OtakuBoards

Save Dr. O!

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933ff]SAVE DR.O!!! XD

A lot of kids at our high school did not want our Principal to leave at the end of the year, because the Board Of Education(BOE) wants to let him go/fire him.

So, 600 kids out of 900 went down the the football field this morning and protested during periods 1 and 2. The point of it was to protest AGAINST his leaving. We got two news channels there, a shout out on a radio station, and the regional newspaper covering our story and making our opinions known. Plus, the BOE said they'd call an emergency meeting soon to discuss this issue. They have until may to fully resolve it.

A couple students at our school also have an online radio of sorts, and usually they play music, but tonight, the whole show is about Dr. O and students can call in and whatnot and voice their opinions.

I'm really amazed at how much all of use really like this guy, and don't want him to leave.

But that's not my point. My point is, have any of you ever been in a protest, whether it was for somethign really small, like this, or whether it was to protest something big, like the War in Iraq. I want to know!

P.S.: If I seem insane, it's because this was my first protest ever. Heh. ^^;;;[/color]

I dont think protests do anything other than waste peoples time.

I have, however, gathered petitions, and formal complaints and sent them to congressional members of California on many occasions. Its amazing how much you can get done, by [B]directly[/B] going to the source for changes. Protesting is just propaganda.

[color=#9933ff]Some of us kinda already did that. Many of the kids (not me because I had to finish two projects) went to the BOE meeting with signs, and a lot of the students and parents stood up, spoke, and made speeches at the BOE meeting, saying that they didn't want Dr. O to leave. Didn't really do any good, so we decided to protest. We definately made our opinion know, so it did some good, in that respect, at least.

P.S.: What is with you? I make one comment that you don't like, and suddenly you become a cocky ***, acting like you're the best in the world, and that you are like God. I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but live with it. I made rude comments, you did too. Why can't you be mature about this? I used to think you were actually a nice person, and now I know better.[/color]

[color=crimson]For those who are interested, here is the article and video from News 12 New Jersey:

[url]http://www.news12.com/NJ/topstories/article?id=104451[/url]

I was out there, I actually walk by in the background. I was getting phone numbers for radio stations and news channels. I happen to really like Dr. Onorato. He recognizes fully that I am not my brother and got me out of trouble when someone accused me of smoking in the bathroom like my brother does. I don't even smoke.
Anyway, despite the fact it was below freezing and snowing from time to time, myself and many other students stood out on the football field to keep Dr. O around. My phone call efforts were appreciated by the organizers of the event. I spent most of my time wandering the bleachers trying to get a radio signal because Oakland is in the mountains. Alot of people ended up with blankets and coffee or coacoa, but not me. I only had a sweatshirt on too, but some people were in short sleeves. I appreciated the chance to show my opinion about the situation with Dr. O's contract. And the fact that I feel great dislike for Saxton really fueled my opinion on the matter.
I know we may not have achieved anything at all and there may be consequences, but that doesn't matter to me, I got my opinion out.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

First things first. Winter, check your tone. I know you can behave maturely.

Secondly, while protesting seems like an archaic relic from an age long ago, it's still one of the most effective methods of getting a point across, especially if you can get some media attention. It sounds like the student body got their message heard. I would have loved to see a few hundred high school students chanting in a football stadium when there's no football going on, lol.

Myself? I've done minor stuff. Nothing too major. Basically, in the past, I've refused to take part in things in which I didn't believe. It goes against my morals to support an institution that I feel is corrupt or at least working improperly. I have scruples. I try not to get involved in every conflict, too. I'm really a pacifist by nature, and it has to take something very serious and very severe for me to get my hands dirty, so to speak.

