OtakuBoards

Political manga - good idea? advice needed!

asukastrikes

I have recently written a plot for a manga im planning to create.. it includes the 'basics' - bit of action, adventure and a little romance thrown in, but the plot is based on political issues.. let me explain..
I happen to live in a town which has the biggest bomb factory in the uk, its called the atomic weapons establishment and they are currently working on 'project trident', the biggest nuclear missile ever built in the uk. As i have been on a protest against this and greatly oppose what theyre doing, i decided to incorporate this into my manga. there is also a lot to do with bush and blair.. heres the plot:
its time for the next general election in britain, michael howard (conservative) has been in power for the last 5 years and expects to win again this year, however bush wants his 'robot' (hehe..) tony blair to be elected so he can again take control over what happens in the uk. with the help of tony he riggs the vote and labour gain victory. now he has power again bush decides to 'take the partnership with the US one step further' and turn the uk into US territory called 'eagle island', no one in the uk knows about this decision, however 3 british teens, kerry, matt and anthony are on holiday in the US at the time and they see posters informing the american public of the news. they are shocked and go back to the uk to tell everyone.. they arrive to find everything is becoming more like america.. (even the houses of parliament have become 'the white house.. of parliament' lol)...all of britains' traditional pubs and castles and monuments are either covered up or destroyed.. anyway to cut a long story short ..(theres a LOT of detail) after numerous events blair's 'true identity' as a robot is revealsed on uk television as the stress of the protests (including both americans and britons) causes him to malfunction and melts his 'skin' off (lol). angered at his loss of power bush uses the one last power he has left in the uk.. the trident missile! he tells everyone that he will cause it to self destruct.. thats when the heroic teens come to the rescue (eventually) they deactivate the bomb and everyones saved including britains national identity!

this would look cool on paper but i need to know if it's an ok idea.. i know this concept may offend people and revealing the 'secret' of my neighbouring bomb factory in this way may be a bad idea if it ever got published.. and would the storyline prevent it from being published? i need advice on this before i get started,
thanks!

Yeah, I was just thinking that when you mentioned a missile in the UK. I was like "Should she be saying that?" But if it's big news everywhere, I don't see why you couldn't. But if not, I suggest making up an imaginary weapon.

Also, you make the US sound like bitches XD I'm an American and I don't mind it since it's just a manga with an interesting plotline, but there are those people out there who get offended by a fly touching their shirt collar. I'd watch it with this. It's contriversial (sp?).

It sounds interesting, but the whole teens coming to the rescue dealy... I'd like to learn more about that because otherwise, it sounds cliche. I'm sorry, but these days, I've read a lot of manga ideas and all of them seem to have teenagers saving the day. I mean, get real people. Us lazy teenagers doing work? Come on now XD

But new concept, anyhow. I'm intrigued, milady :)

well thanks for not freaking out and being offended.. i was worried that would happen.. lol.
firstly, it may have been unclear as i was very brief in the description of the plot.. the only 'baddy' here is the president.. all the americans in this story are supporting the brits on this one. this is shown as they form their own protests against the decision. as for the teens - cliche i know, but one of them had to know basic bomb facts to de-activate it.. and who better than a teenage boy.. i mean, he would look at bomb books for general curiosity, whereas if it was a grown man reading books about bombs, ud think he was some kind of terrorist, lol. hope that didnt sound sexist or ageist. also.. these teens are in a rock band.. and they use that as one of the ways to try and tell the british public the truth (at one of their gigs).. although that method ends up failing ^_^ but anyway..
the teenagers are kind of representing the fact that youths today are much more aware politically, i started college last year and i went to the london protest against bush's visit with some politics students, and the amount of students that were there in london was astonishing.. this was basically my inspiration for writing this story, thats why the age of the characters is important.

as for the trident project... i could say 'a.w.e' to some people in my town and they wouldnt know what i was on about! yet somehow it appears to be known more globally.. im unsure how many people know about it as its not publisized a lot.. thats why i was worried, i guess i partly wanted to include this in it to improve public awareness, but i was worried it could prevent it from being published.. what do u think?

Ah, well, now see, you want it published. There's the thing. You may wanna watch out for big things like the Trident project then or you may get in trouble. I have no idea about it, but I'd be cautious. I once wrote part of a book and my main character was a renegade priest. I got yelled at by my religious friend XD

That and the american thing. You may be yelled at by some of them, but you're not going to get in trouble for doing it. I dunno if it'll prevent you from getting it published. It might be a nice change of pace from normal mangas, IMO. Of course, I don't read manga ^_^;

And now you've given me more background on the kids. That's better. It's not so cliche anymore. Just the mention of a group of teens out to save the day totally turns my mind off a book or whatnot. Unless there's background like you have, I'm not reading it. It all sounds good and I like the idea about the gigs. You may not want to kill that idea off completely in the story.

Funny thing is I'm playing my guitar while I read your post XD

[QUOTE=asukastrikes]I have recently written a plot for a manga im planning to create.. it includes the 'basics' - bit of action, adventure and a little romance thrown in, but the plot is based on political issues.. let me explain..
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]A manga is likd of like an illustrated novel. I suggest be very clear on the point of the story. Political thrillers work best on using parallel identiies for the countries. By using a specific name, soem people may feel emotional, and not pause to read the story. List the main point of the story-- your have several that I see including: 1. loss of national identity 2. evil weapone being produced at a "hidden site" 3. Evil weapon under control of foreign leader.. if you can select on e or 2 goals of the story, it becomes easier to write (and illustrate). By leaving the tiny specifics out (ie instead of UK, name the country something else more vague) more people can relate to the story. Good luck, interesting idea. Whatever ponts you don't use in this story, are certaintly wonderful parts of the next one![/FONT]

thanks both of you for your advice.. and thanks mamma vash for your ideas of changing the country names.. its a good thought, but the concept of the story relys on current issues.. and that means it would still include a 'president' and a 'prime minister' which would give the game away quite easily.. The idea of 'loss of national identity" is the main concept of the story..and so is the idea of the 'blair robot'. lots of people here (and in the US, i think) think that our prime minister acts as a 'puppet' to the american president, thats why in this story hes a robot! thats why bush and blair have to be in the story, if they had different names no one would understand the joke!
i reckon im gona draw this anyway, if it gets published or not it doesnt matter cause i wanna create it anyway.. (and i have another non-political manga story in development too) i guess ive made this plot rather personal as it represents my own feelings about our current political leaders (and the missile in my town!) but anyway if any of you still have ideas or opinions on my story dont hesitate to tell me!