OtakuBoards

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Guest ScirosDarkblade

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this film already, but then again it's not that new anymore.

Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of my favorite films. It is a delicious mixture of so many elements--action, romance, mystery, horror, it's all there. Based on the real but unexplained "beast of Gevaudan," which was responsible for 100 dead bodies between 1764 and 1767 (this takes place 25 years before the French Revolution), Brotherhood of the Wolf has two ridiculously badass heroes--Sir Gregoire de Fronsac, and his Iroquois "brother" Mani--sent from Paris to the region of Gevaudan to investigate "the beast" and help the king of France put an end to the matter.

As Fronsac and Mani proceed with the investigation they uncover far more than anyone ever expected, and what was initially a trip for the sake of naturalizing the beast (as Fronsac intended), became a mission to uncover a sinister plot, stop the killing, and get bloody vengeance.

Brotherhood of the Wolf, expertly directed by Christophe Gans (one of the few directors who manages to create unbelievable immersion in a film, frequently by shooting [i]through foliage[/i] or other surroundings), created two of the coolest characters ever in film, right up there with even Indiana Jones. Its scene transitions are among the best I have ever seen (nobody can top Monica Belucci's naked breasts turning into two snowy hills on a cold night. [i]Nobody[/i]). Its music is fantastic. In addition it communicates some interesting messages, even if some are anti-religious.

If you haven't seen this work, that so masterfully blends so many film genres and even throws in martial arts for good measure, then you owe it to yourself to rent (or, better yet, buy) the DVD and watch it. With subtitles. It's French.

Who here has seen the film and also thinks that it's just awesome?

[color=green]I have seen this film. I saw it in the theatre when it first hit in the States. I watched it one more time when it first hit video.

To adequately respond to your comments on it, I would have to watch it again, and who has the time? It's a very long movie.

It does blend several different genres, and from what I remember it does it relatively well, although I, personaly, feel that they may have overdone the subplots, numberwise. Sometimes it is a bit hard to keep up. I remember thinking it was very well shot though, you're right about that.

As for the "cool characters" Are you speaking of the naturalist and his Iroquois friend particularly? I would, in my mind, by no means rank them with Indiana Jones. That is just my opinion though. I found the Frenchman pompous, and the Iroquis, there wasn't enough of. I did like him, though. I found Vincent Cassell to be a really excellent addition to the cast. He is usually an excellent addition to anything. He play...THE ONE-ARMED MAN! no, really, there is a one-armed man and he played him.[/color]

I loved this film. I saw it originally in the theaters and then bought the DVD. The only problem I have with it is the wolf/beast. The CG was/were? terrible. It was so pixilated. I thought the set designs were the best thing and the cinematography was top-notch too.I loved when they were riding through the forest during the hunt and they slowed down the motion when they jumped over the log and their red capes were flapping....beautiful. All in all I really liked it, especially considering how the French normally don't 'do action/martial art movies.' It was a job well done, in my eyes.

[quote name='Molleta][color=green'] I found the Frenchman pompous[/color][/quote]

What's new? :rolleyes:

[size=1]Two words, "great movie." Even though I didnt like the way it was dubbed and how their mouths saying something but it comes out totally different(its a just a thing with me), it was great. I didnt like how it ended though, with [spoiler]the wolf ending up being a lion[/spoiler] but a great movie indeed.[/size]

Guest ScirosDarkblade
Note: if you haven't seen the film, do yourself a huge favor and DON'T READ THE SPOILERS! Watch the film first!

[quote name='Serraph-Angel][size=1] I didnt like how it ended though, with [spoiler]the wolf ending up being a lion[/spoiler'] but a great movie indeed.[/size][/quote]

Heh. I actually liked that, because it was a very clever way to dispel the myth. It made more sense than any other [spoiler]animal[/spoiler], really. The only thing is the CG made it worse (as well as the creature animation). Here's why: [spoiler]the size of the beast was a bit inconsistent. In one scene its not that big and its master can pull the pitchfork out of its side without any trouble. In another scene, where it's fighting three dogs in an arena, it's like a rhinoceros. Another problem: lions would probably use their claws or something to attack their prey (or jump and try to break the neck). The beast seriously did a lot of "head swinging," making it really seem like a rhino. Especially in the scene where the beast crashes into the home of Marianne's aunt/uncle. So the actual shots of the beast really throw you off from thinking it's a lion. But I'm gonna blame that on the CG and animation folks, not the screenwriter or director. Well, the director a little.[/spoiler]

[QUOTE=ScirosDarkblade]Note: if you haven't seen the film, do yourself a huge favor and DON'T READ THE SPOILERS! Watch the film first!

Heh. I actually liked that, because it was a very clever way to dispel the myth. It made more sense than any other [spoiler]animal[/spoiler], really. The only thing is the CG made it worse (as well as the creature animation). Here's why: [spoiler]the size of the beast was a bit inconsistent. In one scene its not that big and its master can pull the pitchfork out of its side without any trouble. In another scene, where it's fighting three dogs in an arena, it's like a rhinoceros. Another problem: lions would probably use their claws or something to attack their prey (or jump and try to break the neck). The beast seriously did a lot of "head swinging," making it really seem like a rhino. Especially in the scene where the beast crashes into the home of Marianne's aunt/uncle. So the actual shots of the beast really throw you off from thinking it's a lion. But I'm gonna blame that on the CG and animation folks, not the screenwriter or director. Well, the director a little.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Which is basically all I said.