I recall a few times in high school that I was belligerent to an instructor. Haha, it's pretty funny, actually. In my four years at CHS, I had gotten suspended, warned, given detention...but I had never been written up. Well, never written up until the very last day of Senior Year. Yes, [i]Senior[/i] Year. I had gotten written up because my TV Production teacher, Ms. Damiri, didn't appreciate my tone or attitude when we were having the class' film festival. My entry was rejected due to...to put it nicely, I ripped some people up on tape. My project was essentially a rant, insulting a few people in my Senior class. I made valid points, of course, and it's not like my TVP Brethren didn't agree with me, but that kind of malicious nature just doesn't fly.

Suffice to say, upon my refusal to join the rest of the class to watch the accepted film projects, Ms. Damiri sent me to the office. I look back on it and laugh. While it was upsetting back then, when you're able to clean your thoughts and appreciate the irony of a situation, it becomes priceless comedic material.

But I digress (But wasn't if fuuuun? Yes, Petey, it was.).

One thing we have to keep in mind when protesting a decision that we do not like is that we should not go too far. We shouldn't push the issue too strongly, or else there will be a backlash, sometimes quite bad.

So, there needs to be a balance sometimes. Obviously, drastic times calls for drastic measures, but for the most part, I think nonviolence and/or nonconfrontational methods are the ways to go.

Good job, Roxie and Lumi. Rock on.

[color=darkviolet]Well, I didn't send out petitions or anything, but I did sign one a few weeks ago.

The city school budget has always been way off, They've had to cut back on school programs, school equipment and school safety. And now since November '03 they've been talking about getting rid of the nurses in the schools.

Monroe county has since decided that the city is not responsible for having the nurses in the schools and now New York hasn't bothered to pass a budget on time...again. So the kids are pretty much screwed over since none of them are allowed to even carry asprin or Pamprin in their bags and now can't get perscriptions they need to take.

But I did sign a petition saying we should keep the nurses in tyeh schools and cut the saleries of the superintendants[/color].

When I was in the 7th grade we had a walk out protest. Our vice principal was being accused of hitting a student and the school council didn't want a scandal so they were going to fire him. The student made up the entire story and there were witnesses who were there during the supposed "beating" of the student. The newspaper was called and banners were made in support of the vp. Because of this they had to investigate the case and found that the student lied (and when confronted finally confessed) and the vp kept his job! After all was said and done the vp thanked the students for their support during an assembly. He was really emotional and he was so thankful for our support.

In this case the protesting helped. But as said in a post before by Petey, there is a fine line you have to walk or it could cause a backlash. When you get anyone going to an extreme to get their point across it looks bad. When done properly, a peaceful protest can make a world of difference.

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]

P.S.: What is with you? I make one comment that you don't like, and suddenly you become a cocky ***, acting like you're the best in the world, and that you are like God. I'm sorry if you don't like what I have to say, but live with it. I made rude comments, you did too. Why can't you be mature about this? I used to think you were actually a nice person, and now I know better.[/color][/QUOTE]

I didnt say I didnt like your thoughts. You assumed. I merely threw in my opinion in that protests are worthless wastes of time. You took it a bit too far, now didnt you?

Petey: I have no "tone" to check. Read my initial reply in this thread. There were no indications of insults, even covert ones. My opinion was just taken personally.

On another more personal note, I am a very pleasant and kind person. I'm just very opinionated and blunt. *shrugs* Thats a shame if it upsets you.

I don't know if saying that protests are a waste of time is entirely correct. Propaganda can be somewhat useful: if you want people to know about your cause and agree with you on it, you need to get people aware of it somehow. Protesting might not be the most effective way to actually get things done, but it plants a seed in peoples' minds that there might be something that needs doing. Then the next steps can be taken.

[color=crimson]Well, Winter, a protest is not entirely pointless. The reconsideration of the BOE's decision has started.

