OtakuBoards

Advice

Shadow Guardian

Hi!! Newbie here. I'm just wondering if my drawing are good enough for me to start off a manga of my very own...still lack of confident. I got the feeling I need to improve a lot on my drawings. Another thing seems to concern me is that although i really sucks at coloring especially when using photoshop. Any advice? :wigout:

[color=darkblue]I'm really impressed by this artwork. It reminds me of the cover art from the Now and Then, Here and There DVDs. It's quite good really. All I can see wrong is that the eye proportion of the girl on the right is off slightly.

I think that you really have potential and you have no reason to doubt your abilities. I know people who'd kill to be able to draw that well, lol. However, everyone has a level where they feel they need to be, so strive toward that if you feel you need to. I'm quite interested to see what type of storyline these characters would be involved in, though.[/color]

Shadow Gaurdian, I have one thing, proportians. They are slightly off, but not so much that I would say practice before you go into Manga drawing. There is a significantly high chance that by making your own Manga, that your proportians will work themselves out. If you read early Manga, like butt old "Aa! Megami-sama!" or "Dirty Pair", there are some points where their proportians are really really bad in my eyes. Your art work is great. I would suggest you get on the band waggon and start making some toons, man. I think you're great with faces, but faces only go so far. As for the hair and the such, my God you are awesome. Just keep up the good work.

Now as for color, there are some ways around color, if you have Photo Shop, you have it easy. If you have to use some other program, not so easy. If you are doing this by hand, well coloring can get a little difficult. When I color and shade my pictures I do it by hand, but I also have very nice screen tones. If you go to howtodrawmanga.com, click on some arbitrary link to a book, it will take you to a new window. From there look to the top and you should see a tutorial link. Click on that and it takes you to the J. Dillian tutorials. She has an excellent tutorial for Photo Shop, it's what my friend uses, and his stuff turns out incredible. As for screen tones, if you're looking for a short cut, Polykarbon.com (I think that's how you spell it), has a great tutorial for making fast screen tones.

Well that's my two cents, hope they helped in some wierd way....

Oh wow! Your drawings are quite lovely if I do say so myself. What I have found that has helped me in drawing and how to draw manga are these books. These books are well, How to Draw Manga Books. They explain how to draw correctly so the heads are bigger than the body itself, what to draw with, and tons of other stuff. There books are expensive but they are well worth it. They even have a site that you should check into. [URL=http://www.howtodrawmanga.com]How to Draw Manga[/URL]

One thing I just realized to say was this:

A good way for proportions is head measurement. Shoulders are two heads wide, back of hand is two eyes wide, total body height for man is eight heads, while female is normally seven heads long, legs are four heads long, and from bottom of neck to bottom of crotch it is three heads long.

Hope that helps.

Guest CalvinandHobbes
Wow! You're art is a lot better than anything I've ever done... :( Obviously, I think they're pretty good! Good luck!

[QUOTE=Anqueetus]One thing I just realized to say was this:

A good way for proportions is head measurement. Shoulders are two heads wide, back of hand is two eyes wide, total body height for man is eight heads, while female is normally seven heads long, legs are four heads long, and from bottom of neck to bottom of crotch it is three heads long.

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

aww I never realized that it would be so complicated ;) but thanks for that advice.

Anyway, my I had already written my story plot for my manga and that was about three or four years ago. Characters development and story plot are heavily influenced by final fantasy and the same theme of life and death, love and betrayal and finally saving the world from evil force. hehe sounds plain right?well its time for some tweaking around.
Anyway i had dream of making my characters as close to reality not only from the apperance but also their personalities and speech.

What? You're making you Manga under the influence of Final Fantasy...how could you do such a thing? I....but.....that must be the coolest idea I've heard in a long time...now I want to watch the Final Fantasy cartoons... I wish I wasn't such a nerd...

[SIZE=1]Oh, those are really good! I do agree with everyone about the proportions, but other than that, they look terrific! 1,000 times better than anything I could ever draw (stick figures that is). =) It sounds like an interesting series...and looks good so far![/SIZE]