OtakuBoards

Great Anime that is not known in America

dposse

Does anyone know of a good anime that hasn't been shown, or isn't well known, in America? I was wondering this because I have been looking at some posts on Otaku Boards and there has been some mention of anime that I have never heard before. So, if you know of any Anime that isn't known in America, post it here!

Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars Season isn't shown in America to the best of my knowlege...and I think Hikari no Go (or something to that effect) and hunter x hunter (to the best of my knowledge) and what they do show is usually edited :flaming: ...I really need to move to Japan...

[quote name='Akiya Debisu']I really need to move to Japan...[/quote]

Oh, I don't know about that. In my opinion, we foreigners are quite well off; with a decent Internet connection, you have access to incredible amounts of anime, and domestic releases usually cost far less than R2 Japanese DVDs.

I guess I'll just mention a few unlicensed shows. These aren't exactly obscure... all the same, I think they satisfy your qualifications.

[b]Gunslinger Girl:[/b] Thought-provoking and beautifully animated, this series should appeal to any fan of serious action anime. It relies primarily on strong character development, not slick battle sequences, but offers plenty of both. GSG's voice acting, background music and artwork are also superb.

[b]Shingetsutan Tsukihime:[/b] Although Tsukihime took its storyline from an immensely popular hentai game, the twelve-episode series is admirably subtle and restrained. It features beautiful, exotic women but almost no gratuitous fanservice. While one of the main characters is a powerful vampire, she has more in common with Vampire Princess Miyu than Hellsing's Alucard. Similarly, Tsukihime focuses more on relationships, mysteries and impending tragedy than on violence. This makes it unique and extraordinarily enjoyable.

~Dagger~

Seeing as most of the best anime contains elements that are considered to be detrimental to the 'innocent and impressionable' minds of the young American public, I have a feeling that this board may be here for some time.

And that _does_ depend on what you mean by 'well-known'. For instance, Yami no Matsuei has never been shown on American television, nor the manga released, yet it's one of the most 'well-known' yaoi series. (Which says a lot about the status of yaoi in our popular culture. That isn't the point.)

Hikaru no Go, as was mentioned, is a series of a similar background, although it has been previewed in Shounen Jump and will be released by VIZ...eventually.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]there's one anime called [i]Saishu-Heiki Kanojo[/i] that i recently received as a present from my older brother and fell in love with. as far as i know, it's not too well known (although i live in Colorado, where very few people i know give a flying flip about anime).

SaiKano is the story of Chise and Shuuji, two high school students who 'decide' to fall in love after a disastrous first few weeks of a relationship. It's World War III, but this hasn't really affected Shuuji until one shopping trip, when he discovers the surprising secret about his beloved Chise.

there are a few bad points to this anime. the animation isn't all that great, more suited for a comedy such as FLCL or Excel Saga, and you never learn anything more about the war, like who is fighting whom.

but on the whole, it's a very enjoyable anime. =^_^=[/FONT]

[quote name='Akiya Debisu']and I think Hikari no Go[/quote]
*sweatdrop*
Hikaru no Go. HikarU U U U U U
Ahh~ such a wonderful manga... And it's in Shonen Jump USA now.

Good Anime that is not known in America hm?
Lots of new ones.
[b]Paranoia Agent[/b] is great. It's new, but I love it already.
[b]Peace Maker Kurgane[/b] was good too. Was my favourite series and is currently fighting with PA for that title. ^_^
[b]Card Captor Sakura[/b] is commonly known as Cardcaptors in the USA. So many things have changed that it might as well be a different series all together. Thus American fans would not know of Sakura's boyfriend, or that the events took place in Tokyo. *swt* Same goes for Yu-Gi-Oh!
[b]Read or Die: OVA[/b] was a great three episodes. Similar to James Bond, but doubtful of the release in the USA seeing that it makes fun of the American president so badly.
[b]King of Bandits Jing[/b] has a manga translated, but I'm not sure if the Anime Series is... Funny, creative, unique.

Hm... that's all I can think of for now.

-ArV

According to the Japanese, the [i]great[/i] titles are those which have [i]stood the test of time[/i]. Top winners in polls are series like Doraemon (#1), Lupin III TV (#2), Heidi (#3), Chibi Maruko-chan (#6) and Dr. Slump (#10). Evangelion, you ask? [b]77th[/b] in a poll I am looking at (a top 100 from 1992), way behind Touch (#19) or Dragonball (#31). Sailor Moon? #82.