The BOE is basically a bunch of Saxton's puppets, but when the media came into it, Saxton was walking on fine ground. He had taken money out of some of the extra-curricular activities, such as Drama, and was using it to build his own office in the school. His office was to have a marble bathroom and a plasma TV. There would be fine (expensive) wood paneling on every wall. That is why I personally do not like Saxton. The Drama and other programs had been planning a walk out in protest of having no funds. We were going to do it, but we had parent intervention, and they used some kind of threat and the money was restored. But Saxton is still getting his office. I want to do some kind of protest against him, I know many other students who dislike him and his building of his shiny new office. The tore down the industrial arts section of the school for it.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

Guest cloricus
I'm sorry but is it just me or did you not state the reasons for this man to be fired? Just because you see some thing as "wrong" does not mean that it is, this guy could have done something very wrong and just be getting what's coming to him.

Other than that you should have been in class, and got your parents to do the talking.

lol I'm sure we can all rely on our parents to come through for us when it comes to stuff like this. I think students can make a bigger difference, when they show that they care about something this strongly, it really makes an impact. But when your mommy goes to talk to the district, not much is gonna be done.

[color=orange][size=1] I've participated in countless protests and I have to agree with Winter: They're pointless.

My reason being: I've found it to be more effective if you bring your problem [b]discreetly[/b] to the source and remain polite to solve it, instead of dragging along those who would use your cause for an excuse to rile up.

In response to this protest, I would suggest you and a small group of the leaders of the protest call a meeting with Dr. O, see how [i]he[/i] feels about the whole matter. If you still see the need to push the issue, try to set up a meeting with the BOE. They may be adults, but they're adults with jobs that happen to be all about [b]you[/b].

I would just like to point out that the BOE probably has some valid reasons for demanding the removal of Dr.O. As I'm sure you're going to argue, they're not valid and you've already talked to them. Like I said, schedule a meeting with them and listen to their reasons. They may be old, but with that age comes wisdom.

Good luck! (And tell us how it went, okay?) ^_^[/color][/size]

[color=indigo]Although I have never been in a protest, I can see how it could be an effective way of voicing your opinion while at the same time informing the masses of a pending situation (especially if you can get media coverage). However, it seems as though your protest could prove to be a bit counter productive.

The first thing you have to take into account is why your principal is being fired. Is he making too much money? Does the faculty see eye to eye with him? Is he overpaying the teachers (I know, I know, it is impossible to overpay a teacher, but the board of education may not think so)? Did he commit an immoral act that could get him fired (ie: sexual harassment)? I am sure there is reasoning behind his pending termination.

The second thing you have to realize is that by walking out of class to protest you could by hurting him more than you are helping him. I understand that the gesture was meant to be kind, supportive and sympathetic but it is the principals job to act as the authoritative role within the school. By walking out during class time you have either [b]A)[/b] undermined that authority and shown how little control your principal has over students or [b]B)[/b] shown that your principal is willing to allow students to waste valuable class time so that he can further his own agenda.

I understand that your principal is probably an awesome person, but that is how I would view the situation as an outsider looking in, and that is probably how the board of education will try and spin the story.[/color]

Guest cloricus
[quote name='StarShine']I'm sure we can all rely on our parents to come through for us when it comes to stuff like this. I think students can make a bigger difference.[/quote]

Sorry to break it to you but adults run the world and kids just look cute. Once you get past all the "niceness" and down to business a group of people running the BoE could not care less what a bunch of immature little kids think. The only diplomatic solution to this, for either way, would be to get all of those 600 (or so?) children's parents together to ask for a meeting with the head of the board and have a discussion and make it known they are not happy with the situation.

1200 polite adults with a message will have more effect than some kids skipping class.

[color=crimson]In a literal sense, we did not walk out. We never went in. O_o 600 kids didn't show up to homeroom, first, second, and most of thrid period.
The parents have been working at this since the incident occured, but no one asked the students' opinion, so we showed them instead. Besides, the principal couldn't do a thing. We sat there peacefully with our picket signs until we got some attention. We have the right to assemble peacefully. So we did, and the law says there was nothing he could do. The cops couldn't make us leave, or the BOE. He did send out the vice principal to make sure that things were under control.
Actually, for the past few weeks, students have been attending board meetings and speaking with the BOE about the situation. They have made a little more progress than the parents.
I realize we are fighting an uphill battle on a hill that is almost vertical. But that doesn't mean we are just going to let Dr. O and the issue go.

