=Lucida Console]Racism is part of the "us vs.them" theme. This is the most primitive manner in which human groups form-- not out of altruism, but defense. There's no hard feelins in the survivaal mode (humans vs wooly mammoth). If group dynamics don't mature, we never evolve beyond the safety aspect of life (ensuring survival). If a group matures, humour, altruism, mutual need satisfaction come into the picture. Discrimination, and fear of differences fester when all of us are feeling out on a limb, with few resources, lonely, and chronically frustrated. Discriminations also come out of scapegoating. The toughest thing I can think of is saying "This is what I did to make this situation a mess," I don't like to own my boobooes. The sooner I can, than the sooner I'll stop seeking to blame someone else. When we dispute the concept "the twinkie (or name a group, age bracket, nationality, species..) MADE me do that, well I just wonder how things would be. I think I might be oversimplifying, just a notion.>>>>>> Virtual biscotti and donuts to all. [/FONT]

Wow I love the feedback on this. Thanks everyone.

Umm I also wanted to add that I resently watched a movie called Hearts of hate. I think that's the name of it. Anyways in it Racist people claim they have every right to be what they are because of freedom of speach. But then that's what people who are against racisim think that also.

Now I want to ask a new question and that is, Who do you think really has that right? Racist people or people that are against racisim?

[size=1][color=darkred]Anti-Racist of course. They're not saying that you're not allowed to be racist...they're not infringing on other's rights. Be racist, but keep your opinions to yourself. Anti-racists promote a world that puts up and shuts up, at the very least, rather than [i]having[/i] to accept it.[/size][/color]

[FONT=Impact]Regarding both racist and anti-racist groups claiming themselves to posess the rights to their beliefs, no one has exclusivity claims. All groups have the right of free speech. But regarding action-- my freedoms and rights, end just shy of my neighbors nose!!!

Personally, I thnk the more people talk, and ideas are out in the open, the more we will drift away from the extreme points of view. I agree with the person who pointed to the internet as an "equalizer"-- we can't see each other so we must work with the information expressed.. Besides, if my avatar is a tree-- I never have to worry abot "bad hair days"[/FONT]