OtakuBoards

Hollywood

dposse

There has been many blockbuster movies the past year. Some of those movies are: The Lord of the Rings saga, The Matrix saga, and Pirates of the Caribbean. But have you noticed all the DC comics that have been redone into movies? There has been Spiderman, Daredevil, The Punisher(which comes to theaters soon), and Hellboy. So my question for you is: Has Hollywood lost all its creativity? Has Hollywood lost all new ideas for its movies? And after all these years, have they lost all the wonderful writers they used to have?

[quote name='dposse'] But have you noticed all the DC comics that have been redone into movies? There has been Spiderman, Daredevil, The Punisher(which comes to theaters soon), and Hellboy.[/quote]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]Actually, there haven't been [i]any[/i] DC movies in the past five years; all of those properties, sans Hellboy, are [i]Marvel[/i] Comics properties. Hellboy belongs to an independent publisher whose name escapes me at the moment. You also forgot "Road to Perdition" as being a comic book movie.

Besides, one could also argue that Hollywood was never creative to begin with. Out of the vast array of films created and produced in Hollywood every year, a relatiely small margin are any good. ('Good' being completely subjective.)

Aside from the rise in sci-fi/fantasy films and comic properties, (which, as much as it pains me to say, is most likely a fad), I think it's business as usual in Hollywood, creativity notwithstanding.

Then again, I'm not an expert; that's just my off-the-cuff jugement.[/color][/size][/font]

[color=darkviolet]From what I've seen in the theaters along with what I've been able to read in comic books, there are differences in the movies, even if they are based on Comics.

Correct me if I'm wrong (It happens sometimes) but In the comic books of the Hulk there is no mention of the guy's father killing his mother. However in the movie [spoiler]The guy s who's the Hulk has a flash back of his father killing his mother. Then he kills his father[/spoiler]

Well, that's all I have for I have no idea what. But at least it had a point right?[/color]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet]
Correct me if I'm wrong (It happens sometimes) but In the comic books of the Hulk there is no mention of the guy's father killing his mother. However in the movie [spoiler]The guy s who's the Hulk has a flash back of his father killing his mother. Then he kills his father[/spoiler]

[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo][font=comic sans ms]Actualy, in the comic, [spoiler]Bruce Banner's father wasn't a scientist or anything. He was an abusive alcoholic whose treatement of Bruce caused the majority of the mental problems that manifest themselves in the Hulk. I don't recall if Brian Banner killed Bruce's mother, (I was never too big a Hulk fan), but he might have.[/spoiler][/font][/color]

[color=navy]I wouldn't say Hollywood's lost all its creativity. It just seems that technology has reached the point where some mind-numbing special effects are rather easy to make, and comic books tend to contain images that probably could not have been convincingly made fifty years ago. And, after the success of the Spiderman movie, why wouldn't a Hollywood producer want to cash in on this fad?

Besides, not [i]all[/i] the movies out there are knock-offs of franchises from other mediums. Movies like Lost in Translation and The Day After Tomorrow are relatively original, and they did (or will do) relatively well. Hollywood's just taking advantage of computer graphics nowadays and accomplishing what they couldn't have a couple decades ago. Need I say more than "The old Superman movies"?

And good writers are still out there. Maybe the bulk of them aren't necessarily focusing on writing movies, though. Perhaps some write for television shows, or do scripts for comic books.

I do feel that remakes and film adaptations are a little too common in today's world, though. I'm not saying that having a movie based off a novel is bad- It's just that books tend to have very detailed stories, and fitting the depth of a two-hundred-page novel into a two hour movie isn't a very feasible task sometimes.[/color]

You could pretty much apply this sort of thought process to just about anything. Has music lost its originality? Has television lost its originality? Have books lost their originality?

It's really hard to be original these days, because [i]so many[/i] ideas have already been used. I think the closest that anyone can come to being "original" in this day and age is by combining elements of different genres to create something fresh (done quite often to varying effects with music, heh). This has undoubtedly been done in the movie industry, as well.

But, like OtakuSennen said, producers go after these sequels and adaptations because they want to make money. A known franchise will usually make more money than your average movie. Sucks, but that's how it goes (though not all film adaptations and sequels make lots of money).