I won't argue that Dragonball is better than Evangelion, but this poll points out that it is important to get to know older titles, especially for viewers seeking hidden gold. Older titles, with their simpler and more robust outlook and vital urge to tell a story, possess charms that more recent and (allegedly) more "sophisticated" titles cannot.

I recommend "3000 Leagues in Search of Mother" (#18 in the poll). It is one of the "World Masterpiece Theater" series ("Heidi" is one of these titles) which are consistently ranked as some of the best anime ever made. Live-eviL began fansubbing it early this year. 3000 Leagues is an all-ages show, which makes it a good place to start for any viewer. Many of the other titles can be gotten from other fansubbers.

There are a few anime series that isn't shown too much in the states that I've seen. GoldenBoy is a great comedy (only 6 episodes long, though) about an idiot who tries to get laid, and when he's about to get some, he leaves unexpectedly. I also like Chobits and uh...I guess that's it...can't remember any of the others I've seen.

D.N.Angel, manga is being released
Gravitation, the tv series the manga is being released
just to name a couple....

[color=hotpink][size=1]Please be more descriptive with your posts or ones like this will be deleted in the future. *QA*[/color][/size]

[color=firebrick] Schweeet, [b]DN Angel[/b] has finally come to US shores. ^_^. The anime will probably come as well, although it's not nearly as good as the manga. :/ I can't judge it too much, because I've seen so little, but other people say most of it is filler and it gets sidetracked from the manga. *shrugs*

[b]Gravitation[/b] is coming, and it's really a great anime. :toothy: I managed to get this cheap version boxset from the internet, I love it so much. It's hilarious and a well-made anime/manga, but it depends if you're into shounen-ai or not.

For some reason I don't know a whole lot of people who have watched [b]3x3 Eyes[/b], which is a really great anime classic. I'm sort of surprised many people don't know about it...you have to check it out.[/color]

[COLOR=GREEN]Well, there was a recently licenced series called "The Twelve Kingdoms" that I just came into contact with. I've only seen the first few episodes, but it looks really good. Also a manga that I just started reading called "Get Backers" previewed not long ago in an issue of "Anime Insider." Oh, and I just remembered another anime, "Lain" which can be confusing, but looks good all the same.[/COLOR]

[quote name='maladjusted][color=firebrick][b]Gravitation[/b'] is coming, and it's really a great anime. :toothy: I managed to get this cheap version boxset from the internet, I love it so much. It's hilarious and a well-made anime/manga, but it depends if you're into shounen-ai or not.[/color][/quote]

*gasps* You bought a bootleg!? Well, I hope you'll invest in TSRI's domestic DVDs when Gravitation finally receives its North American release. I've already witnessed several catfights over copies of the Gravitation manga; if I'm lucky, the upcoming vol. 1 + artbox will provide an equal amount of entertainment. Heaven knows I'd be the first to join in such a fray. ^_^;

[b]Gokusen[/b] is a marvelous, hilarious show. It's made me laugh more often than any other anime (including Fruits Basket and the aforementioned Gravitation). GTO fans will probably enjoy watching the main character struggle to tame her unruly high school students. And as is the case with many recent series, Gokusen's artwork looks brightly colored, solid and consistent.

~Dagger~

When is the Gravitation anime going to be released here? I already have the series in japanese, but I'm going to buy the domestic release as well. I also have all of the released mangas as well. Also who is releasing it?

[COLOR=Navy]Let's try not to go off on a tangent. Post your questions in the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=33793&page=3][u]Gravitation[/u][/URL] thread and I'll be happy to answer them. ^_^

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue] I began just the other day watching a show that is entitled, "Stellvia of the Universe." This is a surprisingly good show. Unfortuantly, I was only able to see three episodes of the series before it got licensed. Not only did this show have some good animation, but I was just starting to get to some character development. I can't wait till this series is licenced in the US.

