OtakuBoards

The Ataris

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=darkviolet]No, not that video game console from the 80's sicne some of you may have been thinking about that, I mean the band the Ataris. Has anyone besides me heard of them.

The first time I heard their music was a remake of Boys of Summer by Don Henly. They sang pretty well, I downloaded the music video from the song adn they didn't look too bad either.

They've been out for a couple of years. The first CD they came out with was Look forwards to failure, their latest is So long Astoria (which has boys of summer and My reply on it).

So, does anyone else listen to their music and have an opinion?[/color]

Guest Chimaira
the ataries are a group mod band they have the peaceful riffs that work for them which most bands can't master, kinda like 'the calling' who also use the same type of music

Oh man even thought i love hardcore music i really like the ataris because i dont know if youve heard the saddist song but i have and the song is about how the lead singer never knew his dad. I can relate to that cause my dad left my mum before i was born :( Any way i think lyrically they are a great and i like the boys of summer aswell and i heard a few of their other songs and i think the songs he writes are personal to him and in my opion a little to personal.

I stopped paying attention to The Ataris quite awhile ago, mostly because I just am not interested in their sound much anymore. I kind of grew out of it, I guess. I'm never in the mood for it.

I know they've had some decent hits recently though, considering. They're relatively popular now. Previously their CDs all hit 100,000 copies which is good for a band of their type on a small label. I don't know what So Long Astoria is at, but I'm sure it's more. They've been around longer than a couple of years now, although it's not been all that long I suppose. Look Forward to Failure came out after Anywhere But Here, but it's listed as a 2002 rerelease instead of as the 1997 original release.

They've always been one of the best examples of their type of pop-punk, I think. In fact, they were one of the first bands of that type I was ever exposed to. It's nice that they're finally getting more recognition.

However, So Long Astoria was just totally unimpressive in my opinion. I don't really like how much they polished up the sound either. Kris Roe sounds almost completely different on that disc than he did when the band was on Kung Fu Records, even just a few years ago.

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts is a far better release... especially if you can get that remastered version that sounds a billion times nicer. The whole CD is full of some really great tracks.

They put out some live CD that was recorded at the Metro here in Chicago (where I saw Apocalypse Hoboken and will be seeing Muse this month)... I thought that was cool because a couple of my friends went to the show... plus they covered a Misfits song. That's always good.

[SIZE=1]I have their So Long Astoria CD and agree that they did a pretty good job on "The Boys of Summer". Usually I don't like remakes, but this one was pretty good. I really like that album overall. I haven't heard any of their earlier CDs, but it'd be interesting to find them and listen. I'd say overall they're pretty good and I like listening to them. =) Is it difficult finding their early releases or could I find them on, say, Amazon?[/SIZE]

[quote name='starphish][SIZE=1']Is it difficult finding their early releases or could I find them on, say, Amazon?[/SIZE][/quote]

Any decent record store should have them. I see most of their releases at Best Buy on a regular basis, even.

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']Any decent record store should have them. I see most of their releases at Best Buy on a regular basis, even.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Oh. We don't have a Best Buy where I live. I can just look around and see if I sport anything. Thanks, though![/SIZE]

[quote name='starphish][SIZE=1']Oh. We don't have a Best Buy where I live. I can just look around and see if I sport anything. Thanks, though![/SIZE][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]I lived in East Po-Dunk Texas and we had a Best Buy, however, that's neither here nor there.

You could try MEdia Play, Sam Goody, Sun Coast, FYE, Target or any other music store in your area they should have at least one of those.

If not you can always try ordering online. and good luck![/color]

The Ataris are a pretty cool band. I wouldn't put them in my favorites but still they would be a band I would listen to if I heard on the radio or on TV. I like how they remade The Boys Of Summer. That rocked! I l;iked a few other songs but wasnt fond of the rest. They are a pretty sweet band overall..