~Lumi ^_^[/color]

[QUOTE=Luminaire][color=crimson]In a literal sense, we did not walk out. We never went in. O_o 600 kids didn't show up to homeroom, first, second, and most of thrid period.
The parents have been working at this since the incident occured, but no one asked the students' opinion, so we showed them instead. Besides, the principal couldn't do a thing. We sat there peacefully with our picket signs until we got some attention. We have the right to assemble peacefully. So we did, and the law says there was nothing he could do. The cops couldn't make us leave, or the BOE. He did send out the vice principal to make sure that things were under control.
Actually, for the past few weeks, students have been attending board meetings and speaking with the BOE about the situation. They have made a little more progress than the parents.
I realize we are fighting an uphill battle on a hill that is almost vertical. But that doesn't mean we are just going to let Dr. O and the issue go.

~Lumi ^_^[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I disagree. Your principal should have told all of the students to return to class or they would face a discilinary[color=indigo]I disagree. Your principal could have done something, and as the authoritative figure of the school he should have. His job is to oversee your education, and since there was a massive walk out (or "never show up", if you will) not only were the 600 students that attended missing out on Education but the remaining students probably also were distracted from there classes. Being the principal, he should have announced to the students protesting that if they did not get back to class they would be subject to some sort of disciplinary action (even if it was an idle threat).

As students, you could have protested in numerous other ways. You could have protested after school camping out on the lawn, you could have had rallys during lunch and between classes, or you could have littered the school with "pro Dr. O" propaganda. Instead you chose to protest during class time, which, in my opinion wasn't the most appropriate action to take.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is really cool that you guys care about an administrator so much. I just think that you didn't think your actions through.[/color]

[size=1][color=red]*thinks* Well I don't think my town has ever had any protests, even though my friend and I say that we should start one for many reasons.

When I was reading your post, I came to thinking that maybe your protesting will get your principle in even more trouble. The BOE might think that he can't control his students. But then again, maybe not. Hopefully, you and your fellow students did this on your own time, and the BOE doesn't think that your principle may have been behind it too.[/size][/color]

[color=#9933ff]Lumi! *scolds her* You forgot to tell the masses that Dr. O [b]was not there[/b] when the rally was going on. He had no idea about it, and was in a workshop somewhere else. I mean, in another city. lol. None of the teachers knew about it either. I feel like I said this before, but we were going to have a protest on Wednesday when the teachers found out about [i]that[/i] on Monday, so via e-mail and phone, the students worked hard to inform everyone the day was changed to Tuesday. I don't think anyone, [i]especially[/i] not Dr. O, knew about this, we just did it.

The emergency board meeting was on Thursday, but of course no one talked about Dr. O, which was disappointing. They were all bitchin' about the discipline the teachers gave us (not me, thankfully). I mean, normally, I'm sure parents and the like wouldn't have a problem with whatever the teachers wanted to dish out, but the VP said at the end of the protest, [b]loud and clear[/b] (he told the student leader of the protest who told the masses) that [b]there.would.be.no.consequences.if.you.went.back.inside.the.school!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b] So I think that was the whole beef that people had.

In my opinion, Dr. O isn't getting tenured because "he didn't play the political game", in the words of my mother. I like him because he's so nice to all of the students, and he doesn't judge you based on siblings or whatever (I know that's one reason why Lumi likes him). Besides, how can you not like a guy that [b]personally[/b] called every.single.incoming.freshmen. He called us all (of course I was out at the time), and asked how are summer was doing, and welcome to our high school. heh. That's just cool.[/color]