The one thing i have to admit annoyed me a tad bit was the computer generated graphics. They could have been of a better quality. But over all, for only seeing three episodes, I'd give it a 8/10.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[i]*gasps* You bought a bootleg!? Well, I hope you'll invest in TSRI's domestic DVDs when Gravitation finally receives its North American release. [/i]

[color=firebrick]Haha, well, not really. :3 It's the real deal from Japan, but it's like uber-cheap on this website. You can PM me for the address. I [b]did[/b] get a bootleg Cowboy Bebop CD, though. >_>[/color]

Since it isn't being sold in the US on DVD yet, I'll consider this to be "new". There's a series called, "Full Metal Alchemist" that i believe is rather recent. Its a story about two brothers who can use alchemy, in the anime it's a form of science. I've seen the first episode, and I rather enjoyed it. Another good anime I'm looking out for is called "Azumanga Daioh", its about the lives of 6 high school girls and three of their teachers as they go through high school. It's based off of the manga, which was in a 4 panel form... which the one reviewer deemed unusual for manga; making it into an anime was akin to making a comic like Garfield in to a show. (They're nothing like each other, btw.)

Yay! Great and unknown (i think) anime:

PRINCESS TUTU. So cool!!!!! Nutcracker plot with twist(s). Ever heard of it? I saw it on mIRC and dwnlded it. Fell in love with Fakir and the series. It's about a duck who turns into a girl to help a prince get pieces of his heart back. That's not all. If i went on, it would take about 4 pages and I just DON'T have the energy to type all this out! Grat animation, awesome story, and...it's just sugoi!

FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE. Awesome. Just awesome. I mean wow! About: a girl named Mitsuki has cancer in her throat, and is going to die in a year, Suddenly, Shinagami (death god pplz) come and grant her a wish. (well, she kinda forced them, cuz she's not supposed to see them and yeah) her wish: To become a singer so her boyfriend in the US can hear her for hte last time since she can't find him. SO GOOD. Animation: it's average. Plot: Another work of Tanemura Arina which means shoujo mahou. That's it! ^_^

The whole first season of Yu-Gi-Oh!- Personally, no matter how much blood is in this, THIS SHOULD BE KNOWN!

The Prince of Tennis- Hopefully, since so far that I've known, it's not bloody, and also, it's making it's appearance in manga form on May 10 in the US of A!

Thats all I can think of.

Guest gendou ikari
[QUOTE=G/S/B Master]The whole first season of Yu-Gi-Oh!- Personally, no matter how much blood is in this, THIS SHOULD BE KNOWN!

The Prince of Tennis- Hopefully, since so far that I've known, it's not bloody, and also, it's making it's appearance in manga form on May 10 in the US of A!

Thats all I can think of.[/QUOTE]

Both of these animes that you mentioned,I personaly think that they should not be considered "great animes";however that is your opinion and not mine, so I sould not be chewing you out about it, and if I insulted you,then I am very sorry. But in reply to the topic question,I think that Peace Maker Kuragane is a wonderful anime that is to my knolege (which is usualy proven wrong)not known in the states.The plot is really nothing special but the character development and emotions are what makes it "wonderful".I am sorry if I did not put enough quality in my post but I am sort of sleepy. :sleep: Oh yeah! I saw a fairly interesting anime article involving a new anime called Full Metal Alchemist, It looked somewhat interesting and thought provoking. It is (once again to my knolege) about two brothers,one of them is a soul inside of an iron cage and the other is an alchemist who sacrificed his arm and leg to save his brother. Thats all I know of (and im probably wrong :laugh: ).

You're definitely improving, Gendo. Keep up the good work. ^_^

In any event, I couldn't help noticing that you'd mentioned Peace Maker Kurogane (which is among my favorite series). I avoided commenting on this show earlier because anything I say about it is bound to be somewhat over-effusive. However, I won't hesitate to second your remarks. PMK is a delightful, well-done anime that manages to strike the perfect balance between comedy and drama. I sincerely hope that it will be licensed as soon as possible--most likely by either Geneon or ADV, which owns the second manga series--and once it comes to North America, I'm sure the series is going to gain a strong following among Kenshin fans.

At the very least, it'll attract a [i]ton[/i] of fangirls. ^_~

~Dagger~

Guest Seraph
They're older animes, but I always thought they deserved much more recognition then they recieved: Mermaid Scare and Mermaid Forest.
They are so deep and touching and the story is nicely written. The art work is ok, very reminisent of Ranma 1/2 (could even be the same artist). Either way, they are not well known in the U.S.

Midori no hibi, Paranoia agent, Hi no tori, Maburaho (VERY anxious to own this one), and Kaze no yojimbo

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Considering the sizes of your other posts I was surprised that this one was so short. Try and include reasons why you want to see these particular anime, or even what it is about them that you like in future. Really, this isn't very acceptable. -Solo[/COLOR][/b][/SIZE]