OtakuBoards

My ps2 is racist. It's not playing Playstation one games.

Senor Ding Dong

[QUOTE=Senor Ding Dong]It's not playing 5/5 Ps1 games. I got Xenogears today, and i put it in (It's brand new BTW), it doesn't work. None of my other PS1 games do, yet my PS2 games do.

I am NOT spending 90+ dollars on repair.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we'll not get into another ridiculous "Do 49 things to your PS2 I heard from a guy who heard it off a web site and hope it works" thread like the last one.

However, if you call Sony and tell them that discs are not working they fix it for free. This is part of some settlement over a lawsuit they lost, supposedly.

I did this with my brother's PS2, which was far past warranty. I just told him the issue and I answered some basic questions (don't tell them anything more than they ask). He said they'd offer to fix it for free and he told me where to send it to. I spent like $10 on shipping and insurance and got it back within a week. It ran like new and they even replaced a busted part and fixed some other things.

That's the route I'd take.

[quote name='Senor Ding Dong']I already did that. It's not the disks, it's the system. And i called them, and they told me it would cost 90+ dollars to get it fixed. Besides, it's not under warranty anymore.[/quote]

First of all, I never said it was the discs. I sent the system in because it wouldn't read the discs. Same issue as you. Second of all, we weren't under warranty either. I believe I directly said that in my post.

As for you calling and them saying that, I don't know what to tell you. Based on my two experiences with this issue they've been willing to fix the lens to read the games for free. Unless you weren't very specific about what the issue was, I'm not sure why they would have told you that.

If you want to mess around with the PS2 and get it to read stuff yourself, go to GameFAQs.com and look up a PS2 hardware FAQ. They have a couple about fixing PS2s there and anything anyone could tell you here would be in one of them.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I don't want to build on this thread anymore than needs doing but just a piece of advice:

If you still are keen on fighting to get it repaired by Sony for free, then don't touch the insides at all as it will be regarded as a fault of your own and you will definately end up having to pay for it. Plus, if you have any sort of added chip inside your PS2 then your chances are doomed, so be careful in the process.[/COLOR] ;)

[quote name='Senor Ding Dong']I already did that. It's not the disks, it's the system. And i called them, and they told me it would cost 90+ dollars to get it fixed. Besides, it's not under warranty anymore.[/quote]
[color=darkslateblue]I'm not sure why they would charge you over $90 to get it fixed. My PS2 had a problem a while back where it wouldn't read [i]any [/i]disks at all, and, like with Semjaza Azazel's brother's PS2, they told me where to send it after I answered some basic questions, and that they'd fix it for free. Mine was also no longer under warranty, and, like Semjaza Azazel, I only had to pay shipping and handling. Unfortunately, I didn't get mine back for a month or so...I guess maybe my problem was harder to fix or something. Either that, or they had a lot of others to fix. However, I did get it back, and it worked like new.[/color]
[color=darkslateblue][/color]
[color=darkslateblue]So, really, I don't know why they'd charge you for it. Maybe you should try calling again and try to find some way to reason with them so that you could get it repaired for free. Just state what the problem is, and if they're supposed to fix the lens for free, then they should. Who knows, maybe the person you spoke with on the phone was new and didn't know about the policy too well, or was just in a bad mood or something.[/color]

• 1 month later...
Guest shinta
this happend to me and mine was past warrenty and they still took it and fixed it for free. then i kept breaking down so finally i got a new playstation 2

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]This has happened to my ps2 just like 2 weeks ago, and a matter of fact I sent it in Thursday and just got it back on monday. Plus it was 2 years over warranty, and they still fixed it for free, so I honestly don't know what to says is call again and if they say that again start tellin about all the people you heard from who told you this. Hope this helps.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][CENTER]50 out[/CENTER][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]